• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• octatonic

• OcalaFlGuy

• SockAddict

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guess I'm just rubbish at searching then. ho hum. :)

If you don't mind a fixer upper, eBay can have some good deals even with 51s.

I have two demi 51s, both acquired on the bay fairly cheaply, but they both needed work.

The first was a teal demi for $24 BIN with a cracked hood. I was able to source a replacement from Ernesto Soler for $10. I took the old hood off myself and put on the new one.

The second was more expensive at $40 in black. It never wrote right and it sat in my pen case for 2 or 3 years. I just had to repaired for $25. It needed a nib adjustment and a new breather tube. It had one of the sterling tubes that had corroded and split in half. So for $34 and $65, I think I did fairly well, but I agree that the prices of 51s on eBay have gotten quite out of hand the last few years.

In regards to the OP, that's a very impressive collection. Now you need to find them with gold filled caps :)

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I have thought about it but there are two obstacles: 1. I have no experience of fixing anything pen related (materials and tools would all have to be imported too), and 2. the logistics of being this far from civilisation makes it all a bit of a drag.

A cedar blue demi with a sterling silver cap has a place in my pen wrap (if I could find one). I'm no longer interested in any other 51s. Actually, now that I think on it I am not really bothered about anything that doesn't offer an interesting writing experience. The 51s in their common natural state - custom grinds aside - offer nothing of interest to a writer.

Edited by Cardboard_Tube

Okay, now I'm going to thank you again for sharing your picture! I know you apologized for the photo, but it's one of the few where the last five don't *all* look black. I can really see the differences here. Even knowing they'd be darker in person, I like being able to really see the colors.

Thanks SockAddict! I actually like the fact that those colors can look black and then when good light hits them, you see the color. I don't know if Parker somehow did that on purpose and I know a lot of people complain about that, but I think it's cool! But then I don't like flashy pens that get attention, maybe that's also why I went crazy for the '51'.

Also, my wife is a spinner/kniter and said she knows the yarn in your avatar... :)

Octatonic

Thanks Florida Blue! I do have one GF cap that I put on when I go to important meetings :) even though it was previously enjoyed by it's former owner... and one beauty with a gold clip, that stays at home on my desk...!

Octatonic

Thanks SockAddict! I actually like the fact that those colors can look black and then when good light hits them, you see the color. I don't know if Parker somehow did that on purpose and I know a lot of people complain about that, but I think it's cool! But then I don't like flashy pens that get attention, maybe that's also why I went crazy for the '51'.

Also, my wife is a spinner/kniter and said she knows the yarn in your avatar... :)

Subtle colors can be really lovely. I've just never seen a 51 in person, so when people say "burgundy" and I see "black" … It's nice to have a good idea of the real in-person colors now.

And yes, that yarn was very popular for a while!

one beauty with a gold clip, that stays at home on my desk...!

This one I'd bet.

Plum2.JPG

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The near original frosting and clean GF trim made that a really nice looker.

The frosting and GT make for IMO a regal touch to the Plum.

A very nice(st) combo with Plum IMO.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Subtle colors can be really lovely. I've just never seen a 51 in person, so when people say "burgundy" and I see "black" … It's nice to have a good idea of the real in-person colors now.

In a lot of light, the Plummers *do* look black. As a result, I missed a great deal on one the weekend I got my Plum Demi, because even the seller called it black. FPNer Farmersmum, OTOH, had sharper eyes and scored it for around $40 US.

I would love to get a Midnight Blue Aero at some point, but the prices on those seem to have risen sharply, compared to some of the other colors (one on the Bay of Evil went for about $100 earlier today -- too rich for my blood, and I couldn't tell from the awful photos whether it was really Midnight Blue or Teal) and at the moment I'm looking at other pens (I know, seriously -- but it's true ;)) plus, with 4 Aeros and 2 51 Vacs, along with a 51 Special and a 21, I can't really complain).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And yes, that yarn was very popular for a while!

And for the one Aero color that Octatonic didn't cover.

YouMakeTheCall.jpg

Bloody Brit Burgundy.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I would love to get a Midnight Blue Aero at some point, but the prices on those seem to have risen sharply, compared to some of the other colors...

I have a midnight blue aero. It was the first 51 I bought. It came from Penfisher by request. I don't really use it that much as the nib is on the medium side of fine.

I love Penfishers and Farmersmums pen listings.

They do the pen up right. They do the listing up right.

And, I can be a little picky about pen listings. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

And for the record on the above Plummer pic.

One of the 4 Plummers is Octatonics, the 3rd one down I believe. I came to me for a color verification and a clean out/polish job. The bottom demi with GT was mine, is Octatonics now. I still have the 1st and 2nd Plummers and the BBB.

Also a 2nd Blood Brit Burgundy with a rolled silver, gold trim cap.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl