Buying From Goulet Pens To Malaysia.

NibCreeps

My friend and I are planning to buy from Goulet Pens but we fear that we will not receive our items or that we must pay extra charges when it arrives. Is there anyone here an experience customer(Malaysian)? thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shahrincamille

• NibCreeps

• mhguda

• tamiya

Well I'm just going to add my 2cents and that you might have to pay customs and other fees..

-RTMC

Favorite Ink and Pen Combinations:

Monteverde Jewelria in Fine with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Jinhao x450 with a Goulet X-Fine Nib with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Lamy Al-Star BlueGreen in Extra Fine with Parker Quink Black

Pilot Metropolitan in Medium with Parker Quink Black

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Not in Malaysia, in the other ocean - Caribbean.

Your country probably has a limit below which Customs is waived. In my country it is the equivalent of $30, and it is calculated including the shipping charges.

I have found Gouletpens reliable; they've always shipped my items, and they were very well packed; but they are not cheap. I think you need not worry about not having your items shipped to you - but depending on the total cost involved, you may face a Customs charge, and Customs will probably look at your stuff. This usually means it takes longer before you get it.

If all that does not deter you - go ahead! Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot but what do you mean by "Your country probably has a limit below which Customs is waived"?Never brought anything overseas before. :unsure:

Edited by NibCreeps

Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot but what do you mean by "Your country probably has a limit below which Customs is waived"?Never brought anything overseas before. :unsure:

There is an amount, up to which you don't have to pay import duties. It's not very high, but it does help.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I'm from Malaysia too and been buying fountain pens regularly from abroad since 2006.

Fointain pens ARE NOT subject to any form of tariffs or taxes in Malaysia, although the Jabatan Kastam can technically charge taxes on the materials that made up the pen. But since the pen is a finished product they do not do that.

Ballpoints and rollerballs, on the other hand, attract a 25+10% tariff LOL.

Not too sure what it would be like after the introduction of GST, though, this coming April. Best to get those Goulet stuff NOW, I believe.

Shahrin

• 2 years later...

Since this post is more than two years old, I'm pretty sure by now you know the answer. However, I just came across this post and thought I'd share my experience in importing fountain pens from abroad. With the introduction of GST (Goods & Services Tax), fountain pens (plus shipping cost) above MYR500.00 of value are charged 6%.

• 2 months later...

Since this post is more than two years old, I'm pretty sure by now you know the answer. However, I just came across this post and thought I'd share my experience in importing fountain pens from abroad. With the introduction of GST (Goods & Services Tax), fountain pens (plus shipping cost) above MYR500.00 of value are charged 6%.

CIF value (Cost, Insurance & Freight) less than RM500 will be exempted from GST however on the Freight itself, it is almost RM400 (IATA standard rate used by custom). Hence if we buy from US, most likely we will be charged on GST. There is one local store now selling it now. Google.

Good luck on the new improved GST... hahaha.

In the past whenever we mailordered anything from US, UK etc anything thru normal mail parcel would get opened, checked and half the contents missing by time the try to deliver in KL. Usually anything shiny or looks like its resellable, gone. Sometimes if the parcel wrapping has lots of nice foreign stamps, very often they'd be ripped off too... how interesting.

Since then haven't bothered to send into KL, it's safer to send to SG or AU then collect in person next trip.

If you really want to mailorder into MY, best pay for courier like UPS & DHL.

But by then, it's so expensive you might as well just jump on a coach to SG & buy there in person.

Can find most things to buy there, if not get organised find contacts & lobang to accept your overseas mailorder in SG. Extra plus is most small noncommercial size parcels to there usually don't get kena cukai.

CIF value (Cost, Insurance & Freight) less than RM500 will be exempted from GST however on the Freight itself, it is almost RM400 (IATA standard rate used by custom). Hence if we buy from US, most likely we will be charged on GST. There is one local store now selling it now. Google.

Not too sure about that, though.

Since the introduction of GST back in April 2015, I had brought in 19 fountain pens from abroad. Admittedly most of them are not the pricey stuff (no money, what with the MYR taking a nosedive against almost all foreign currencies since then), but then again, quite a few still went past the MYR500 threshold but never was I charged anything.

Maybe I was lucky LOL. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Shahrin B)

Good luck on the new improved GST... hahaha.

In the past whenever we mailordered anything from US, UK etc anything thru normal mail parcel would get opened, checked and half the contents missing by time the try to deliver in KL. Usually anything shiny or looks like its resellable, gone. Sometimes if the parcel wrapping has lots of nice foreign stamps, very often they'd be ripped off too... how interesting.

Since then haven't bothered to send into KL, it's safer to send to SG or AU then collect in person next trip.

If you really want to mailorder into MY, best pay for courier like UPS & DHL.

But by then, it's so expensive you might as well just jump on a coach to SG & buy there in person.

Can find most things to buy there, if not get organised find contacts & lobang to accept your overseas mailorder in SG. Extra plus is most small noncommercial size parcels to there usually don't get kena cukai.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one.

Through the years, I had brought in easily more than 300 pens from abroad over a span of 11 years. Lots of them rather pricey stuff, and admittedly a couple of pens got lost in the mail (the cheap ones, thankfully), but NONE of them can be attributed to the local post, courier or Kastam - in all cases, they were lost BEFORE reaching our shores.

But delays - yeah, it does happen from time to time. The longest was the Retro 51 Tornado Herringbone Massdrop custom edition FP - the pen was sent out by Massdrop in August 2015, and I received it in only late May 2016! And delivery was handled by DHL. I'm still wondering to which corners of the world my pen went to before it finally got into my hands..

Shahrin B)

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one.

Through the years, I had brought in easily more than 300 pens from abroad over a span of 11 years. Lots of them rather pricey stuff, and admittedly a couple of pens got lost in the mail (the cheap ones, thankfully), but NONE of them can be attributed to the local post, courier or Kastam - in all cases, they were lost BEFORE reaching our shores.

How exactly do you know it's lost "before" reaching MY shores?

There's been a few times I've tried using tracking on overseas parcels... tracking always confirms its been despatched from foreign depot, then to their airport... then after that, NOTHING...? All I can read into that is... did the cargo airplane crash? Disappear never found? Or has it somehow landed in MY, but the parcel never got scanned into system on arrival, hmmm....?

I mailorder a lot of junk, most aren't pen related. There's been times when I buy multiple of same item I'll get them posted to 2 different locations... that's when it's most evident, when I receive 1 overseas and not the MY one.

My family is also losing a lot of mail getting sent out from KL in recent years. Not valuable stuff, just letters & cards... probably half don't make it. :( these days our practice is to take a pic of the item before posting. If it still hasn't arrived 2-3wks time we email that pic.

CBFd complaining to Pos anymore, nobody cares.

But Pos is ridiculously cheap... compared to AustraliaPost, that's crazy expensive off the other end of the scale. AP can take a week to send from 1 suburb yo the next, keeps jacking up their rates several times a year & wonders why their mail volume is halving... sigh! Two different extremes.

Is DHL affiliated with with Pos? I think SingPost EMS goes thru them too.