J. Herbin - Cacao Du Bresil

jasonchickerson

post-106358-0-44197000-1422076642_thumb.jpg

post-106358-0-90970400-1422076643_thumb.jpg

post-106358-0-28874800-1422076640_thumb.jpg

Cacao du Bresil is my most used ink. I keep it in my daily carry pen 90% of the time. It is so versatile, understated and beautiful. If you can't tell, I quite like it.

Warbler sketch was done with Cacao du Bresil, J. Herbin Terre de Feu and Rohrer & Klingner Alt-goldgrun in a Stilman and Birn Gamma Series sketchbook. Reasonable care was taken to ensure color accuracy.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jasonchickerson

• Cyber6

• Tas

• maiji

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And here's the chromatography for this ink. As suspected, it is a lavender-based ink that gets its warm grey by the addition of orange.

post-106358-0-34077600-1422222546_thumb.jpg

I admire your scans because I find them to be rather spot on. My experience with the ink has been exactly what you describe here. Thanks for the thorough and aesthetically pleasing review.

I admire your scans because I find them to be rather spot on. My experience with the ink has been exactly what you describe here. Thanks for the thorough and aesthetically pleasing review.

Thank you. I'm glad you found it helpful. I think we may be among the few who appreciate this ink, which is OK with me.

Same, they're lovely to look at and so informative at the same time. Thanks again.

More please . . . :)

Same, they're lovely to look at and so informative at the same time. Thanks again.

More please . . . :)

Thanks, Tas.

I've got some samples and bottles on the way. Hopefully more reviews soon.

I've got some samples and bottles on the way. Hopefully more reviews soon.

Ah!..... if that is what you need (more samples)... I can help!! :D

PM your address and I can keep you busy for the next while.... :lol:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Yay Cyber6 to the rescue :)

Watch out though jasonchickerson, I fell for the charms of one of her samples - A Fountain Pen Hospital exclusive.

Noodler's Ellis Island will be the next ink I buy . . . :wub:

*Update, Noodler's Ellis Island now on it's way from PFH :D

Edited by Tas

Ah!..... if that is what you need (more samples)... I can help!! :D

PM your address and I can keep you busy for the next while.... :lol:

C.

Wow, you are too kind. PM on its way!

Wow, you are too kind. PM on its way!

Dude... no kindness at all.... pure self interest... I want to please my eyes with your amazing drawings.... ;)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Wow! Lovely ink... This tempts me to give brown inks another shot.

The great thing about Cacao is, when you tire of brown in your pen, just think of it as grey. :rolleyes:

:W2FPN:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is bluish grey :(

I believe there have been a couple of off batches. The blue/grey and the chocolate milk. I'd contact the seller or herbin and ask for a replacement.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say that your review was the clincher in my decision to buy a full bottle of Cacao du Bresil today. I do pen+water drawings (usually Pilot fineliner, brush pen, or Muji pens + water) and was looking to start using a fountain pen regularly in this capacity. I find many reviews, while also immensely helpful (not to mention enjoyable to read), definitely skew more towards a writing angle. So I really appreciate that you showed water drops and washes and that lovely warbler illustration to convey a clearer idea of potential results. Not to mention the fascinating chromatography. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! I'm super excited about using this colour!

happy little squirrel :3

humangray.com - art etc. (my instagram has more fountain pen/ink/attempts at calligraphy/doodles)

Now Recharging - a slice of life webcomic about a sheep-loving android who is bad at math and worried about nonexistence.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, can actually see the brown in your scans; most of the reviews you can only see grey, though that itself was enough to sell me on it.

Aargh!! Now I have to buy another ink!

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.