Group Buy In India?

mehandiratta

In my view saying P51 or Lamy 2000 has nothing to do with a copy or a copy cat or exact replica. It is only an indication of external appearance - nothing more than that.

I guess if one wants a hooded nib ebonite - given that there has already been all kinds of shapes explored previously by different brands, its obvious that instead of reinventing the wheel, we just say this design or that design being fully aware that none of the internal mechanism of original pens would be there in such pen. Nor that the size would be exactly same, nor that these would be standard pens as these ebonites are handmade !

And I also feel it has nothing to do with price. Many of us can easily buy these pens like Lamy 2000 etc in original brand new. Its just that we love ebonite pens and are very happy with the services of ASApens.

And we know that ASA does it fast & delivers (just a happy customer)

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• a_m

• rishminder

• mhguda

Ok, last answer:

I think you are seeing this wrong, my friend.

Parker, Lamy, Waterman, Pelikan, Swan, and many, many other BRANDS are famous, well known names whose history goes back to the very beginning of the fountain pen industry.

ASA pens from India is an interesting young, new brand that makes beautiful products and such a brand certainly deserves our attention.

It is perfectly normal to discuss aspects of brands on FPN in every possible point of view.

That is what FPN is founded for and that is what we do here.

Brands, fountain pen products etc. are today, were in the past and will be in future commercially marketed and sold and advertized by countless companies who's main interest is to do bussiness.

So that is not what we do here. However, FPN has created two places on the forum where you do have the possibility to do so. It is called The Market Place with two main subjects called The Mall and Market Watch. All within the rules of FPN.

On topic:

If you want to praise the benefits of hand made Indian ebonite pens by, to name just a few, Ratnam, Guider, Bramam, Deccan, ASA pens and countless others: be welcome here!

If you want to praise the commercial benefits of a seller called ASA pens: please post on Market Place!

This is what I had to say and as far as my contribution is concerned this discussion is closed!

With all respect, and best regards, Lexaf aka Lex van Galen from The Netherlands.

Edited by Lexaf

That is exactly my point: If you are going for a good pen, that meets your expectations in quality and design, go for the original. In this case the material of the body should be considered as a secundary issue. I love ebonite as a great material for making pen bodies. But there is also the respect for other designs and brands that do not use hard rubber any more.

The Parker 51 evoluted from a simply constructed basic black ebonite eye dropper in 1880, to a highly sophisticated technically almost perfect fountain pen in the 1940's. True, the weak point is that its made from a breakable sort of plastic. But ebonite has its own good and bad issues too. And ten-thousands of 51's are still functional these days after 50 years or more.

The body of a Lamy 2000 is not ebonite but a high tech well constructed ABS plastic, that is almost indestructible.

So both pens would meet your wishes. What is left is, no offence, your wish to have an ebonite pen that at its best looks like the model its inspired by. But, in my opinion, it will never even nearly meet its technical specifications. In other words, what you want is a combination that could not be realized.

I don't expect it to behave or write like a 51 or 2000. I just think it looks like a good design. I personally have no experience with making pens, so I don't know what would be a balanced pen, and what would not. I already have a 51 and quite like it.

What sort of design would you suggest? I mean we have to base our design on something right?

In my view saying P51 or Lamy 2000 has nothing to do with a copy or a copy cat or exact replica. It is only an indication of external appearance - nothing more than that.

I guess if one wants a hooded nib ebonite - given that there has already been all kinds of shapes explored previously by different brands, its obvious that instead of reinventing the wheel, we just say this design or that design being fully aware that none of the internal mechanism of original pens would be there in such pen. Nor that the size would be exactly same, nor that these would be standard pens as these ebonites are handmade !

And I also feel it has nothing to do with price. Many of us can easily buy these pens like Lamy 2000 etc in original brand new. Its just that we love ebonite pens and are very happy with the services of ASApens.

And we know that ASA does it fast & delivers (just a happy customer)

Yep, agree with everything here.

As for any bias towards ASA, I'm not sure there is any. For me, I've only ordered a pen directly from a seller once. I have only one ebonite pen, and ASA is the only Indian company I've dealt with so I know I can rely on them. I'm sure others such as Ranga are very good makers of pens as well, but I've never bought from them before. So it would make sense for me to want to go with a seller I'm familiar with, no?

Anyway, lets move past all this and settle on a design?

Lexaf, are there any hooded designs or other designs in general you'd like to have?

Ok guys, thank you for dragging me back in the discussion... :)

What design would I like? That is a difficult question. I like a lot of very different pens, and I also own a lot of different pens.

Actually most of them are just collectors items for me, I cherish them because of their intrinsic beauty, or their special features, or because they are part of a production evolution, or because they are great writers.

Some of the great writers are part of my daily circulation set of about 12 pens. I keep them in a box on my desk and I choose whichever I like at any certain moment. This working set changes on a regular basis, now and then I swap pens from my collection to 'the box'

Two of the pens in my actual rotation now are Indian ebonite pens. Both recently made and both eye droppers. I like them very much. One is the double ended pen I already mentioned earlier in this tread, the other one is a beautiful very classic designed rather small pen that I like for its shape and its amazing malachite green color. The double pen was a gift from a dear pen friend and the other one, the green rippled pen cam quite recently from an Indian seller through e-Bay.

I'll include some pictures at the end of this posting so you can find out for yourself where they come from. Google is your friend :)

I must admit that I am not a great lover of hooded pens, as you already may have noticed. I do own some Parker 51's that I like because it is actually one of the best pens ever made from a technical point of view. I have them mainly because they fit in my collection, I seldom use them. One of my P51's used to be my late fathers pen, so I'll cherish that one anyway. It was more or less the start of my collection 25 years ago and if I had to abandon all my pens, I certainly would keep this one. I already pointed out that I rather go for the real thing, so a hooded 51 like Ebonite eyedropper especially as a user pen would certainly not my first choice.

Some 10 years ago I obtained a large lot of junk pens from a guy on e-Bay. Most of these proved to be quite old Indian made pens and I was able to restore a large part of the lot. That was the beginning of my collection of Indian made pens, and I have loved Indian pens ever since. In due time I bought some more pens, vintage as well as new, mostly on e-Bay.

As it comes to Indian pens I go for the classical models with the design of a basic fountain pen.

The green pen fits into that idea. The Double pen I like because its very special in one way: because its a double sided pen! You don't see that very often, and it was a good and practical Idea to have just one pen on my desk that has blue ink on one side and red on the other. Besides that I love the very basic almost minimal design. Just a straight black stick, with caps on both sides, almost jointless closing to the barrel, no clip... so I named it my 'Magic Wand'. Its unlike any other pen I have.

Both pens I describe here are very typical for what the Indian fountain pen makers are capable of: Original design, perfect finishing of the body. Perfect material, that is ebonite, minimal technique ( actually no technique ) in the filling system, both pens being eye droppers.

Why not a hooded nib for me? Because that is a personal choice. I am just not fond of hooded nibbed pens. I prefer 'open nibbed' pens. Besides that, for me the only real hooded pens are the Parker 51, 21, 61, 17 etc. Numerous other companies in the world tried to imitate the design, but it will never be a 51. As for Indian pens: there are a lot of beautiful classical and traditional designs. You can often also find good designs in (new or modern) pens produced in other parts of the world, but seldom in ebonite and almost never entirely hand made, except for really very expensive Japanese pens and some artisan pens you could find from some makers in the USA. All far, far above my budget. The pens from India are often within my budget, which makes me very happy!

Just a few day ago I ordered a new pen from India, through a contact here on FPN. It will take some time to get to The Netherlands and I cannot wait to have it here and use it.

With this posting I hope I gave you an impression of what I like and what I see in Indian ebonite pens.

Some pictures to end my story.

Enjoy:

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/Lex_van_Galen/DSCF4459_zps84b3bfbd.jpg

The 'Magic Wand' (own picture)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/Lex_van_Galen/DSCF4269_zpsea0c7667.jpg

The Malachite Green Ripple Eyedropper (modified with another clip and and an IPG nib) (own picture)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/Lex_van_Galen/ratnamsonmetredburgundypen3_zps0a4bed43.jpg

The wonderful very classical designed burgundy red ripple pen that I am waiting for. Somewhere in the pipeline from India to Holland. (picture from the seller).

Ok guys, thank you for dragging me back in the discussion... :)

What design would I like? That is a difficult question. I like a lot of very different pens, and I also own a lot of different pens.

Actually most of them are just collectors items for me, I cherish them because of their intrinsic beauty, or their special features, or because they are part of a production evolution, or because they are great writers.

Some of the great writers are part of my daily circulation set of about 12 pens. I keep them in a box on my desk and I choose whichever I like at any certain moment. This working set changes on a regular basis, now and then I swap pens from my collection to 'the box'

Two of the pens in my actual rotation now are Indian ebonite pens. Both recently made and both eye droppers. I like them very much. One is the double ended pen I already mentioned earlier in this tread, the other one is a beautiful very classic designed rather small pen that I like for its shape and its amazing malachite green color. The double pen was a gift from a dear pen friend and the other one, the green rippled pen cam quite recently from an Indian seller through e-Bay.

