Help A College Student Choose A New Pen

rwifilipe

Hi,

I've been using fountain pens for a year now and i have a parker sonnet and a parker 45 that i use mainly at home.

I also have a pilot prera and a kaweco sports classic both with fine nib that i use in college to take notes.

Now i want to purchase a new pen, not only to extend my "collection" but also to have in rotation with the two i use in college. Here are my options so far:

1) buy another prera - i can get them arround 32€ directly from japan. i really like the fine nib and i have small hands so the size of the pen is perfect.

2) buy a kaweco al-sport (60€) - an aluminum version of the sports classic, i like the design of the pen, and they are really small, but the ink capacity is limited (i reffil the standard small cartriges with a seringe).

3) twsbi 580 (60€) - i've never tried one but it seems to have a large ink capacity, but maybe a little too big and flashy to use in college?

4) lamy 2000 - this one is much more expensive than the others but i like the way the nib is "disguised". it seems that when you're using it people didn't notice it is a fountain pen, which is a plus for me.

Please let me know your oppinion. i'm looking for a durable and a pen to use in a daily basis that goes unnoticed by most people.

Thank you

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rwifilipe

• benbot517

• ac12

• Runnin_Ute

I have both the 580 and a 2000, and I can say both are great choices.

The 580 has a maximum capacity of 1.85ml as compared to the 2000's 1.4ml.

I don't find my 580 too large and flashy. It is after all, a plastic pen, and doesn't scream "I'm expensive!".

Plus, it looks good seeing the ink slosh around the pen ;)

It's pretty durable too (though not as durable as a 2000). In the unfortunate event that it cracks, TWSBI will service it for you too!

The 2000 is a very understated pen, one that slips under most people's eye. Which is good since you don't want to draw attention yes?

My vote would be the 580, and with the remaining money, get some inks and/or notebooks for school.

Sorry I can't comment on your first two choices because I have neither :/

Hope I helped!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

If you've never held a Lamy 2000, do so before you buy one. The spring that holds the cap on irritates some people (such as myself) to no end. Others have no problem, and for them, it's nearly always a fantastic pen. It's fairly big.

You might also consider some of the hooded nib vintage Parkers -- 21s and 45s. They can be surprisingly affordable. But if you don't know what you're doing, be cautious about from whom you buy, or expect to pay for repairs.

It depends a lot of your need. Of the pen you mention, I never tried the twsbi (I was waiting for the steel version...).

The Prera, as you know, is an excellent pen and the nib is awesome, the same as the Pilot 78g. It a c/c pen, convenient if you can buy Pilot cartridges where you are. The Pilot converter doesn't hold much ink of course, but since the mouth is larger than the standard European converter flow related trouble are less likely to happen (in my experience at least).

The Kaweco is a fantastic pen, and their nibs are really better than good, very underestimated IMHO. c/c filler, with the pro and con of such a filling system. It does not take long cartridges. This pen is likely to last a lifetime.

I can't speak for the twsbi.

The 2k is a top notch pen, a pen for a lifetime. I am using a first year production, so almost 50 years old, and the pen is still working. The piston threads were dead though. The ink capacity is decent (1.4 seems accurate enough) but beware if you are using a B or BB nib. Some complain about the small sweet spot of the nib, but otherwise it's a fantastic writer, the nib being soft and springy. The ears can be troublesome to some, but the ergonomics of the pen is just the best IMO. The balance of the pen is perfect posted or not.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

The Kaweco AL is an amazing pen. It does have a converter, but the ink capacity is... small. Given that you have a plastic sport you probably don't need one (yet). I would agree with the others about the 2000 and the 580. Both are durable, and hold a ton of ink. I love both. The TWSBI does carry more ink, and I find it a tad more comfortable to use long term, but the Lamy still carries a ton of ink and if you get an EF, that pen will really meter out the ink. I can tell you that the 2000 is more durable. I've dropped mine (accidentally) on to pavement several times, and it left little to no mark on the pen. Both are fantastic.

"Oh deer."

Thank you all. I think i'll have a look at the twsbi 580 or maybe even the mini (i like small pens). As you say the Kaweco AL is an amazing pen but for now the plastic version will do. I'm planning buying the AL and the lamy 2k in the future (maybe 2016 :D)

The 580 is a fantastic pen at an amazing price. I've loved mine, and I'm sure you'll love yours too! :D

"Oh deer."

Why not get another P45?

I used 2 of them in college.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Why not get another P45?

I really like de P45 and they are metal (pretty much indestructible). The thing is i like old pens to keep them and not use them on a daily basis. I can't explain why... I guess i see them as works of art that are not made anymore

Yes, the P45 is old, and no longer made.

But there are LOTS of them on eBay, so they are easily purchased.

I have 2 of them inked right now, and in my pen cup for daily use.

I would say

- Decide which of your pens you like writing with the best (Pilot Prera or Kaweco al-sport).

- Get a 2nd of that pen, and use it for your backup pen for school. I prefer to have a matching backup pen.

The TWSBI 580 is a nice pen. But it would be a different pen than what you have. As above, I prefer to have matching (or similar) pens.

