One Project Finished Time To Start Another

peterjupton

Just finished my first pass working on the writing slope that my wife got me for Christmas replaced the badly worn leather surface with new blue felt

In the future I want to do something with the space at the top of the slope to better use it and I would like to find a key to fit it.

post-110304-0-46315500-1422836893_thumb.jpg

So on to my next project

post-110304-0-01078900-1422836805_thumb.jpg

I inherited this old water colour box and plan to turn into a ten slot pen box

I haven't desided what to do with the draw as it is too shallow for pens. The conversion will involve making a liner with pen slots in it

I have 2 questions about the slots should the dividers between slots be triangular in profie or curved inward or out. And should the slots have a flat bottom or should the profile of the deviders meet in the middle

By way of an example like this \_/ or like this \/

All ideas and opinions great fully recived.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peterjupton

• Shangas

• my63

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Peter.

A fine job on the writing-slope (although I personally would've picked green felt).

Keys for old writing-slopes are fairly easy to find. The locks were generally just simple ward/lever locks. Take the box to your nearest flea-market and seek out folks who do things like:

"Keys. $2. each", and they have two or three boxes of antique keys just sitting there. Dump the box on the table and just test keys. One after the other until you find one that turns the lock. Or if you feel up to it, buy a few keys that ALMOST fit the lock, get a set of small hand-files, and then grind the key down until it fits the lock properly.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Hi Peter

Felt is an unusual choice for the writing surface I would be interested to hear what it is like to write on.

I have made my own trays the early ones were flat and developed into round bottoms there is lots of pictures in the thread below

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/224142-writing-slope-dilema/page-24

My journey started with a writing slope with a Christmas gift I know have quite a few and a queue of projects awaiting restoration.

Your second box looks good have you tried the key in your writing slope? I would suggest either pencils or writing pads in the smaller drawer.

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

Shangas: many thanks for the compliment the felt I got was also available in green but blue backgrounds help my deslexia so I figured it was worth a try.

My63: the felt works well some very thin papers might pose a challenge but time will tell. The key for the second box is too small for the slope just keep trying keys as I find them. Thanks for the tread full of advice and ideas.

At the moment I'm thinking of having deep v shaped slots for the pens unless somebody can tell me that's a bod idea

Hi Peter

I cant think of any reason not to have v shaped grooves I always used dowels because I found it easy.

If you can work out the diameter of the key you require ie the size of the post and the size that will fit the keyhole, I have a number of desk/box keys that came from an old R A F base if there is one of the size you need you can have it.

Regards

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

Writing-slope surfaces ("Skivers" I think they're called), were typically done in leather, felt or velvet. Leather was the most common, because I think it was toughest. It lasted the longest and was easier to clean.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

well here it is i have finished the top part of the box

post-110304-0-91629500-1423443732_thumb.jpg
im pretty happy with it i think next time i will make the slots bigger at the moment the slots are 10mm flat bottom with at 16mm sloping side that takes up another 5mm wither side so in theory at least the top if the ridges should be 20mm apart in reality the slots are narrow so I'm thinking 15mm in the bottom and 10mm extra each side to the ridge
i think it goes well with the slope as well
post-110304-0-83719000-1423443709_thumb.jpg
might have a use for the draw as well so what does everybody think about using it for scissors after i have prepared it and lined it
post-110304-0-80404500-1423443763_thumb.jpg
just one more week at work then i have a week off think a bit of second had shop and flee market shopping is in order might find another box
Edited by peterjupton