Arielle Finberg

Hello. I have been watching this forum off and on for a couple of years but finally recently joined. I am in Sacramento, California. I use fountain pens almost exclusively for drawing and sketching. I very much enjoy and appreciate reading all the marvelous posts and learning from this forum. I hope to humbly contribute a bit back, perhaps in the form of reviews for others here who love to draw with pen and ink, as thanks to you all for this wonderful resource you have all built! :)

Arielle

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arielle Finberg

• RMN

• Sasha Royale

• lisadan

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello Arielle. Greetings from Mendocino county and a warm welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Howdy from (currently snowy) Pittsburgh! :W2FPN:

So what pens and inks do you use? Normally I would point new people to the "View New Content" button, to get a good overview of a variety of topics. In your case I would tell you specifically to look at the threads having to do with artistic endeavors (can't remember the one offhand, but the other is "Learning to Draw with Pen and Ink"). You can use the search function in the upper right hand corner of the screen and click on the "Google" search button and either search that was or from the drop down menu to the "Forums" option, then click the button with the magnifying glass on it.

And yes, please do post your drawings! (The relevant phrase you're likely to run across in different threads is "Pictures or it didn't happen!" :lol:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

:W2FPN:

Do your drawings favor any particular topic ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi Arielle and welcome to FPN

Enjoy

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hi Arielle, great to have you along!

Is your avatar one of your drawings?

Thanks, Stu! Yes, on of my imaginary creatures, but drawn with a a Sakura Micron, not a fountain pen. I was rushing to figure out what to use as an avatar. I'm going to change it today to one drawn with a fountain pen. ;)

Arielle

So what pens and inks do you use?

Well, I love dip pens and India ink very much. But it isn't a very convenient medium for sketching. And I am such a klutz. (whoops! -- If you get my meaning, ha, ha, ha ) So, I have off and on been using various fountain pens and felt tips with varied success.

Although felt tips are very convenient, I really love metal nibs and actual wet ink. I have tried various fountain pens but really haven't been greatly pleased. I have tried quite a few, I get frustrated, then give them up. Then I try again with something new because I really love the look of pen and ink. I don't have or want any very expensive pens. So I have tried Shaeffers in college, Rotring (both the technical and art pens), the newish Noodler's flex nibs, Platinum Preppy, and various Japanese "Manga" pens, and a few pens I converted to drip pens (but that didn't work out for me so well).

Finally I tried a Lamy since several artists I know like to sketch with them. I was surprised at how much I liked the Safaris. And I have a little Kaweco Sport Ice that I take along with me when I go sketching away from home. The Lamy is the only pen that seems to work absolutely reliably for me and the way I draw. I would love to get a gold nibbed on one day.

The inks I use are quite a variety. I really like many MANY. I try to keep one pen filled with a black ink; one with a brown, warm gray, or sepia ink; then one with a warm color and one with a cool color. I usually fill the Kaweco with a warm neutral since when I go out to sketch I love drawing from nature and browns and grays seem especially good for that.

Here is my current reference sheet of what I am using now.

testsheetfountain.jpg

Arielle