Learning Foundational

dragos.mocanu

Last weekend I attended some calligraphy sessions (my first ever..but I'm 'only' 23, so I hope it's not too late :D ), and we learned the basic principles of the Foundational Hand, angles, slant (can you use the term 'slant' if it refers to a vertical line?), basic shapes and the small-case letters.

Here's the result of one week of practice from basically... 0:

10959522_1383423278635686_41761283544002

I'm still struggling with keeping my lines perfectly straight (I should line my practice paper vertically as well I guess...), and with the very last 5 letters of the alphabet: v, w, x, y and z.

It's a really fun hand and I believe much can be learned about what calligraphy actually is from this apparently simple script (I'm saying that because I have enormous issues with patience... Luckily, you can't write that fast when you're wielding a 2.4 Pilot Parallel, and using 2-3 or more strokes for a single letter....can't wait to apply these principles to my mangled Italic).

Edited by Murky

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randal6393

• Katharine

• ehemem

• Lively

Last weekend I attended some calligraphy sessions (my first ever..but I'm 'only' 23, so I hope it's not too late :D ), and we learned the basic principles of the Foundational Hand, angles, slant (can you use the term 'slant' if it refers to a vertical line?), basic shapes and the small-case letters.

Here's the result of one week of practice from basically... 0:

10959522_1383423278635686_41761283544002

I'm still struggling with keeping my lines perfectly straight (I should line my practice paper vertically as well I guess...), and with the very last 5 letters of the alphabet: v, w, x, y and z.

It's a really fun hand and I believe much can be learned about what calligraphy actually is from this apparently simple script (I'm saying that because I have enormous issues with patience... Luckily, you can't write that fast when you're wielding a 2.4 Pilot Parallel, and using 2-3 or more strokes for a single letter....can't wait to apply these principles to my mangled Italic).

I am green with envy. I have long wanted to learn calligraphy. It is not offered anywhere near me and the travel from one end of my state to another is not feasible or possible for me to do. Your calligraphy hand looks good for a week's worth of lessons. Like you, I am also impatient. I have a computer disk purchased in which a man instructs in beginner calligraphy. Also, I have as a lefthanded person, couple of books for learning calligraphy. Yet think it would be awesome to take an actual class with a person and others who are also struggling to learn and have someone who is there to guide. Keep up the good work, it will probably continue to be fun and another form to enjoy another aspect of writing instruments. :thumbup:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I love writing foundation hand. I like italic too, but I prefer the rounder letter shape of foundation and with italic it's a constant battle to remember not to go round.

I am teaching myself at home from a couple of books and exemplars found on the Internet. I'm sure I'd benefit from a teacher but it's not affordable (money or time) at the moment.

Very nice! Congratulations, definite improvement.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Very nice! Congratulations, definite improvement.

Enjoy,

Hi Randall, I'm not the original poster. I'm just pleased to find a thread about learning foundational and thought I'd add my efforts. I don't get a lot of time to practise (3 little kids) but I try to write the alphabet a couple of times a week in foundational and italic. I started with a Sheaffer calligraphy pen and then upgraded to the Pilot Parallel. I like that no ink drips out of the Pilot pens even if they're carried in my bag all the time.

• 2 months later...

I am green with envy. I have long wanted to learn calligraphy. It is not offered anywhere near me and the travel from one end of my state to another is not feasible or possible for me to do. Your calligraphy hand looks good for a week's worth of lessons. Like you, I am also impatient. I have a computer disk purchased in which a man instructs in beginner calligraphy. Also, I have as a lefthanded person, couple of books for learning calligraphy. Yet think it would be awesome to take an actual class with a person and others who are also struggling to learn and have someone who is there to guide. Keep up the good work, it will probably continue to be fun and another form to enjoy another aspect of writing instruments. :thumbup:

I am in the same situation as you. I have been looking around but there were no instructor in my area. There was one, but I think she moved to teach at a school which is very far from where I live. She is such a nice lady and I am sure a great teacher, but I was going for a Bachelor of Arts part-time. Calligraphy was not my priority at the time she was in my area. The only consolation we have is that technology kinds of help. We can at least get some videos today.

To the OP

Very beautiful. I think a lot of us struggle with keeping the various lines perfectly parallel. I still struggle with this when writing in italic, and I have been practising for quite some time now.

Edited by patrickfp

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack, but it seems the topic has wandered anyway. Are there good books or websites for learning Foundational? I figure it might be a good hand to start with (my interests don't lie further than Foundational, Italic, and perhaps Uncial). I've looked at a couple resources but the letterforms seem slightly different between them, so I thought maybe I'd better choose one and stick with it. (I've yet to find any classes in my area. The website of the local guild doesn't list anything, and I've not contacted them to ask, as I would rather take a class than one-on-one private lessons.)

