Noodler's Charlie Fountain Pen (Included With H.o.d.)

tjt7a

Nathan Tardif recently released a Youtube video where he described a new fountain pen, the Noodler's Charlie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-FpVSf8udI

He gives a great explanation about the importance of free speech and how the pen is meant to be in homage to Charlie Hebdo, a French satirical magazine that was recently attacked by terrorists in Paris.

He doesn't want to charge for this pen, so he decided to replace the Platinum Preppy fountain pen that used to come with Heart of Darkness with this pen. Here are some images of the pen in the box (it comes wrapped in a plastic sleeve). This is a limited release of Heart of Darkness, so you will have to specifically ask for this set:

post-105232-0-59151800-1422554557_thumb.jpg

On removing the pen and ink from the bottle, you can see its a very skinny pen. It's my thinnest pen by measuring barrel width, just below the Waterman Hemisphere:

post-105232-0-39572000-1422554554_thumb.jpg

Its a simple design, but I find it elegant. It's definitely a step up from the Preppy. The pen feels much better in my hands than the platinum preppy, and I think it also looks nicer.

post-105232-0-60510400-1422554711_thumb.jpg

CLIP:

The Charlie's metal clip is springy and allows me to easily slide the pen in my jeans pocket without the fear that it might slide out.

CAP:

The cap is screwed on to the barrel, and with tightening feels like there's no chance the cap will accidentally disengage from the section while I'm on the move. The cap posts to the pen securely, and adds very little weight to the pen. I feel comfortable writing with this pen posted and unposted.

The cap is made of a multi-color resin that is supposed to be unique for each pen. I don't think it's particularly beautiful looking, but the mix of colors does look interesting.

FILLING:

The pen is a simple eyedropper fountain pen. It comes pre-lubed with silicon grease. After filling the pen with ink, I recommend using a paper towel to remove any ink drops from the threads covered in silicon grease before screwing the barrel onto the section.

BARREL:

The barrel is made of the same biodegradable material the Ahab is made of. Yes, that means it also smells the same (for those that think its weird to sniff fountain pens... you don't own a noodle's pen yet ;)) The smell doesn't bother me, and I've gotten used to it. The barrel is also completely translucent; I like this because I like to watch the ink slosh around in my pen. The only marking on the barrel is a small imprint that says "NOODLERS INK CO".

NIB:

The nib of the fountain pen is much smaller than the Ahab's. This is made clear by comparing the pen to several other pens with relatively small nibs. From left to right are laid out: Kaweco Al-Star (stone washed) with broad nib, Noodler's Charlie, Lamy Vista, Noodler's Ahab.

post-105232-0-67124600-1422554550_thumb.jpgpost-105232-0-42733100-1422554634_thumb.jpg

WRITING SAMPLE:

Finally, after filling the pen with a few eyedroppers of Heart of Darkness, I took her out for a spin. She's a pretty smooth writer. The nib is as hard as a nail, but I wouldn't really take points off for that. I attempted to apply pressure to the nib, but there was no flex to be had. The nib is smooth and writes well. Comparing it to several other pens, I've concluded that its approximately the same size as a Faber Castell Medium.

post-105232-0-99048600-1422554631_thumb.jpg

CONCLUSION:

The Noodler's Charlie is a good writer. It's a simple eye dropper filling fountain pen with a pleasing design, and it writes well out of the box. If you're looking for a flex pen, head over to the Ahab, Konrad, Nibcreeper, etc. If you're looking for a solid no-frills writer, the Charlie may fit your bill.

I haven't had much experience with Heart of Darkness yet, but based on my initial testing its a saturated black with no smearing on Rhodia paper. It's also waterproof and inexpensive.

I like the pen, I like the ink. I think its a good deal.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Honeybadgers

• thesmellofdustafterrain

• inkstainedruth

Thanks for the review.

I'm intrigued by the Charlie pen, but I already have a 4.5 oz bottle of HoD. Perhaps one day he will bundle the pen with the large-sized bottle of Baystate Blue or Noodler's Black.

I don't have an Ahab, but I do have several FPCs and Konrads (including an ebonite Konrad, which is longer than the standard size ones.

How does this new Charlie pen compare size-wise to those, particularly the Creapers?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank-you for posting this!

I recently posted a video review of the other free Noodler's pen (not the Preppy). Afterward, I got into quite a discussion with a viewer over whether the pen I was reviewing was the Charlie or whether it was something else. In the end, we concluded that we both had part of the truth.

Your detailed photographs are great. They really do show that our compromise was right.

I'm curious how you think this pen compares to the other free pen that comes with some Noodler's inks?

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

• 2 weeks later...

This pen will also be included with the new FPN exclusive Voltaire ink. Thank you for the first look. I'm excited to see the pen (and the ink). The two will be at the LA Pen Show.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any more about the Charlie pen? are there some out there or will there be?

