Montblanc 149 75Th Anniversary Limited Edition 1924

jamesgibby

Sorry, but I don't get this enthusiasm for limited editions. I would understand it if the writing experience would be any better but in reality most of the time you pay the premium for writing with the same nib you could get on a regular edition.

You're paying the "beauty and looks" premium on any pen you buy. If you're really bent on not paying that premium you can always but a Pelikan M1000 nib unit and have a simple body turned to fit the nib unit. No need for piston mechanism, no need for fancy bindes, no need for fascinating materials. Just plain plastic that will hold in ink and supply it to the nib unit.

There, you get a great writing experience for almost half of the price of an M1000 (which is as far as I'm concerned one of the best pens out there). I doubt many people would buy that. Actually, I'd be surprised if anyone buys that.

In the end, I just don't understand it when people state their opinions just like this. If someone likes it enough to buy to shell out some serious money to buy a pen and share his/her experiences with it then that's your cue to understand that that person has seen some value in it. You don't have to see that value.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamesgibby

• 4lex

• Frank C

• mmg122

Sorry, but I don't get this enthusiasm for limited editions. I would understand it if the writing experience would be any better but in reality most of the time you pay the premium for writing with the same nib you could get on a regular edition.

Well I would say the writing experience is in fact better. A key part of any experience is of course dependant on many factors which combine and are different from person to person but most would agree that the knowledge of writing with such a beautiful pen or nib enhances that experience as you appreciate the aesthetics of the pen together with the knowledge that tou possess something that is special and different and in this case limited to only 1924 pens. Only 1924 other people in 7 billion at present possess this pen and you appreciate that which in itself enhances the experience.

Isn't it the same as buying leather seats for your new car? It will cost more and only make it look better but no one would disagree that for the driver the leather seats will enhance HIS driving experience when in reality the car will drive exactly the same.?

Edited by jamesgibby

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

146 Solitaire: Hematite; Gold & Black; Silver Fibre Guilloche.

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138 136  & 149 Silver Rings or Special Nibs

The rose gold trim and the detailing of the nib certainly makes this a milestone pen for me. Personally, I would skip the 90th Anniversary edition pen because the detailing on the nib isn't appealing to me. Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos and review.

Well I would say the writing experience is in fact better. A key part of any experience is of course dependant on many factors which combine and are different from person to person but most would agree that the knowledge of writing with such a beautiful pen or nib enhances that experience as you appreciate the aesthetics of the pen together with the knowledge that tou possess something that is special and different and in this case limited to only 1924 pens. Only 1924 other people in 7 billion at present possess this pen and you appreciate that which in itself enhances the experience.

Isn't it the same as buying leather seats for your new car? It will cost more and only make it look better but no one would disagree that for the driver the leather seats will enhance HIS driving experience when in reality the car will drive exactly the same.?

I appreciate your point. It really does depend on what makes you tick. I don't see why the idea that I have something that other people can't have should increase my pleasure but that is definitely true for many people otherwise rare items would not come with the premium on their rarity. I am probably guilty of the same with the paintings since I probably wouldn't enjoy a perfect copy in the same way as the original. We don't pay for the item, we pay for the story.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Does the nib feel the same like a classic 149 when you write with it? Is it just the aesthetics?

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Does the nib feel the same like a classic 149 when you write with it? Is it just the aesthetics?

im not sure how it compares to modern 149's but it writes pretty much the same as my 80's 149

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

The nib on this pen is just magnificent. I am not a fan of rose gold, but that nib is so nice I might put have to put this beauty on my list of "to get" pens. 😀

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.

The nib on this pen is just magnificent. I am not a fan of rose gold, but that nib is so nice I might put have to put this beauty on my list of "to get" pens.

you won't regret it one bit. i was a bit reluctant after buying the 90th Anniversary which as you can see from the above pics is underwhelming, but I'm glad i purchased this pen

• 2 weeks later...

jamesgibby, just want to say thank you for taking the time to do this write up with all of the beautiful pics. I think this review was my introduction to the 75th anniversary pens, and while I can't quite afford this yet, you've put this on the horizon for me as a grail pen. It is a really stunning pen. I think the cap band might be a bit too "blingy," but the nib design and MOP star are just too beautiful.

jamesgibby, just want to say thank you for taking the time to do this write up with all of the beautiful pics. I think this review was my introduction to the 75th anniversary pens, and while I can't quite afford this yet, you've put this on the horizon for me as a grail pen. It is a really stunning pen. I think the cap band might be a bit too "blingy," but the nib design and MOP star are just too beautiful.

you are more than welcome :) indeed that is precisely the reason for reviewing pens, so don't mention it :)

I remember when this pen was released. In 1999, retail vendors who attended the L.A. Pen show were discounting this pen by 20-30% off the retail price. Brand new sealed in the box 75th anniversary 149s and 146s and the whole line were available at discount. The sterling silver versions also new in box were discounted. A year or two later, at the same show, the prices were retail plus $300-$500 premium.