I've just started with this tutorial on WetCanvas for majuscules. I also have a couple books on hold at the library: Johnston's Writing And Illuminating And Lettering. I'll also be checking out Shepherd's Learn Calligraphy.

One book I do have from the library right now that I like, and might buy, is A Creative Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering Calligraphy, by Timothy Noad. I like that each letter has its own pair of facing pages, and it compares both the majuscules and minuscules for Foundational, Italic, and Uncial.

Good, thanks. I was hoping it would have the exemplars and show how to form the letters and such, rather than just talking about it academically without teaching it.

Am away from my books, but try Graily Hewitt's Lettering for work on Foundational. Yes, Edward Johnston was the originator of the hand. His WIL (Writing and Illuminating and Lettering) covers a lot of ground and discusses a theory of writing, as opposed to a ductus.

Hewitt was one of Johnston's students and provides a clearer picture of writing. Both are well worth reading.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Sorry to hijack, but it seems the topic has wandered anyway. Are there good books or websites for learning Foundational? I figure it might be a good hand to start with (my interests don't lie further than Foundational, Italic, and perhaps Uncial). I've looked at a couple resources but the letterforms seem slightly different between them, so I thought maybe I'd better choose one and stick with it. (I've yet to find any classes in my area. The website of the local guild doesn't list anything, and I've not contacted them to ask, as I would rather take a class than one-on-one private lessons.)

I've just started with this tutorial on WetCanvas for majuscules. I also have a couple books on hold at the library: Johnston's Writing And Illuminating And Lettering. I'll also be checking out Shepherd's Learn Calligraphy.

One book I do have from the library right now that I like, and might buy, is A Creative Step-by-Step Guide to Mastering Calligraphy, by Timothy Noad. I like that each letter has its own pair of facing pages, and it compares both the majuscules and minuscules for Foundational, Italic, and Uncial.

By all means, Katherine, buy Noad's book. Looks like a good guide to the hands you are interested in. Shepherd's Learn Calligraphy is also a great resource. Most important, wind up your wrist, load up your pen, and write! No other way will you learn what suits and appeals to you.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

Good, thanks. I was hoping it would have the exemplars and show how to form the letters and such, rather than just talking about it academically without teaching it.

My exemplar might be of use.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Foundational%20modified%20600.jpghttp://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Untitled-600.jpg

Edited by Caliken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Foundational%20modified%20600.jpghttp://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Untitled-600.jpg

Very nice rendition! Thanks!

Murky, it's certainly going to be a long time before anything I produce will look that good! I'll feel accomplished when I can keep my vertical lines straight. :) (I apologize for hijacking your thread and will stop if you want. It just happened that I found it as I started learning, and it had started sort of turning to talk of technique, so I wasn't sure if I ought to start an entirely new thread on Foundational for my questions-- of which I admit I'm developing many. I certainly can, though, if anyone finds it more appropriate to start a purely-technique-focused thread.)

Lively, I'd settle for your "messy" version any day, too. :)

Am away from my books, but try Graily Hewitt's Lettering for work on Foundational. Yes, Edward Johnston was the originator of the hand. His WIL (Writing and Illuminating and Lettering) covers a lot of ground and discusses a theory of writing, as opposed to a ductus.

Hewitt was one of Johnston's students and provides a clearer picture of writing. Both are well worth reading.

Best of luck,

Great; thanks, Randal. I'll see if I can find Hewitt's book, too.

*sigh* Ken, your exemplars are always something to aspire to! May I print it? I might need to tack it to the wall! (I, ahem, may have found myself looking at books and rejecting them because "their version" doesn't look quite like yours, lol.)

• 2 weeks later...

Am away from my books, but try Graily Hewitt's Lettering for work on Foundational.

Is there a particular edition you'd recommend? I see several on Amazon. I assume it has been updated over the years... is one preferable that you know of, or are the changes minimal?

*sigh* Ken, your exemplars are always something to aspire to! May I print it? I might need to tack it to the wall! (I, ahem, may have found myself looking at books and rejecting them because "their version" doesn't look quite like yours, lol.)

Please feel free to print out my exemplar - (sorry for the late response!)

Ken

Any of the editions should be good. My preference is for as old an edition as I can find. The original hardcover has very clear illustrations and more "space" around the writing. The full title is "Lettering for Students and Craftspeople ... with 403 illustrationgs by Graily Hewitt". And look for an unabridged edition.

My edition dates from 1930, Amazon is selling a similar version for ~ $ 13.00. The 1993 paper-back can be had for as little as $ 2.00. So, good luck and happy hunting,

Yours,
Randal