I cannot find one anywhere. I missed the first round. Some dealers that don't know about it think I'm looney when I ask!

Andy

Has anyone heard any more about the Charlie pen? are there some out there or will there be?

I cannot find one anywhere. I missed the first round. Some dealers that don't know about it think I'm looney when I ask!

Andy

I think from what Nathan said in the video that there was only a limited number made to start with; and it isn't clear whether they will be sold independently of the ink bottles.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for a flex pen, head over to the Ahab, Konrad, Nibcreeper, etc. If you're looking for a solid no-frills writer, the Charlie may fit your bill.

Actually, there's another "free" Noodler's pen out there that is a flex - you might find it in a 4.5 oz of Dragon's Napalm or possibly Nikita. I believe Goulet calls it a "free eyedropper Noodler's fountain pen", while specifically calling the Charlies by their name, but you'd have to contact them to be totally sure about that. I don't know about other retailers. :)

@davyk: I'm not sure what will happen when the ink level is low; my pen is still pretty full.

I did notice a few days ago that the Charlie was leaking pretty heavily out of the front of the pen for no apparent reason. Still trying to figure out why that happened.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying my Charlie pen. I have it downstairs in a kitchen drawer with a Noodler's Preppy for when I need to make quick lists or what have you. I haven't had a leaking issue yet. My Neponset however...but I think that's because mine sat in the hot sun on my desk all-day. Maybe. Hopefully.

Great review and pictures!

• 1 month later...

Great review!

My Charlie arrived yesterday and I immediately filled it with the HoD it came with.

I have to say, this was one of the toughest pens in my collection to get started. Once I got the initial ink flowing, I love it! I've used it for a couple hours today and I'm very happy with it. As of yet, no leaking like previously mentioned in this thread. That said, it hasn't left the air conditioned comfort of my office. So it temperature flux is an issue, I won't have seen it yet.

Great review!

My Charlie arrived yesterday and I immediately filled it with the HoD it came with.

I have to say, this was one of the toughest pens in my collection to get started. Once I got the initial ink flowing, I love it! I've used it for a couple hours today and I'm very happy with it. As of yet, no leaking like previously mentioned in this thread. That said, it hasn't left the air conditioned comfort of my office. So it temperature flux is an issue, I won't have seen it yet.

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago. I'm starting to like it a fair amount (and didn't notice the oft mentioned Noodler's pen odor -- but then I never seem to). The cap colors, BTW, seem to be random: the cap on mine was a dark teal blue with swirls of light colors, which I think is fairly attractive.

To answer my own initial question, it seems to be comparably sized with FPC (in fact I think the caps may be interchangable; the size may an issue to for some. I like the pen a fair amount -- but with the following caveats:

1) it is something of a hard starter

2) I had some issues when the pressure was changing, and I was holding the pen (uncapped) for a while; it exhibited the vaunted "eye dropper air pressure issue" and suddenly it became very drippy. But if i don't hold the pen long enough for the barrel to really heat up, I don't have the issue. YMMV

• 1 month later...

Just ordered a bottle of HoD with the Charlie pen from the Goulets. Looking forward to receiving it... Not that I needed more HoD as I already have a half-full bottle, but it's a great ink I use regularly and I love Nathan's reasons for creating it. The pen has a story behind it and I enjoy that in a pen... character if you will.

Cheers,

Ryan

We still have some 4.5 oz VCV with Charlie pens in the FPN store.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

We still have some 4.5 oz VCV with Charlie pens in the FPN store.

Hi Amber, is this ink bulletproof? I couldn't find a review of it here on FPN and I've been absent from here for awhile. I didn't even realize FPN is offering a new Noodler's ink! Awesome! It's a lovely color.

I was one of the lucky ones to get a Charlie pen from the first batch of HOD that was offered... it's a lovely pen. Mine writes close to extra-fine, which is perfect for a shorthand pen. I've been using it almost daily this year.

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Hi Amber, is this ink bulletproof? I couldn't find a review of it here on FPN and I've been absent from here for awhile. I didn't even realize FPN is offering a new Noodler's ink! Awesome! It's a lovely color.

I was one of the lucky ones to get a Charlie pen from the first batch of HOD that was offered... it's a lovely pen. Mine writes close to extra-fine, which is perfect for a shorthand pen. I've been using it almost daily this year.

fpn_1437177648__2015-07-17_ink_01a.jpg

fpn_1437177648__2015-07-17_ink_01a.jpg

Wow, what a gorgeous red!

Yes, all is well. Our family is homeschooling through the summer, so I've hardly had time for social media, a las. I've been meaning to post some reviews here and hope to soon. Maybe even this weekend. I've missed FPN!

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

fpn_1437178045__2015-07-17_ink_01b.jpg

Fiberdrunk, I am with you. We are doing online education and sometimes it's an adventure.

So, here was the ink before I did the wash.

fpn_1437177550__20150717_165731.jpg