Caran D'ache Grand Canyon

Veltri

I picked up a bottle of Caran D'Ache Grand Canyon online from a local store that has a larger online inventory. I was actually surprised it came and wasn't an inventory error because this is getting harder to find.

It's a great dark brown I could see myself using daily.

It has a nice rich quality to it, I think due to the blue evident on the wet paper towel. I can almost imagine seeing a tinge of a blue outline on some letters.

But it really is very brown, an earthy colour as you can see from the qtip swabs.

I wrote that it lightens as it dries, and it did previously on a cheaper paper, but on this Rhodia paper it didn't lighten much, only slightly.

There's a bit of shading here and there where that earthy colour comes through.

When run under the faucet the colour that was left upon drying was that special blue.

I photographed the bottle on its side to show the curved shape of the ink reservoir.

Overall I'm very happy with this ink.

http://i62.tinypic.com/ycwaf.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/296mcnm.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• Chrissy

• Veltri

• fugel

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, look at it's complexity. Gorgeous.

Sad to see such lovely inks disappear, and yes visvamitra, I too was disappointed with the new Caran d'Ache brown :angry:

Here is where I got it. They have a few other colours, Blue Sky, Blue Night, Sunset and Carbon. These other colours say "while quantities last " but Grand Canyon doesn't show that qualification.

Decent price too I thought, especially since it's in Canadian dollars, but shipping outside of Canada may be more expensive.

http://www.stylo.ca/en/cat/Ink-bottle/Caran-d-Ache/77_203.html

Edited by Veltri

I happened onto a bottle of this on clearance when I was up in Boston over the holidays. I went to Bromfield Pen Shop and they had a box on the floor with some inks for half off -- Grand Canyon and a few Visconti bottles. Now I'm sorry I didn't pick up the other bottle of Grand Canyon when I had a chance -- it's a lovely brown. But even at half off, Caran d'Ache inks are pricy.

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I spent years trying dozens of inks to find my perfect brown. The discovery of Grand Canyon was both a relief that I finally found it and a source of aggravation that it was so expensive.

Now I once again have to go on the hunt. At the moment, I'm using Delta Brown. It's a bit too red, but has nice properties otherwise.

A big problem with brown inks that doesn't get much mention is that more than with other colors of ink, the visible hue can change significantly under different lighting conditions.

Some people have complained about Grand Canyon leaving green residue in pens if left sitting a long time. I haven't experienced that, but it's not unheard of with brown inks. Old Waterman Havana was known to precipitate green sediment and turn gray. Vintage Sheaffer Brown degraged to an olive color on the shelf. So did Rubinato Sepia.

• 1 year later...

For those interested, I found a bottle of it in a stationers in Bath:

I had no desire to chase this extinct ink but for those desperately seeking it, there was at least one bottle on sale :)

Give them a call or email tomorrow:

Mayther - stationary.

Address: 3 Milsom St, City Centre, Bath BA1 1DA

A marvelous brown I didn't know. Beautiful. Caran D'ache inks are so pricy and nothing special to my eyes that I never tried them. Now i fear I will start looking for a bottle of this.

Edited by ubezahn

I was recently in Brussels and a B&M store still had a bottle of Grand Canyon and of Storm (purple) in stock (had!). It wouldn't surprise me to find that a number of B&M stores do still have some of these inks in stock.

I was recently in Brussels and a B&M store still had a bottle of Grand Canyon and of Storm (purple) in stock (had!). It wouldn't surprise me to find that a number of B&M stores do still have some of these inks in stock.

I wouldn't be surprised either. It's just a matter of being lucky enough to locate them though.

I spent years trying dozens of inks to find my perfect brown. The discovery of Grand Canyon was both a relief that I finally found it and a source of aggravation that it was so expensive.

Now I once again have to go on the hunt. At the moment, I'm using Delta Brown. It's a bit too red, but has nice properties otherwise.

A big problem with brown inks that doesn't get much mention is that more than with other colors of ink, the visible hue can change significantly under different lighting conditions.

Some people have complained about Grand Canyon leaving green residue in pens if left sitting a long time. I haven't experienced that, but it's not unheard of with brown inks. Old Waterman Havana was known to precipitate green sediment and turn gray. Vintage Sheaffer Brown degraged to an olive color on the shelf. So did Rubinato Sepia.

I'm glad to hear someone mention the degradation of Shaeffer Brown. So it wasn't just my experience.