• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• kenny

• Col

• rogerb

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a VP as my first real FP, The clip is not an issue at all. It helps center the tip for me. I plan to get a few more pens in the next year as I learn more about them.

For an everyday pen I'm very happy with the VP.

Well I have taken the plunge and got a VP. Thanks to misterh for all his help on this! It really is a super pen. So I wasn't put off by the clip placement. It took only a minute or two to get used to. I'm beginning to see why people rave about them.

• 1 month later...

The design and positioning of the clip is one of its highlights and I think it's a wonderful idea.

Current lineup:

Pelikan: 1935 Lapis Blue LE, Concerto LE

Waterman: Harmonie

Mont Blanc: Karajan SE

Pilot/Namiki: VP Raden

Delta: Indigenious People - Maasai LE

Stipula: Pinocchio (Candy White) with titanium nib

Visconti: Van Gogh (Ocean Blue) midi

Omas: 620 demonstrator (black)

Sailor: Professional Gear (Kanreki Edition)

Hero: unknown FP

Wish List:

Montegrappa: Symphony (yellow)

Omas: 360, Unicef

etc.

I liked where the clip is as it tells me where to hold the pen to start writing. I used it every day for a while and the push button is a great convenience feature. It is my first serious fountain pen. The only reason I use something different is variety.

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

There have been several threads about the Namiki Vanishing point pen and usually there surfaces a discussion about the location of the clip and a person's preference for the pen.

So here is a poll- do you not like the VP because of the clip location makes it uncomfortable or difficult tyo write with.

I had all sorts of problems with this poll....sorta like a double negative. I have a VP, love it and the clip is absolutely no bother. Great pen!

Cheers,

Bill J

• 5 months later...

I voted "No" before reading the debate over the meaning of the question. I *do* own a VP (and two decimos!) and I am one of the lucky persons who do not mind the clip's location at all. It drives my boyfriend nuts, though...

Edited by twinofmunin

hugin

Yeah, same here!

Not to seem like a jerk (can't help myself), but does "No" mean the clip position doesn't bother you, or that you don't have a Vanishing Point for some other reason?

Doug

I was confused by the question myself. I voted NO because I own a VP and the clip dosen't bother me.

:unsure:

Bob

Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

So, I'm sitting here looking at my brand new VP from Richard Binder, and I got to ask. Why couldn't Pilot put the clip on the other end if it annoys so many people?

By the way, I absolutely love this pen. I don't know if it's the Binderized nib or if they all come this way, but the way this pen writes is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

I just got my first Pilot Capless (from UK, hence the name!),and have no problem with the clip position.

I also Have a Delta Monza LE which has a similar clip.

BTW, I voted "No" (assuming it meant "I do NOT not-own a VP because of its clip" :)

It could have been worded somewhere along the lines of:

"Has the positioning of the clip deterred you from buying a VP/Capless?"

Would that have got the results you hoped-for, Kurt?

As it is the results appear to be of limited (statistical) value due to misunderstandings of the question.

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I voted "No" before reading the debate over the meaning of the question. I *do* own a VP (and two decimos!) and I am one of the lucky persons who do not mind the clip's location at all. It drives my boyfriend nuts, though...

Well it does stop his borrowing them :D

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

The clip placement bugs the (Potty Mouth) out of me. I've been through 3 VP's and one Decimo trying to like that pen over the past 10 years.

The nibs are great.

The convenience of the retractable nib is great.

I even tried a custom Oblique Nib on the last VP, but I've sold them all.

If they created a rotatable clip, that might work. MIGHT.

Skip

Edited by skipwilliams

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

So, I'm sitting here looking at my brand new VP from Richard Binder, and I got to ask. Why couldn't Pilot put the clip on the other end if it annoys so many people?

Because then the pen would be held nib down and would probably leak into your pocket. Fountain pens are always clipped nib up...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Because then the pen would be held nib down and would probably leak into your pocket. Fountain pens are always clipped nib up...

Actually, Gawain has a point... if Pilot could have put the clip on the underside of the pen, as you hold it nib up, I think that would have worked a little better. Try it, if you have a VP. You'll see that the thumb and middle finger touch it, but no more than the thumb and forefinger when the clip is on the top. The advantage of the bottom is that your forefinger can rest easily on the top. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Hi - first time poster, moderate-time lurker. I ordered a yellow/silver VP from Swisher Pens and while I have never held one it seems I shouldn't have a problem. Someone here mentioned (maybe in this thread early on?) that if your writing grip is with your thumb and finger over the top of the pen it would be an issue; as it is, I write with them on either side of the barrel.

Hi - first time poster, moderate-time lurker. I ordered a yellow/silver VP from Swisher Pens and while I have never held one it seems I shouldn't have a problem. Someone here mentioned (maybe in this thread early on?) that if your writing grip is with your thumb and finger over the top of the pen it would be an issue; as it is, I write with them on either side of the barrel.

Yeah, me too. You should be fine. As probably said above - I'm too tired to read all of the posts in this thread tonight - the advantage to the clip is it may help you position your hand to put the sweet spot of the nib on the paper. Less critical with standard F, M, or B nibs - more critical when using your VP with an italic nib unit.

A great, versatile & practical pen. I hope you enjoy yours.

:W2FPN:

Edited by Jersey Diabolo

I think the fact of the matter is that everyone hold their pen differently.

I don't have a problem with the clip as it is - in fact it help me grip the pen the right way up if I grab it without looking so it's a bonus for me.

As Gary suggested, putting the clip on the underside may help some but for me this would be a no-no becuase my pen grip has my middle finger going under the pen and the clip would annoy the hell out of me! In fact, holding it this way would result in the pen being rotated about 45 degrees clockwise and the nib would not touch the paper well.

I guess this is why people who have a grip that puts the clip between their fingers on the top which results in pen rotation actually write better with a VP and an oblique nib.

Pilot have obviously catered to the masses with the clip design and while that may annoy a (vocal) minority, the majority are very happy with the pen as it is.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77