What About Expensive Pens That Look Cheap ?

Lamyrada

To some people a plastic pen is "cheap." Never mine who makes it or how much it cost.

And the clear pens, look like toys.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lamyrada

• flipper_gv

• PolarMoonman

• Anabasis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some pens look cheap in photos but when you see them in real life they aren't at all. Put my 'Big' Beijing Golden Star, a pen I like very much, beside an Aurora 88 and you can see the difference.

Edited by Rose Nibs

I once had a modern Conklin Endura FP that I sold because I hated the cheap look of the silver colored clip. I thought it looked like plated plastic.

The new Montblanc JFK limited edition look a little bit cheap to me. dont know why.

post-110431-0-20933700-1423003086_thumb.png

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

The Lamy Safari is by no means an expensive pen, but the first time I saw one, I thought it was disposable. Therefore, that would make the actual price about ten times what I expected it to be. I suppose that qualifies after a fashion. (And before a hoard of Lamy enthusiasts comes after me with torches and pitchforks, I overcame my prejudice against their less than classic appearance and now own eight of the Al-Stars and one Vista.)

"Don't be humble, you're not that great." Golda Meir

I am a traditionalist. I will not name a pen, as I do not with to offend its owners.

However, I think too much "bling" and hardware looks cheap. It becomes a

"bright-shiny-object" .

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Most of the Pilot custom series pens.

I have a custom heritage and it does look like the 78G in black (both are black) in photos. But when you have each on your hands yo can see the difference. The material looks different, the details look different, the nibs and the weight are different. One can tell which looks cheap and which doesn't by meeting them in person. Just My humble opinion. I love Pilots. So far my two brands I like are Pilots and Waterman's.

Edited by Lamyrada

The Lamy Safari is by no means an expensive pen, but the first time I saw one, I thought it was disposable. Therefore, that would make the actual price about ten times what I expected it to be. I suppose that qualifies after a fashion. (And before a hoard of Lamy enthusiasts comes after me with torches and pitchforks, I overcame my prejudice against their less than classic appearance and now own eight of the Al-Stars and one Vista.)

I totally agree with the Safari looking cheap. I didn't want to own one when I first saw it...but I gave in and am happy that I got it.

Pilot Prera.

Yes, it's not an expensive pen, but it does cost three times the price of a Metropolitan. It's made from regular plastic and not fancy "resin" plastic. It should cost the same as a Metroplitan and not three times the price.

Yet despite that, it provides a writing experience like a much more expensive Pelikan M200.

Those Montegrappa DC hero/villain pens with the terrible, tacky clips.

Co-signed! And I love comics but this was my first thought as well. Followed by, "Why on earth would anyone do that to Wonder Woman?!"

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

Pelikan m101N red, materials look really cheap (especially the tort shell). The green version looks good to me though

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Pelikan%20website%20pics/pelikan-m101n-tortoiseshell-red-uncapped.jpg

I think you need to wait some time. If this m101N ages like the old 101N, it will turn in to something similar to this one:

post-44758-0-09481800-1423065646_thumb.jpg

Pilot Prera.

Yes, it's not an expensive pen, but it does cost three times the price of a Metropolitan. It's made from regular plastic and not fancy "resin" plastic. It should cost the same as a Metroplitan and not three times the price.

Yet despite that, it provides a writing experience like a much more expensive Pelikan M200.

I don't know how manufacturers establish prices but I can guess. They most know how our minds work, and so they design a cheap pen that writes and looks pretty good and so it suddenly becomes a $50 pen with a bit of PR. That's the PRERA. On the other hand, they design a cheap looking good writer for $20 for those who cannot or will not buy then $50 pen.

It's a matter of spreading their goods across the buyers field of opportunities. Then finally they have some equally good writers made with a tad better material that looks expensi-er and there you have the $120-$160 pen. The nibs are better, the look is better, the filling system is better… $120-$200. No bid deal. We decide which to buy, or the wallet does. sometimes we make sacrifices to have a much sought after brand name pen and they count on that, plus those who can always buy, will.:-)--- BTW I love my PRERA and my 78G B, F, and the Heritage and Namiki falcon.

Edited by Lamyrada

It kind of look like a kit pen.

I thought the same thing when I saw the JFK! That metal end cap, the transition between the body and section, all the metal, the lack of graceful lines or proportions...it could almost be a "JFK" kit pen sold in a souvenir shop

I thought the same thing when I saw the JFK! That metal end cap, the transition between the body and section, all the metal, the lack of graceful lines or proportions...it could almost be a "JFK" kit pen sold in a souvenir shop

YES! I felt NO sadness over not being able to have ANY edition of this pen. I was grateful to be able to order 2 bottles of the ink & happy I felt no remorse over the pen.