New Reformulated J Herbin 1670 Anniversary Ink Ocean Bleu

Mishka5050

Just looks like more stuff that could clog a pen. I've seen pictures of it (don't own it because I have lots of other non-waterproof blue inks). What was wrong with the ink before? Going and add particulates to it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Is there really a need for making inks reflect light like a road sign?

Wonder what you need to do to clean that stuff out of a pen...

Hi,

I haven't used the glitter version, so please take my comments as 'how I would go about things until I knew better / different'.

I reckon that as the particles settle-out they are not held in even suspension in the manner of the family of nano inks. I have a good degree of confidence that Herbin knows they're on to a good thing, and have read the Lessons Learned file from Rouge Hematite. I have no idea if the dye or particles have any properties that makes them shake hands with each other, yet I suspect (hunch) they just get along together in polite company as do strangers seated in the same row of a 16 hour non-stop flight.

I think the key for such an ink is not to let it linger in an unused pen, and to avoid any dry-out.

Here's the link to the Topic Easiest/Hardest pen In your collection to clean for ink changing? https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/244152-easiesthardest-pen-in-your-collection-to-clean-for-ink-changing/?p=2658017

For clean-up I'd do a very thorough water flush and soak and weak surfactant soak then flush flush flush ...., then a weak surfactant and more soak and flush, then a 0.5% plain ammonia just to check for any lingering dye residue.

__ Edit to add: I've read that some of the cleaning aids for FPs, such as J.B.'s Perfect Pen Flush and Goulet Pen Flush, can be reused many times, so after use they are not discarded, rather poured back into the bottle. I suggest a more conservative approach: Keep a small volume aside dedicated to the pens used with the 1670 series inks, just in case there is novel chemistry/physics going on, or any wee particles are lingering about after the party's over. (Ms Fussy on the look-out.)

As ever, I am willing to learn from those who've been there and done that.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mishka5050

• pepsiplease69

• StrawberryJam

• maksim

I did a deliberate dry out with Stormy Grey by leaving it in a couple of cheap pens. It was not on par with Platinum Carbon Black, but on some of the more saturated inks (harder than L'artisan ink, easier than most Noodler's). The feed had cosmetic glitter, but it was out of the ink channels in no time, and cleaned out of the converter easily. I think I could have just filled the pen with new ink and been fine. I know experience can vary widely, but I feel safe using it in pretty much anything based on personal experience. (I don't know how it cleans out of lever-fill pens, to be sure.)

Edited by Davros

Interesting. I have all the 1670s, and although I was disappointed at first the the blue had no gold in it (my husband bought me a bottle for Christmas), I must say that I do love the color/quality. Now that they reformulated it, however, I'm not sure I like it (the new one). I really like the color of the old one. Hmm....

I'll trade Sailor Sei Boku for old-formula 1670 Bleu Ocean. PM me if you're interested.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I wondered why Stormy Grey was gold instead of silver, but this one makes even less sense...

It could be that J. Herbin hasn't figured out how to do anything other than gold flecks. I'm guessing that because of the various reformulations of Rouge Hematite (there are three confirmed, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more that we (the customers) didn't see) that they've got the gold flecks down pretty firm.

There's also the issue of material used to make the flecks. J. Herbin could be having difficulties finding the correct material for silver/copper/what have you flecks on top of any manufacturing/formulation issue.

Old Formula

UPC: 3188550150189

REF: 15018T

I'm guessing this is the Batch Code?: 12863 (on the label attached to the plastic)

No Formula #

New formula: 3188550150189

Ref: 15018T

Same!

No label on the plastic...

I think it's safe to say that unless retailers had a delivery in January then it's an old stock....post-110147-0-34249000-1422756528_thumb.jpg

I totally agree with @xinglongneo this gold looks just like Stormy Grey :)

Gorgeous!!!!post-110147-0-13262600-1422757208_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mishka5050

Same!