The Lamy 2000 is a nice pen, but IMHO too expensive to take to school. My idea of a school pen is a pen that would not be a significant financial impact if you had to replace it, due to damage, loss or theft. IWO, if you can't afford to replace it, don't take it to school. However, you can use a pen like that at home (where it is safe) to do your homework.

IMHO ink capacity is an overblown subject, so don't sweat it. All you need is a routine; at the end of the day, after you do your homework, refill the pen (and your backup pen if you used it). In this way, you start the day with a FULL pen. If you run out of ink or have trouble with your primary pen, switch to your backup pen and keep going.

One thing to think about is, screw vs. pull cap. I find a pull cap more convenient to use. If you ever lend your pen to a friend (not something I recommend), most people will try to pull the cap off, which would damage the threads.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Yes, the P45 is old, and no longer made.

But there are LOTS of them on eBay, so they are easily purchased.

I have 2 of them inked right now, and in my pen cup for daily use.

I would say

- Decide which of your pens you like writing with the best (Pilot Prera or Kaweco al-sport).

- Get a 2nd of that pen, and use it for your backup pen for school. I prefer to have a matching backup pen.

The TWSBI 580 is a nice pen. But it would be a different pen than what you have. As above, I prefer to have matching (or similar) pens.

The Lamy 2000 is a nice pen, but IMHO too expensive to take to school. My idea of a school pen is a pen that would not be a significant financial impact if you had to replace it, due to damage, loss or theft. IWO, if you can't afford to replace it, don't take it to school. However, you can use a pen like that at home (where it is safe) to do your homework.

IMHO ink capacity is an overblown subject, so don't sweat it. All you need is a routine; at the end of the day, after you do your homework, refill the pen (and your backup pen if you used it). In this way, you start the day with a FULL pen. If you run out of ink or have trouble with your primary pen, switch to your backup pen and keep going.

One thing to think about is, screw vs. pull cap. I find a pull cap more convenient to use. If you ever lend your pen to a friend (not something I recommend), most people will try to pull the cap off, which would damage the threads.

Thank you for your recommendation, and i must say you have a very good point.

As you say, the pilot prera is cheaper, the cap is a "pull" type, and it hold a bit more ink than the kaweco, however i find the kaweco with the stonewash finish to be absolutely beautiful (to me). It's a tough choice.

PS. the prera has a very distintive click sound that makes it very pleasant to cap and uncap

Edited by rwifilipe

I have all of them and I use only the TWSBI and the Prera for taking notes in university.

Kaweco nibs can be quite dry. My Kawecos are all skipping.

The 2000 is for me to fat and slippery. And everyone noticed it. It was like: WOW, cool fountain pen!!!11!!!!11!!

I don't know why.

The TWSBI was scratchy but I smoothed it. I love it and everyone thinks it must be cheap. Most people think it is a very cheap pen because they don't get the idea of demonstrator pens. Lots of ink, very nice pen.

The Prera was very dry in the beginning but now it writes quite ok.

I have all of them and I use only the TWSBI and the Prera for taking notes in university.

Kaweco nibs can be quite dry. My Kawecos are all skipping.

The 2000 is for me to fat and slippery. And everyone noticed it. It was like: WOW, cool fountain pen!!!11!!!!11!!

I don't know why.

The TWSBI was scratchy but I smoothed it. I love it and everyone thinks it must be cheap. Most people think it is a very cheap pen because they don't get the idea of demonstrator pens. Lots of ink, very nice pen.

The Prera was very dry in the beginning but now it writes quite ok.

How do you compare the prera to the twsbi? which one is more pleasent to write with? (i know those are subjective questions, but i'm just trying to figure this out :) )

I highly recommend the 580, I have one myself and I also use it for school, it is excellent because it holds up so much ink and I combined it with a Extra Fine nib so its extra-efficient with ink. Also, as people said before me, it is clear so it isn't flashy. (if you want flashy, take a look at the colors of the noodlers pens). So my vote goes to the 580, and for the others, never owned them so I can't comment on them.

-RTMC

Favorite Ink and Pen Combinations:

Monteverde Jewelria in Fine with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Jinhao x450 with a Goulet X-Fine Nib with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Lamy Al-Star BlueGreen in Extra Fine with Parker Quink Black

Pilot Metropolitan in Medium with Parker Quink Black

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

How do you compare the prera to the twsbi? which one is more pleasent to write with? (i know those are subjective questions, but i'm just trying to figure this out :) )

The Prera has a really butter smooth nib but it is kind of dry and it feels like I am writing with something round. The Prera is also very light.

The TWSBI feels sharper, writes quite wet and I like the grip section more. If you have small hands I suggest the TWSBI Classic. Not so big, nice nib. I use that TWSBI more than the other TWSBIs I got.

The 580 is not flashy. When I have gotten comments it is when people notice they can see the ink. Go to a mtg one week with a load of red another with a blue or orange or whatever....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

A Montblanc Meisterstuck is nice, but people will notice it.

You may want to consider a Pilot Metropolitan: Smooth, durable, cheap, and nice looking.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Why not get another P45?

So did I. Class of 1971 .

However, the TWSBI 580 is excellent utility. Who cares what

others think ! Most important >> what is comfortable in your hand ?

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !