St Dupont Olympio Gold Dust (I Think)

StrawberryJam

After lurking for months and reading older posts about how amazing ST Dupont pens are, I decided that if the opportunity presented itself, I would try to get my hands on one and see just what all the rage is about.

Behold, 6 months later, I have acquired what I think is an ST Dupont Olympio XL in Gold Dust (someone tell me if I am correct?) off the infamous bidding site that shall remain unnamed.

I'm currently waiting for my pen to dry out, but thought I'd share a few photos with you all:

A nice looking box:

post-105279-0-03239300-1422632789_thumb.jpg

(NB: the model number on the outside of the box suggests that this is box was for a black/palladium pen. So I'll note here that I have no idea whether this pen is authentic or not. But in any event, even if it's a fake, it's a pretty cool looking pen and I'm glad to have it in my collection. Back to more pictures!)

Inside the box were two boxes - the main pen box and then a secondary box full of papers and cards. Here's what was inside the paper box:

post-105279-0-66053400-1422632830_thumb.jpg

Opening the pen box:

post-105279-0-93458700-1422632891_thumb.jpg

Made in france:

post-105279-0-27145300-1422632912_thumb.jpg

Serial number on the other side:

post-105279-0-86897700-1422632942_thumb.jpg

The ST Dupont script on the pen barrel:

post-105279-0-55665900-1422632974_thumb.jpg

I really like the super-cool wavy nib edges:

post-105279-0-85113800-1422633031_thumb.jpg

As I've posted elsewhere in the forums, I actually prefer the cartridge/converter filling method over piston fillers and whatnot:

post-105279-0-35575000-1422633061_thumb.jpg

Waiting on the pen to dry:

post-105279-0-14194700-1422633131_thumb.jpg

I will say that this pen is definitely a hefty one, which I like a lot. (Most of my pens are Viscontis, which are known to be pretty heavy). My only "gripe" right now is that I am not sure I love the converter because it's one of those "stick on" rather than "screw in" versions, so when I was flushing the pen and pulling water through the knob, I found myself almost pulling the converter loose from its seat. Maybe I just need to get used to not twisting the knob so forcefully? :(

I also just ordered a bottle of the J. Herbin Stormy Gray color, which supposedly has gold flecks in it, and I'm thinking that that combination might be pretty cool. We'll see!

More photos can be found at http://imgur.com/a/wXFpl#0

Edited by StrawberryJam

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrawberryJam

• jar

• EclecticCollector

• Barkingpig

Nice pen but the box is for a different pen.

Here is the Black with Paladium.

http://www.fototime.com/261432B9693A880/large.jpg

Really pretty! Shame they discontinued the Olympio. I think it looks better than the Elysee model.

Edited by rpsyed

Nice pen but the box is for a different pen.

Here is the Black with Paladium.

http://www.fototime.com/261432B9693A880/large.jpg

Thanks, @jar. It's a bummer that the box doesn't match the pen as I think the paperwork stuff is pretty cool to have, but I suppose at the end of the day it is all secondary. I'll be sure to mention that to the seller though - maybe he got the boxes mixed up in his inventory. Do you know what model number the pen should have instead?

Edited by StrawberryJam

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

If Jar hasn't replied by the time I get home from work tonight, I'll share the model number shown on my box. Great find! Would you mind sharing the final price?

If Jar hasn't replied by the time I get home from work tonight, I'll share the model number shown on my box. Great find! Would you mind sharing the final price?

I won the auction at $225, so with shipping the final price was $235.

Also, I just inked up the pen with some MontBlanc toffee brown and whoa. The pen is heavy (I may elect to write without posting the cap, given the weight of the pen), but I can totally see what people say now about the nib being "smooth out of the box." I'm impressed.

(Visconti, I love you for your beautiful celluloid and pretty aesthetics, but this ST Dupont knocks you out of the park on nib-writing awesomeness. Don't hate me.)

Current Wishlist:

That is a gorgeous pen! I watched the auction but having my mind on another of his listings didn't see the final sale. It sure wasn't photographed in the listing as well as you have presented here. I know you will enjoy it & whatever inks you use will enjoy their time with this pen. The pen I purchased from this sale had NO box nor papers so I think you are better off to have your box whether it is "correct" or not. If the sales were from a collector then he may well have had his boxes "jumbled" about. I know anyone would have a hard time making sense of mine (and that probably includes "present" company....."me, myself & I!" Great looking pen from a great company & a great price! Congratulations.

I won the auction at $225, so with shipping the final price was $235.

Amazing price! Congratulations!

Do you know what model number the pen should have instead?

Sorry for the belated reply, I just dug out my box and the label says:

P/N:480590M

STYLO PLUME MEDIUM

OLYMPIO

POUDRE D'OR

It's likely that your pen's proper model number would have a different letter(s) at the end since it's the larger size.

Sorry for the belated reply, I just dug out my box and the label says:

P/N:480590M

STYLO PLUME MEDIUM

OLYMPIO

POUDRE D'OR

It's likely that your pen's proper model number would have a different letter(s) at the end since it's the larger size.

The first three numbers are the model and size. 480 for standard Olympio/Orpheo and 481 for the larger XL.

The first three numbers are the model and size. 480 for standard Olympio/Orpheo and 481 for the larger XL.

Thanks, @EclecticCollector and @Jar for the additional information. Looking online, I don't seem to be able to find a whole lot of information about the release of this pen. Does anyone know anything about its history, for example, are the gold flecks supposed to be representative of anything or the like?

Current Wishlist:

Thanks, @EclecticCollector and @Jar for the additional information. Looking online, I don't seem to be able to find a whole lot of information about the release of this pen. Does anyone know anything about its history, for example, are the gold flecks supposed to be representative of anything or the like?

The gold flecks are simply gold flecks. ST Dupont did use gold dust in lacquer where it did represent something, for example the 1992 Columbus centennial pen.

http://www.fototime.com/83F787A4BA06954/standard.jpg

• 7 years later...

I'm 7 years late to the party but does anyone know if this pen was made also in red laquer with the gold dust? I found one for sale somewhere in red, but when I search online there is not a single one in red laquer with gold dust, only black.