I think it's safe to say that unless retailers had a delivery in January then it's an old stock....attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thank you for checking! I used to work in marketing/product development in beauty and the rule was new formula number = new UPC code (with very few exceptions). Damn them for being so sneaky!!

I would expect UPC to be the same, just different model number or type. It would cause havoc with retailers, or the companies that charge for placement per UPC/SKU.

Well, they sure know how to drum up business.... get people to buy ink, hoping it it either new or old. lol.

Where did you buy the new ink? Online?

Same!

I think it's safe to say that unless retailers had a delivery in January then it's an old stock....attachicon.gifimage.jpg

If I understand you correctly there is absolutely NO indication or means to identify the old color vs. this new color. If I'm in person I can physically let the bottle sit and then look for the pile of gold, but for everything ordered there will be no means to know which color you are buying. Hmm.

Obviously they can make and market their ink any way they want, but this is unfortunate in that there is no way to know what you are buying (online). J.Herbin could have created a new name and excitement for this ink. They could have been less visible and changed one of these codes and for people who really care they could hunt down the code for the color they wanted.

It seems to be a standard among ink makers and sellers - they can and will change the color of an ink not care one bit that they call it the same thing when it's a different color (i.e. Noodlers and Black Swan, Omas Blue, now this J.Herbin ocean Bleu). I know this might also sound crazy but I select an ink to purchase based upon ITS COLOR, not it's name

I just ordered a bottle of Rouge Hematite. Almost all US vendors were out of stock. I'm wondering now if there has been yet another reformulation of RH as well...

The ink looks really good, although it is hard enough to keep a Stormy Grey inked pen on my desk without it getting borrowed until dry, heaven help me when I get this ink.

I have asked my normal ink supplier in the UK if they have heard anything but they told me J Herbin don't tell them anything that's going on.

I've been mixing super dark blues with Stormy Grey to get something dark blue and shimmery, but perhaps this ink would make a better base! I'll pick some up when the winter in Canada mellows out a little. Thanks for the tip!

It perplexes me that so many people seem so frustrated about J Herbin adding gold flakes to this ink. It seems to me that one of the big complaints against the old formula was its lack of sparkle, when Rouge Hematite and Stormy Gray both had sparkles. It seems to me like they're trying to keep the brand consistent (1670) while giving customers what so many of us were asking for. I understand everyone's frustrations about the uncertainty, but... if you're buying it in person, just open the box and look on the bottom for glitter. If you're buying online, send an email to your favorite inkseller. Most--or at least the Goulets and the Andersons--offer exceptionally good customer service, and it seems like they would most likely be happy to check your individual box for glitter. People who want it can get it; people who don't want it can get it without (while supplies last).

In short, a lot of this can be sorted out with a single email.

Though I *do* wish they had gone with silver rather than gold. But that may just be me. And I know that I wouldn't have touched it with a 10-foot pole.... until now. So, at least for this customer, it's a smart decision.

Samantha Wilding - She/Her

Owner, Wilding Leather

Handcrafted Leather Writing Accessories

wildingleather.com

howlforfpn.jpg.47093baedd24ddf347395f0535911675.jpg      tangledantlersforfpn.jpg.c941ac36a4dd251dce9724be97255547.jpg   monsteraforfpn.jpg.fe496936918a19c6221b8e79f974b793.jpg

Though I *do* wish they had gone with silver rather than gold. But that may just be me.

Nope. Not just you. Silver would have been awesome.

I think that the original LE of Rouge Hematite may have had real gold (not sure on this). But gold is pretty inert; silver, OTOH, tarnishes unless rhodium plated, and that tarnish can't be good for ink components, I wouldn't think (and probably not all that good for pen innards either).

I'm not sure what the current formulations of either Rouge Hematite or Stormy Grey contain, or if there's a silver colored equivalent.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It perplexes me that so many people seem so frustrated about J Herbin adding gold flakes to this ink.

I think the issue is disclosure to customers, more than the presence or absence of magic pixie sparkles.