Well i wish i was old enough back then to have afforded to buy these!!! i was 11 yrs old!

the prices have skyrocketed over the years they are only going up which makes them one of the few pens you can use and will really hold value

Well i wish i was old enough back then to have afforded to buy these!!! i was 11 yrs old!

the prices have skyrocketed over the years they are only going up which makes them one of the few pens you can use and will really hold value

Based on your avatar, I thought you were much older. I remember when these came out. I liked them, but not enough to buy one. I really like your photos and will have to keep an eye out for one, now.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

You're paying the "beauty and looks" premium on any pen you buy. If you're really bent on not paying that premium you can always but a Pelikan M1000 nib unit and have a simple body turned to fit the nib unit. No need for piston mechanism, no need for fancy bindes, no need for fascinating materials. Just plain plastic that will hold in ink and supply it to the nib unit.

There, you get a great writing experience for almost half of the price of an M1000 (which is as far as I'm concerned one of the best pens out there). I doubt many people would buy that. Actually, I'd be surprised if anyone buys that.

In the end, I just don't understand it when people state their opinions just like this. If someone likes it enough to buy to shell out some serious money to buy a pen and share his/her experiences with it then that's your cue to understand that that person has seen some value in it. You don't have to see that value.

I guess unlike you I live in a free country where all opinions are legitimate and freely discussed.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• 3 weeks later...

you are more than welcome :) indeed that is precisely the reason for reviewing pens, so don't mention it :)

Nooo... What have you done?!.. Bought a 75 years limited edition 149 now and in a moment of insanity bought a special edition 146 too.... Would not have happened without reading your review.. ;-) Edited by Chettiar

• 1 month later...

I'm also a big fan of the 75th anniversary pens. Unfortunately I was tied up with my work and my young family when this pen made its appearance and it completely passed me by. Now I'm on the lookout for a 75th Anniversary LE Grand (146). I have small hands and all my pens are users. I'm always amazed by folks who buy pens and don't use them. I've been collecting pens, stamps and coins for many years and very few collectors ever make a killing. If you're in this for an investment you're in for a big disappointment. Sorry for the rant.

BTW, congratulations on acquiring a beautiful pen and thanks for the photos. I'm happy you'll be using it.

I'm also a big fan of the 75th anniversary pens. Unfortunately I was tied up with my work and my young family when this pen made its appearance and it completely passed me by. Now I'm on the lookout for a 75th Anniversary LE Grand (146). I have small hands and all my pens are users. I'm always amazed by folks who buy pens and don't use them. I've been collecting pens, stamps and coins for many years and very few collectors ever make a killing. If you're in this for an investment you're in for a big disappointment. Sorry for the rant.

BTW, congratulations on acquiring a beautiful pen and thanks for the photos. I'm happy you'll be using it.

Do you use your coins or stamps? Or do you just admire them from time to time? A fountain pen collector—non-user—might do the same.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Good point, Frank. Sometimes my mouth engages before my brain does. I still think part of the joy of the hobby is using the pens. But your point well taken.

Ohhhh that nib!! Gorgeous! Thank you for the great review and the drool worthy pics :wub:

I was disappointed in both the look and feel of the 90th Anniversary edition. I had gone in to purchase that pen, and ended up deciding against it. Like you, I found the rose gold....lacking. Also, the nib felt rather meh. :( Your 75th edition is indeed spectacular! :yikes:

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

Sorry for this crass interruption, mods please delete if this is against forum rules. I have a very vast collection of unused undipped and uninked Writers and 1924 series FPs (the 149, 146, Solitaire, Solitaire Duoé, Mozart etc) Am going to be putting these up for sale in the classifieds very soon. Keep a look out....

If there's any specific pen that you're interested in, please feel free to pm me.

Edited by Pencentric