Holy Sailor 1911 W/naginata Togi Nib

Jeff_H

For me, receiving this pen is the end of a 3 + month saga with Engeika. I wont go into all the details here, but this is the 3rd pen I've received from them in this saga, but the first time I received the pen I actually ordered. The first 2 pens they sent me had very significant nib problems. Severely misaligned tines and a nib that was so scratchy that I couldn't even get ink to come out. Both of these were new out of the box Sailors. My experience with those 2 pens was so bad I'd nearly sworn off Sailor unless I was to buy from nibs.com at full retail.

This pen makes me completely reconsider that.

A 1911 Sailor L w / Naginata-Togi nib in medium fine. Black with all rhodium trim. I've wanted this pen for some time. My first nice pen was a Sailor Pro Gear Slim, Sapporo, white and rhodium with a MF nib. Then I bought a 1911 M in burgundy and rhodium with a Naginata-Togi nib in MF. That pen has been my favorite writing nib as long as I've had it, but the pen body was just a tad too small to be comfortable for all my writing needs..... but the nib is perfect... just perfect.

Now this 1911 L shows up and blows me away. The packaging this pen came in makes me question whether the other pens I received from this vendor were really new from the factory. This pen was completely sealed in plastic and neither end was open. I opened it via a flap that was sealed with a tacky substance. Anyhow, once I took it out and inspected it, I wrote a couple of quick words on my Rhoda pad with the dry nib...and I could tell immediately it was aligned perfectly and polished to just the right smoothness. The nib on the 1911 L is also larger than the one on the 1911 M.

I flushed it, dried it and let it air dry some more, then inked it with Iroshizuku Horsetail and started writing. Really just an amazing writing experience. This nib is amazing, truly. So smooth, so fluid, with just enough feedback to give me great control over the nib.. Not too wet, not too dry, just right for me. Really a fine job by the factory of turning out a perfectly adjusted nib. It's actually better than the one I have that was tuned by John Mottishaw. I think at least part of the improvement in feel is due to the larger nib. It seems to give some additional cushion and spring vs. the smaller one.

This nib writes just a hair thicker than my other Naginata-Togi. It's not bad, just a small difference. What makes it even better is the size of the barrel and gripping section. It's the exact same length capped as my 149's, but it seems just slightly narrower in circumference. I'll have to look at the specs. It is definitely lighter. Whatever the differences, it sits in my hand just perfectly.

I've always known this was a great nib, one that I loved. I just had no idea it could get better. At between $205 and $230 from a variety of Japanese vendors, this is a pen you owe it to yourself to try if you are looking for another great pen in this price range. The Naginata-Togi nib can give some differences in line width, but I use it at a constant angle and it just adds a touch of flair and elegance to my cursive writing and does equally as well with my printing, which I use at work for list making.

It's a really great pen at about $215, but it's even worth it to pay retail and have John tune it.... that way you're guaranteed to get a great writing pen. Check it out if you can. It may be your grail pen too.

Edited by Jeff_H

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• Jeff_H

• migo984

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Sailors tend to be a hit or miss (likewise how I treat all pens) but normally you should'nt have any problem with the special nibs likewise I made a thread about renewing my confidence with Sailor... I wish it's going to be a good run... though I do like my Pilot Soft Medium (not Elabo nib)... I'm not sure how the Sailor nib will fair

Edited by Algester

I love the Naginata Togi in my Pro Gear Realo demo. Perfect straight out of the box & a cool looking pen.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I recently got the model identical to yours, except with the Naginata Togi Medium nib, for $195.50 on the Bay. I am delighted with it. The only smoother Sailor nib I have is a regular medium (not Naginata) on a King of Pen. Both of these nibs are 21k--I find Sailor's 21k nibs to be consistently better than their 14k ones. Better quality control?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Perhaps better QC on the nibs. Both of the nibs I had problems with were 21k. However, when they are right they are wonderful. I don't find them to be nails like so many say. They aren't springy or soft, but they aren't hard. Firm and smooth, but with enough give to be comfortable. They are great writers. I do have one 14k nib in MF that is a joy also.

How do you find the line width on your NM? My NMF writes like a broad and wider, just about at the useable limit for me. I assume since you love yours you don't find it too wide. What would you compare it to? A BB, BBB?

Edited by Jeff_H

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

I keep hearing about the hit or miss quality that Sailor nibs have and it makes me wonder if perhaps I've been EXTREMELY lucky with every Sailor I've ever tried. Not one has had an issue out of the box, but it's food for thought. Many of my Sailor pens I have bought were sealed when I got them though, so that may have made a difference, and the rest were from the Fountain Pen Hospital.

Sailors make great writers in my experience, and based on my experience I always recommend them. But seeing people complain about them has made me a little hesitant as of late! I wouldn't want anyone to get a shoddy pen. I can't use most of their specialty nibs though, because I prefer very fine lines.

Perhaps better QC on the nibs. Both of the nibs I had problems with were 21k. However, when they are right they are wonderful. I don't find them to be nails like so many say. They aren't springy or soft, but they aren't hard. Firm and smooth, but with enough give to be comfortable. They are great writers. I do have one 14k nib in MF that is a joy also.

How do you find the line width on your NM? My NMF writes like a broad and wider, just about at the useable limit for me. I assume since you love yours you don't find it too wide. What would you compare it to? A BB, BBB?

The Naginata Medium is comparable to a Pelikan Fine. There is a slight line variation, with the downstrokes just a little narrower than the cross strokes. I might try a NMF when the Realo with rhodium trim comes out, although I really should be saving up for a Nakaya.

Edited by jmccarty3

The Naginata Medium is comparable to a Pelikan Fine. There is a slight line variation, with the downstrokes just a little narrower than the cross strokes. I might try a NMF when the Realo with rhodium trim comes out, although I really should be saving up for a Nakaya.

That's very surprising to me. My N-MF is closer to a Pelikan B. Perhaps you hold the pen almost vertically?

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I think it depends mostly on the paper. On Rhodia dotpad, the line is much narrower, and there is remarkable shading with inks that are so inclined. On more absorbent paper, the line is much wider. I think if I were going to try another Naginata nib, I would get a MF. See the comparisons on nibs.com.