New Reformulated J Herbin 1670 Anniversary Ink Ocean Bleu

Mishka5050

Hi folks,

I don't know about you, but I have heard some rumours that J Herbin was reformulating Ocean Blue ink...must have been Stormy Grey's success ;)

So, I was expecting blue ink with silver particles...but it looks like they have opted out for gold...

No indication on the bottle (of course) :rolleyes:

Here are few quick snaps of their very last batch:

post-110147-0-61092600-1422638827_thumb.jpgpost-110147-0-82261600-1422638857_thumb.jpgpost-110147-0-68614800-1422638867_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mishka5050

• pepsiplease69

• StrawberryJam

• maksim

Hi,

I wonder where to send my bottle of the old version for an upgrade.

Or do I just ask for a DIY upgrade kit? :happyberet:

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Interesting... can't say I'm an immediate fan though.

Gold would've been nicer if the ink had been a darker blue. Silver probably would've matched better.

I'm starting to hate them. What ever it's called, the formulas and looks change but the names or ID-Nos. (which they don't have) don't. They did that with the Hemo number twice.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/hidden-171.gif

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Whoa that is awesome. I just bought a bottle of the stormy grey this morning.

Is there a way to tell if you are getting the "new formula" version of ocean bleu? Alternatively, where do I buy from to ensure I get gold-sparkles?

Edited by StrawberryJam

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Thank you for noting the formula change Mishka! I know I'm the minority on this one but I LOVE the old formula. It is one of my all time favorite inks, so I will definitely need to stock up because I don't like the shimmering particles of Gris Orage.

I too would love to know if there are any indicators on the bottle (batch codes, formula numbers...) that might distinguish the new from the old, but in my case it is to ensure I get the old :P

Hi again,

I just popped by my local ink shop and picked up the one bottle of the old formula that they had left. I was hoping to find at least 1 or 2 more, so I will continue searching!

I thought I would share all the codes on the packaging so maybe we can figure out if there is a way to distinguish between the old and the new.

Old Formula

UPC: 3188550150189

REF: 15018T

I'm guessing this is the Batch Code?: 12863 (on the label attached to the plastic)

No Formula #

This would have looked a looot better if the particles were gold. What were they thinking, you can't just put gold with everything. As it is, in the side by side comparisons I much prefer the old version as it is darker, has more gravitas.

Son of Zeus. Brother of Hercules. Father of SWAG.

I'm going to watching for this one, but it's one I'm thinking I to want to sample before springing for a full bottle. The original formula was a victim of the hype. Everyone was hoping for a blue version of Rouge Hematite and we didn't get it. I think bstnnyc is definitely in the minority; dunno about other people, personally I found Bleu Ocean to be BORING :( -- especially after how amazing RH (original formula) was. I think RH got changed because they were trying to solve the problem of clogging with the big flakes (I'm still working off the original bottle I got a couple of years ago).

And yeah, I suspect that they're reformulating Bleu Ocean because of what a sensation Stormy Grey was. I saw a writing sample of it at DCSS last summer, and the minute it was available I got a full bottle -- something I rarely do, especially if samples are available.

I sampled Rouge Hematite first -- not because of the gold flakes, though, but rather because I don't normally go for orange or orange tone reds at *all* -- and was pleasantly surprised. I sampled the original version of Bleu Ocean and was massively disappointed. I went straight from seeing the written exemplar of Stormy Grey to "WAAANT! MUST HAAAAVE!" So, we'll see about the reformulated Bleu Ocean....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have all the 1670 inks, and I must say, the Ocean Bleu, while I would of LOVE a rouge hematite version of it... it is still an outstanding ink on it's own merits. I had a few compliments with it after I used it for greeting cards, and love the high saturation of blue, without the flakes.

Now... that we do have a Rouge Hematite version of Ocean Bleu... it just makes it that much better.

I just may have to pick up another old bottle to keep in stock, and to add the new one.

Although if I am not mistaken, there was already more than one version of Ocean Bleu? Or was it just Rouge Hematite?

Looks great. When I read the title I was hoping for multi-coloured shimmery particles... nothing garish, just reminiscent of a coral reef or the nacre inlay of mollusc shells.

Hi,

I wonder where to send my bottle of the old version for an upgrade.

Or do I just ask for a DIY upgrade kit? :happyberet:

Bye,

S1

My thoughts exactly! I wish it was silver though. Maybe they could make kits where you can mix gold or silver flecks to a range of ink colours instead of waiting for whatever batch they think to cook up next. :D

Just looks like more stuff that could clog a pen. I've seen pictures of it (don't own it because I have lots of other non-waterproof blue inks). What was wrong with the ink before? Going and add particulates to it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Is there really a need for making inks reflect light like a road sign?

Wonder what you need to do to clean that stuff out of a pen...

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan