Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Is This A Real Hero 616?

ParkersandPilots

Hero 616 pens are inexpensive as it is. Why chance getting a fake? I had made the mistake of buying a few fake 616 pens. They were super cheap and they are junk. I was lucky to first buy a genuine Hero 616 so I could tell the difference. I feel sorry for the poor sod that buys a fake 616 and it puts him off from ever buying another model 616.

I buy my Hero pens from YESPEN on eBay. He also has a page detailing how one can tell the difference between a genuine Hero 616 and a fake. He illustrates the differences with photographs. Here is the link:

http://stores.ebay.com/YesPen/Know-more-about-the-hero-pen.html

I also bought a vintage set of fifteen Hero 612 pens with golden caps. I recall I paid only 19.00 USD for the lot. They are also superb writers.

I hope this helps.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Scrawler

• hombreverde

• platon951

I have a 616 Jumbo, which is a decent low price pen. It is a fine nib, suitable for margin notes. It does not dry out when left uncapped for long periods, and so is suitable for long boring meetings in which I must write those margin notes. It fills OK and a filling lasts long enough. I also had a package of 10 knock offs. The packaging is not as good as the real 616, and side by side you can see the errors. Three of them were simply garbage and went into the bin. Of the seven left, none of them fill well and I cannot get more than half a sac full. That is OK, I suppose, because they are so fine, they use little ink. The cover over the sac is very thin, and comes off easily, which makes it easier to use as a bulb filler. I eventually gave away five of the seven, with full disclosure of their shortcomings, to people who needed a really fine tipped writer. I would not give one of the fakes to a person who needed a school pen, they would be frustrated, but a knowledgeable person who was prepared to be patient could probably use them with not too many problems.

My advice when it comes to Chinese pens of any sort, is don't be cheap. It is not worth it, as you will end up spending more in the long run replacing them.

I've had bad experiences with even FAKE hero 616s.. why would you make a fake of a fake. haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Sridhar, the hood on the fake I have is about 44mm. The Jumbo's hood is 36mm and the 616-2's hood is 33mm. I would think that the small 616 and the 616-2 are the same, but someone else who has both may have to chime in on that.

RNHC: Thanks! My brother borrows that jacket for job interviews, but he usually only has one pen in the pocket. :D I do love my arrow clips!

33.8 mm HOOD WITHOUT WINDOW ON "SMALL VINTAGE HOODED"

ORIGINAL 616 GREEN FROM YESPEN 3.2 DLLS

NIB MEDIUM/FINE ---- BACK NIB /FINE

Edited by platon951

"SMALL VINTAGE HOODED 616 " from Yespen seller

barrel 78.3 mm
hood total 35 mm WITH WINDOW

CLIP 42 MM
topcap 57.8 mm
pen total lenght 12.8 mm CAPPED

THIS 616 SMALL FIT TO A PARKER 0.9mm PENCIL

CANT SAY WHAT IS THIS PARKER SERIE

PARKER PENCIL LENGHT 11.8 mm /CLIP 41.6 mm

post-121786-0-93205400-1430167644.jpg

post-121786-0-34077600-1430167676.jpg

post-121786-0-35622200-1430167726_thumb.jpg

post-121786-0-57609900-1430167738.jpg

post-121786-0-41775800-1430168060.jpg

Edited by platon951

YESPEN SAY:

SMALL 13.2.cm in length capped
616-2 13.7.cm in length capped
REGULAR 14.0cm in length capped
DOCTOR 14.2cm in length

YCPENS SAY:

REGULAR 616 128 mm (SMALL 616 BOUGHT ON YESPEN)

NEW 616-2 128 mm

BIG ZISE 616 139 mm (REGULAR ON YESPEN)

Edited by platon951

If they're real...it's a steal.

The genuine 616 is a great little workhorse pen. Tell us how it comes out.

I've never owned a Hero before so I won't be able to compare the quality, feel, etc.,. I'll post some photos for public perusal when it gets here.

What are people's opinions on these 616s? I couldn't resist the price. Now I'm worried that I paid too much! :lticaptd:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281675005454

Hardly. They look like real Hero pens. You should be receiving 3 perfectly functional pens. Even if they are fakes, the probability is that two of them are good. How about a review when you receive them. As Sailor Kenshin says, these real Hero Jumbo 616 are good work horse pens. Though you had better like fine nibs.

Hardly. They look like real Hero pens. You should be receiving 3 perfectly functional pens. Even if they are fakes, the probability is that two of them are good. How about a review when you receive them. As Sailor Kenshin says, these real Hero Jumbo 616 are good work horse pens. Though you had better like fine nibs.

A review? Sure! I've actually never written a review before but I might take a shot at it. Especially now that I'm officially finished with my second semester of graduate school I'll have more time to invest.

As a side note: I think they have a picture of all three colors but you have to choose one when ordering. In other words, it's one pen for $1.50. Still a great price, right?

A review? Sure! I've actually never written a review before but I might take a shot at it. Especially now that I'm officially finished with my second semester of graduate school I'll have more time to invest.

As a side note: I think they have a picture of all three colors but you have to choose one when ordering. In other words, it's one pen for $1.50. Still a great price, right?

The way they word it is misleading. Yes it is a great price, considering I paid $5 + postage for mine. And I do consider my $5 pen worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to remind ourselves that the capped length of the genuine 616 jumbo/doctor pen can vary slighty due to a pretty wide range of manufacturing tolerance in the inner cap dimensions. I've had some that are too norrow to allow the hood to insert deeply enough in the cap for the section rings to reach the cap clutch.

I do like the pen a lot and still use it when my hands aren't perfectly clean enough for 51s. It's sort of a 'pizza pen' or 'popcorn pen'.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I just want to remind ourselves that the capped length of the genuine 616 jumbo/doctor pen can vary slighty due to a pretty wide range of manufacturing tolerance in the inner cap dimensions. I've had some that are too norrow to allow the hood to insert deeply enough in the cap for the section rings to reach the cap clutch.

I do like the pen a lot and still use it when my hands aren't perfectly clean enough for 51s. It's sort of a 'pizza pen' or 'popcorn pen'.

That term tickles me. Borrowing it!

My other pen is a Montblanc and...

My other blog is a tumblr.

I bought two "Hero 616"s a while back for $1.50 including shipping.

I hope they're fake, because they sure are (bleep).