• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMLee

• mhguda

• pen2paper

• Earthdawn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (vermillionpart4 @ Mar 28 2007, 05:25 AM)
The word that springs to my mind is 'badass!'.

nice job!

hey,

that was the word I was gunna use..............

c

laugh.gif

Your journal looks very nice!

I can vouch for the excellent coptic stitch instructions at the trumpetvine link, btw-- I "reloaded" an old pocket Moleskine with Clairefontaine Triomphe paper, which makes me happy since now it takes FP ink without a hitch.

I will probably try Crane's cotton paper the next time, and follow the rest of the instructions properly.

(I didn't use glue or round the corners, so in all it took me a little over an hour to do, that on top of having to add thread and start over halfway through...oy.)

I am a newbie and this may have been mentioned, but there is a group of people who make journals they call 'hedgehogs' and they have all sorts of advice about paper, bindings, sewing, and sources. I 'ran' into them from the 'notebookism' site.

QUOTE (limfookming @ Mar 29 2007, 03:36 AM)
http://www.trumpetvine.com/sketchblog/moleskine-reloaded/

I managed to learn the Coptic (I think it's Coptic) from here but still use those PVC note holders to hold the books as I don't have ventured into covers.
A very clear illustration and explaination.

Tks LFM for the link . Yes its clearly described.

I am now planning my next handmade journal. I managed to buy some great papers for the covers. You shld take a look at these ..... fantastic.... bought 5 sheets - couldn't resist. Each is 12"x12". This is just one sample page.

http://www.basicgrey.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25

I just realized the covers have endless possibilities... let yr imagination run wild... use anything ! Be as creative as possible... Will use my fave Conqueror paper for the bookblock.

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

QUOTE (Tberry010 @ Mar 29 2007, 02:14 PM)
I am a newbie and this may have been mentioned, but there is a group of people who make journals they call 'hedgehogs' and they have all sorts of advice about paper, bindings, sewing, and sources. I 'ran' into them from the 'notebookism' site.

Dear Tberry .. can u provide the link ?

instagram

QUOTE (scribbler @ Mar 29 2007, 07:47 AM)
Your journal looks very nice!

I can vouch for the excellent coptic stitch instructions at the trumpetvine link, btw-- I "reloaded" an old pocket Moleskine with Clairefontaine Triomphe paper, which makes me happy since now it takes FP ink without a hitch.

I will probably try Crane's cotton paper the next time, and follow the rest of the instructions properly.

(I didn't use glue or round the corners, so in all it took me a little over an hour to do, that on top of having to add thread and start over halfway through...oy.)

Tks scribbler ....

Stripping off the Moleskine ? Ouch ! What do u do with them ripped out bookblocks. They must look so naked !

instagram

QUOTE (TMLee @ Mar 29 2007, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (Paddler @ Mar 28 2007, 04:50 PM)
For sewing the signatures together, you can use "artificial sinew". This is thin nylon ribbon (like really heavy dental floss).

Another really heavy synthetic thread is the stuff used to make bowstrings.
Paddler

Dear Paddler ..

Tks for the pointers. will source for these.

BTW, do pple stitch with dental floss?

Bowstrings, is it like for tennis rackets? won't it be too springy and not pliable enough?

You could probably use dental floss. Why not? It is a bit thin, though. It might cut through the pages. It could even give your book a minty scent!

No, the bowstring thread is nothing like tennis racket gut. When you make a bowstring, you twist perhaps a dozen lengths of this B50 together and then wax the whole thing. The individual strands are actually very limp.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

How about the strings the leather workers or cobblers use...

I use those made in china ones...they look bronze in color

OK ... this is my 2nd handmade book and my 1st attempt at a coptic stitch. Following the link showing how to do the coptic stitch.

I tried out only 3 signatures first. Each one 20 pages.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/journal%202/copticstitch3signatures.jpg

Opened. I used Conqueror paper. Vellum. Cream colored. 90g/sqm. Folded into A6 size. The stitch allows it to stay flat open.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/journal%202/copticstitchopened.jpg

I folded teh extra paper over the edges.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/journal%202/insidecovers.jpg

Overall view. I like the distressed effect of the paper.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/TMLee/journal%202/outsideview.jpg

I presented it to my son . I hope he uses it and don't keep it empty for that wd be a waste.

