• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• octatonic

• OcalaFlGuy

• SockAddict

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So nice! The fiber artist in me (haha -- I make quilts and knit) wants to play with those colors and put them in different orders. :)

Edited by SockAddict

And all in just a few months from the first one.

Well done fellow addict.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Considering your success in this venture, Octatonic, perhaps you could reveal your strategy for the hunt? I don't think I have seen anyone post their methods yet, you could be the first! :)

I've been singularly unsuccessful at finding anything worthwhile on eBay, I don't have access to a physical market so that may skew my results. In the end I have had to concede defeat and focus on other things, but it was a small dream for while.

Anyway, again, nice collection!

Nice. You've got more than me (and two of mine are 51 Vacs, and I have one each of Aerometric and Vac filler in black).

So, what's the one on the end, and the one between the teal and the blue?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In order from left to right, they are Navy Gray, Cocoa, Teal, Forest Green, Midnight Blue, Burgundy, Plum and Black.

Octatonic

I'm guessing the one between the teal and the blue is a forest green, and the one on the opposite end from the black is a grey or navy grey.

Spot on! As far as a strategy, I just decided that I wanted all 8 with the full encased filler and that said 'press ribbed bar 6 times use Superchrome ink...' I am a user and not a collector (although it might seem like it :) ). I got most of them for $50 or less. I watched a lot on the Bay of Evil and was patient. Bruce (OcalaFlGuy) helped me with the first, (more than I could ever explain) and taught me how to look and what was reasonable to pay. He also advised on using auction sniper (which I know can be a touchy thing) but I found that it didn't cause bidding wars. I have also set a tab on my computer to go to 'newly listed' Ebay auctions and check it fairly often during the day. If you are quick, there is sometimes a BIN for a really good price, but they go quickly. Cardboard Tube, I hope this helps! I have now enabled a fellow musician friend and he now has the '51' disease...doctors keep promising a cure...I don't think it will ever happen... :)

Octatonic

Demi-rainbow all the way! What does this mean?!?

Just my little fun. It is all 8 of the Demi Aerometric colors, except for the Signet/Insignia (gold) which just has too much bling for me. Now if only they made a demi Flighter..... :)

Octatonic

Thanks Octatonic, that was useful. It's always nice to get some inside help. I have started another thread where the main message for newcomers is to ask questions and ask for help. Something I didn't do and ended up paying for the omission. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have had a tiny hand in your plum buy, or it may have been for someone else, can't remember. Anyway, too late for me now as the main door into 51s is now firmly shut.

If you had a hand in it, THANK YOU!

What do you mean by 'firmly shut' ? Just curious...

Edited by octatonic

Octatonic

Just that certain avenues are no longer available. No big deal. I, at least, have moved on, smiling in the sunshine and whistling a happy tune.

If you had a hand in it, THANK YOU!

It may not have been. Memory is funny like that, especially as we age.

Very nice demi collection. When I first began finding demis years ago I was stumped to figure out what they were. I thought they were fakes. The parker51.com site straightened me out on that. I ended up with a teal set, a black set and a cocoa set plus teal and midnight blue aerometric pens. With the cap posted they are nice pens to use.

I also have a gray vac demi that I think looks rather odd. I think it looks like a sawed-off pen. It is a nice writer.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Even though I have large hands I find that the demi seems to fit better than the full size 51s. Not quite sure why. Harder to find at sensible prices though, so I am stuck with two full size 51s for the time being.

In order from left to right, they are Navy Gray, Cocoa, Teal, Forest Green, Midnight Blue, Burgundy, Plum and Black.

Okay, now I'm going to thank you again for sharing your picture! I know you apologized for the photo, but it's one of the few where the last five don't *all* look black. I can really see the differences here. Even knowing they'd be darker in person, I like being able to really see the colors.

Octatonic is pretty diligent in his Fleabay searching. That's a biggee.

To Find the deals, ya gotta, you know, LOOK for them.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl