Ranga Ebonite Fountain Pens

Uncial

I've often been tempted by the Ranga ebonite fountain pens and they have had good reviews, from what I have seen, Most of the ones from sold from India are marketed as eye droppers and seem very good value, whereas most of the ones from the US seem to have converters fitted and are almost three times the price (if not more). I'm not overly keen on eyedroppers because of the risk of 'burp', so if I got a Ranga I would want to put a converter in it. The question is: can I put any standard converter in it or must it be a smitd (or whatever it is!), can I swap out the nibs easily and generally speaking, are they a decent pen?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randal6393

• mhguda

• Tresconik

• Uncial

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The nib and feed assembly would need a nipple to attach the converter - that is what is missing in the Indian Rangas, and why you cannot just stick a converter in...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The Ranga pens with converters are great bodies, great feed systems. Limited only by the nibs put in the pens. I have one of PSP's Ebonites with the Eversharp 14K nib. Well worth the money, gives me a nice, soft flex pen with a medium nib. And I love the feel of the ebonite body.

Went back later and bought a case (ebonite) to take a Sheaffer Inlaid nib unit. Put my old Sheaffer 330 Inlaid into it and dressed up the pen nicely.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Ranga does make pens with converters and fitted with Schmidt nibs. They also offer Jowo nibs. I have a Model 3 ED with their standard nib and a Model 8 with the Schmidt nib & converter. Both are great pens and while the 8 writes like a dream, am a bit partial to the 3 for its 'character'.

Peyton Street Pens (fp member terim) has a pretty diverse collection of Rangas. Or if you prefer to deal directly Mr. Kandan of Ranga (mpkandan) is also around. Expect him to pop in with a reply here soon.

No affiliations with either, just a happy user.

A lifelong FP user...

Andy's Pen in UK has a large variety of Varuna FP's, which are the same like Ranga pens. He sells them with Indian or Jowo nibs. I bought a Varuna Gajendra (huge) eyedropper that can take international converters with a #8 nib - very smooth.

http://www.andys-pens.co.uk/varuna.shtml

Edited by Alex2014

I have ordered several Ranga pens from mpkandan, three I think.

I like it that they also offer customised versions for very reasonable price. A stout (extra wide and short) Ranga 3 with JoWo nib is one of the few pens that truly fits my hand like a glove.

Non notisi signi.

I have several Ranga pens, all purchased from Peyton Street Pens. Most are fitted with the JoWo nibs and converters, one has a vintage Eversharp nib and a Hero aerometric filler. All have been really great, fun pens. The steel nibs are as good as any steel nibs now on the market. The only variable is how wet you like your nibs. They can, however, be adjusted just as any other nib can, so I really enjoy all of mine.

I chose to avoid eyedroppers for the same reason that you have. I do not like the idea of trying to fill by eyedropper in my office, and I do not want the risk of ink "burps" as the pen empties. You cannot fit your own converter to the eyedropper pen's section, however, as the nipple onto which the converter fits does not exist on the feed of the eyedropper pen. I also believe that the inner diameter of the section of the two styles of pen differs, so I doubt that you could install a cartridge/converter feed into a Ranga eyedropper section.

Now, in case we have all mis-interpreted your question, I'll answer another possibly implied question. If you have a Ranga pen that is already fitted for a converter, then yes, you can use any standard international converter in that pen. The JoWo nib/feed that M. Kandan and Teri Morris use is sized to fit a standard "generic" converter - it does not necessarily need to be a Schmidt converter. The only possible limitation might be the internal dimensions of the barrel of the pen you have.