I plan to do a 5 or 6 signature book, now that I have more confidence. Only thing I am still unclear how to do the cover.

Edited by TMLee

instagram

QUOTE (psfred @ Mar 28 2007, 03:14 PM)

You can get leather fairly cheaply on eBay, one seller will happily split it for you, so that you can have one very thin epidermis leather (called a pliver) and the other half, now very smooth, called a nubuck or skiver. Both work well for bookbinding.

Hi Peter ...

Can u tell me the link to this leather seller? The leather workers here are selling at cutthroat prices! TIA

instagram

Sorry it took so long to answer.

The seller is uncle-george.

The descriptions are a bit overdone, but the leather is quite nice. He will split any regular hide down for you for $5 up to half a hide (35 sq ft).

There are also some VERY nice cowhides on the 'bay at the moment for very reasonable prices -- if I hadn't spent so much on pens already this year, I'd grab that 3 sq ft burgundy one at $75 without taking a breath first.

That's 10 ft by 6 ft -- medium rug size.

Most binding leather is 1 oz per square foot or less, but to have one split you might need it to be at least 3 oz so that you get something off the back, they can be somewhat shreddy otherwise.

Believe me, a full hide at 65 + square foot is HUGE -- I had to clear the living room to cut out the leather for my car seats the other year!

Peter

QUOTE (TMLee @ Mar 28 2007, 09:38 AM)
..........  like mull . I don't know what that is . But can I use , say bandage ? Or Cheesecloth ? ..........

I have quite a bit of mull on hand left over from when I was binding (and re-binding) books on a regular basis, TMLee. Send me your snail mail address back channel and I will send you enough mull to bind a few books.

James

QUOTE (TMLee @ Mar 28 2007, 09:38 AM)
.......... In place of the 'mull' here, I used nylon gauze - wedding veil material - and as you can see, it doesn't adhere . Hence I decided to stitch thru the signatures right thru to the leather ..........

For single section case bound books you can substitute artist's canvas for mull -- it works very well being strong and acid free.

James

QUOTE (psfred @ Mar 28 2007, 09:14 AM)
.......... I've used heavy nylon upholstery thread, but linen is probable better as it won't fail as quickly ..........

I have used #16 Button & Carpet thread (obtainable at any fabric store) for a number of years now as an occasional substitute for regular Bookbinder's sewing thread. It works very well (always ran through a beeswax cob, of course).

James

ya know, i was just thinking, and it might be a good idea to make and sell fountain pen friendly journals in the marketplace. some people dont want to take the time to make their own, or like me, cant find/afford all the materials [however cheap they are, its not cheap enough for me right now, i assure you].

a nicely made, reasonably priced journal, id buy one. plus it may inspire me to make my own later on when i get some money in my pockets.

-Nick

Stripping off the Moleskine ? Ouch ! What do u do with them ripped out bookblocks. They must look so naked !

TMLee, they go in a stack by date. biggrin.gif

Your coptic job looks good to my newbie eyes!

[The idea to get the thicker Moleskine Datebooks (expired or soon to be) and rip the innards out to use the covers sounds is something I'd like to try next. The datebook bookblocks are probably discards, in this case... wink.gif ]

Mr. Pickering, those are some very nice reject copies. I squirreled away the tip about wallpaper as a durable cover. Would it be safe to use to re-cover some books? (I have some paperbacks that are falling apart.)

QUOTE (psfred @ Apr 3 2007, 06:00 PM)

The seller is uncle-george.

Tks Peter . Will look him up. Still .... these pieces are too large.

instagram

QUOTE (James Pickering @ Apr 3 2007, 09:46 PM)
I have quite a bit of mull on hand left over from when I was binding (and re-binding) books on a regular basis, TMLee. Send me your snail mail address back channel and I will send you enough mull to bind a few books.

James

Mighty nice of u .. but unfortunately I live half way round the globe from u ...

instagram