I'll include some pictures at the end of this posting so you can find out for yourself where they come from. Google is your friend :)

I must admit that I am not a great lover of hooded pens, as you already may have noticed. I do own some Parker 51's that I like because it is actually one of the best pens ever made from a technical point of view. I have them mainly because they fit in my collection, I seldom use them. One of my P51's used to be my late fathers pen, so I'll cherish that one anyway. It was more or less the start of my collection 25 years ago and if I had to abandon all my pens, I certainly would keep this one. I already pointed out that I rather go for the real thing, so a hooded 51 like Ebonite eyedropper especially as a user pen would certainly not my first choice.

Some 10 years ago I obtained a large lot of junk pens from a guy on e-Bay. Most of these proved to be quite old Indian made pens and I was able to restore a large part of the lot. That was the beginning of my collection of Indian made pens, and I have loved Indian pens ever since. In due time I bought some more pens, vintage as well as new, mostly on e-Bay.

As it comes to Indian pens I go for the classical models with the design of a basic fountain pen.

The green pen fits into that idea. The Double pen I like because its very special in one way: because its a double sided pen! You don't see that very often, and it was a good and practical Idea to have just one pen on my desk that has blue ink on one side and red on the other. Besides that I love the very basic almost minimal design. Just a straight black stick, with caps on both sides, almost jointless closing to the barrel, no clip... so I named it my 'Magic Wand'. Its unlike any other pen I have.

Both pens I describe here are very typical for what the Indian fountain pen makers are capable of: Original design, perfect finishing of the body. Perfect material, that is ebonite, minimal technique ( actually no technique ) in the filling system, both pens being eye droppers.

Why not a hooded nib for me? Because that is a personal choice. I am just not fond of hooded nibbed pens. I prefer 'open nibbed' pens. Besides that, for me the only real hooded pens are the Parker 51, 21, 61, 17 etc. Numerous other companies in the world tried to imitate the design, but it will never be a 51. As for Indian pens: there are a lot of beautiful classical and traditional designs. You can often also find good designs in (new or modern) pens produced in other parts of the world, but seldom in ebonite and almost never entirely hand made, except for really very expensive Japanese pens and some artisan pens you could find from some makers in the USA. All far, far above my budget. The pens from India are often within my budget, which makes me very happy!

Just a few day ago I ordered a new pen from India, through a contact here on FPN. It will take some time to get to The Netherlands and I cannot wait to have it here and use it.

With this posting I hope I gave you an impression of what I like and what I see in Indian ebonite pens.

Some pictures to end my story.

Enjoy:

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/Lex_van_Galen/DSCF4459_zps84b3bfbd.jpg

The 'Magic Wand' (own picture)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/Lex_van_Galen/DSCF4269_zpsea0c7667.jpg

The Malachite Green Ripple Eyedropper (modified with another clip and and an IPG nib) (own picture)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/Lex_van_Galen/ratnamsonmetredburgundypen3_zps0a4bed43.jpg

The wonderful very classical designed burgundy red ripple pen that I am waiting for. Somewhere in the pipeline from India to Holland. (picture from the seller).

the red burgundy pen looks a stunner... who is doing this for you....

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

i believe ranga pens does it...

but this no. 302 seems of ratnamsons..

have seen this in classifieds of another forum but red color was not in the list

Edited by rishminder

I'm not sure, because I am not buying directly from them, but I think this one is made by Guider. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure, because I am not buying directly from them, but I think this one is made by Guider. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, it looks more like a Guider design than Ranga. I would have said Guider, too.

I am glad you all came to terms with the quarrel. ;)

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

AFAIK Ratnamsons issues pens with model numbers

I put my savings to test

AFAIK Ratnamsons issues pens with model numbers

You are absolutely right Anup.

I just tried to copy the photo and was not allowed, however the photo name said Ratnamson Metred Burgundy Pen 302.

It is a stunner. Good buy, Lex.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Sometimes dark brown ebonites also look red in images

I put my savings to test

Sometimes dark brown ebonites also look red in images

It is burgundy ripple ebonite pen from Ratnamson. They have added quite a few ebonite colors to their line up.

An update on Onyx: 12 confirmed and one tentative.

Most requests were for Schmidt nib units.

Buyers can pick from any of the 6 ebonite colors: black, brown, tan, green, burgundy, blue.

Sent this by PM to Vaibhav Mehandiratta, the organiser of the group buy too.

@Mesu do u sell in india? Can u send me price list? Thanks

I put my savings to test

Mesu,

I'd like to add a blue one to my entry on the list - tempted just a little too much I guess. Is it blue ripple?

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi