"blue Merle" - Organics Studio Masters Of Writing Volume No. 9 Ernest's Vintage Writing Fluid

Michael R.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_6AhkszhrR8/VMSnUsyYXlI/AAAAAAAAAiY/dd_QYQaCW4U/s1600/P1240999a.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aMf_kFT8HCs/VMTBUsDsqbI/AAAAAAAAAio/4vMcbGMwdQs/s1600/Untitled-2.jpg

Blue Merle is a recreation of a vintage Carter's ink. The color is somewhere in between a dark grey and dark blue. It has more blue tones compared to a typical gray ink but also it is less blue compared to most blue-black inks. So far this ink has proven to write very well with good ink flow and has a nice antique look.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vXFZuRCJGoc/VMTB387Pn9I/AAAAAAAAAi4/pbKgzL_cjg0/s1600/BlueMerle.jpg

Blue Merle shows a little bit of shading, depending on the ink flow of the used pen. Since there is no true look-alike ink available this unique ink could become a highly sought after ink - especially after Tyler Thompson announced to stop producing ink for the moment in September 2014. Luckily another announcement was made in January 2015 that production of few selected inks might continue.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JtApALsAeyw/VMTBf6Oy_RI/AAAAAAAAAiw/KkaC_6n3D4o/s1600/BlueBlack.jpg

Edited by Michael R.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• Jamerelbe

• Tas

• visvamitra

A beautiful ink, one of my faves. Must be one of yours too judging from the three boxes.

I'm delighted that it's being made again so I won't be wasting any more ink on trying to mix up a match to replace it's absence :mellow:

Your comparison page is art to my eyes, gorgeous colours.

Thank you.

Thanks for your kind words!

I was able to get one bottle at the end of last year; the "three" boxes is just the the result of my scanner and photoshop :P

Have you been able to find one for yourself?

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R.

I'm a big fan of your reviews. Thank you for this one!

Yesterday I was cleaning some of my pens and discovered that after five months the ink (Blue Merle) evaporated and created some kind of nib crud.

http://imageshack.com/a/img910/1770/kcUsyQ.jpg

I believe though that after such a long time it's acceptable. I remember the flow was great and I really liked this ink.

Thanks for starting off your review with that beautiful snowscape. It set just the right tone. And for the comparison with other inks. I always appreciate some comparisons of other inks in the same color range.

I was fortunate to get a bottle of it before OS went defunct. Wish I had gotten more. Me and several hundred fans

I was fortunate to get a bottle of it before OS went defunct. Wish I had gotten more. Me and several hundred fans

You will be pleased to hear that Tyler is expecting to restart OS in a limited capacity soon, and that Blue Merle will be one of the few inks returning to production. :)

You will be pleased to hear that Tyler is expecting to restart OS in a limited capacity soon, and that Blue Merle will be one of the few inks returning to production. :)

That's very good news. I had tried some of the OS inks about a year and a half ago, and Blue Merle was just a lovely color.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I really liked my sample, but was trying to cut back on ink, and waited just a bit too long. I'll be happy to see it again.

Edited by Davros

• 1 month later...

I received a bottle of Blue Merle ink from an Australian ink supplier who'd been considering stocking some of the Organics Studio range, before production ceased.

[For context: I ordered a different ink from this supplier's website, which he didn't have in stock. Instead of refunding the money, he kindly sent me this and some other ink that he no longer had a use for!]

This review made me suspicious that 'Blue Merle' was a bit of a misnomer - I know the box says it's a "medium saturation blue-black ink", but in the above scans it really didn't look very blue to me! Having just inked up my Pilot Vanishing Point from my bottle and had a bit of a scribble, what I'm seeing looks much more grey to me than blue-black. In fact, I'm struggling to see any blue in it at all! :unsure:

I'm happy to give the ink a run, and see if the colour grows on me - it certainly seems to flow very nicely, just curious whether this is the experience of others who've tried it?

Blue Merle is the name for a kind of dog. The ink is a perfect match for that color.

Thanks, that makes more sense! According to the Google search I did, a blue merle dog has grey splotches of fur (the merle), and black spots. Just a little odd, then, that it's described on the box as blue-black! Never mind, still a decent colour, definitely has a place in my collection - might even whack up a review on FPN if I get the time...