Twsbi Mini Question!

stoof2010

So I think I broke some fins, and still can't get the nib and feed out of the nib unit!!! It still functions perfectly, but wanted to know if anyone has had any success with removing the nib and feed from the unit.

Thanks!!

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• stoof2010

• Algester

• studiohead

I did... suggestion get a 580 unit it's better and springier (despite its not very "springy" to begin with, and it fits in the mini just fine) for this I suggest to use the wet heat option put about 250 ml of water in a microwavable container heat it at max for about 1 minute test the water if it's not too hot iE boiling hot then put the plung the nib into the water wait for 1 minute and then start from the nib slowly nudge it coerce it it will come out

K. Thanks!!

After the first removal is it easier like a lamy feed?

-Stefan

Darn... Only "safe" or "safer" than bulletproof for this one then...

It may be compulsion, but i completely disassemble my pens while cleaning properly.

If just flushing, then just skrip and Diamine for this one.

-Stefan

I've never had siiues with my 580 nibs, so I'll probably use those from now on in the mini.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

-Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

This just happened to me too, so I came hunting around. I've got a mini 1.1 that is SO DRY, so I wanted to remove the feed and put it through the ultrasonic. It was impossible to get out, and I broke a ton of fins trying.

So what you guys are saying is that I can use the grip and feed from a 580 on the mini, with the mini nib?

How did you finally get the nib apart in the first place? i'm still stuck on that step.

Okay, since people are asking, the method I use is to first make sure the nib unit is by itself. Next cover the top of the nib with tissue paper or a rubber sheet. Wiggle, the nib to loosen it. Pull out the nib and the feed should follow. To not break the fins, hold the sides of he nib not under it. Don't loose the small O-Ring found at the back of the "feeder holder" as that is to seal between the section and the main body.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

This just happened to me too, so I came hunting around. I've got a mini 1.1 that is SO DRY, so I wanted to remove the feed and put it through the ultrasonic. It was impossible to get out, and I broke a ton of fins trying.

So what you guys are saying is that I can use the grip and feed from a 580 on the mini, with the mini nib?

How did you finally get the nib apart in the first place? i'm still stuck on that step.

You can fit a 580 (or 540) *nib assembly* onto a Mini body (or vice vrrsa), as long as you swap the plastic grips over. The wider wings of the nib will still fit inside the Mini cap. I'm less certain that you can swap a Mini nib into a 540 assembly - but the feeds look pretty similar to me, so it just might work! Let us know how you go?

the mini nib unit WILL NOT FIT THE 580 NIIB!!!! please... :X but you can use the nib unit colar from the 580... and fit it into the mini but again you need to use the mini's section as the 580's section (metal collar and plastic) will not fit the mini
one can fit the mini nib on the 580 nib unit but it will be a bit loose... take care

Edited by Algester

I was not trying to put the 580 nib in the mini nib unit. In fact, I was trying the other way around - the mini nib in the 580 nib unit. I used the following parts:

nib - mini

feed - 580

black feed holder - 580

grip section - mini

This ended up working fine. I spent hours tweaking the nib, which was a 1.1 that was painfully dry. It seems okay now, but I need to give it a few days to fully test it out.

I think the mini nib units are just a much tighter fit for the feed than the 580s were made to be. I tried to pull the nib and feed about of my M mini nib unit, and it was also incredibly hard. Since the nib is working fine I didn't push it, but I really wish they were as easily removable as the 580s are. In the future i'll probably buy 580 units for my minis, and just ask Speedy to buy a separate grip section to attach it with.

ps. for curiosity's sake, I tried the mini black plastic feed holder with a 580's feed, and although it fit, it didn't really work. Not a huge shock! :)