List Of Nibmeisters?

Aetheric Continua

Good day, all.

I've done a few searches and looked at some stickies, but I can't seem to find any kind of nibmeister listing. I am considering sending my Lamy 2000 <F> in for work since I can't seem to get the darn thing to write (consistently) as wonderfully as I know it has the capability to. I've seen a few names on the forum (Pendleton Brown, Mike Masuyama, and Richard Binder, but I recall it being said that he doesn't work on mail-in nibs anymore) but I'm wondering if there are more. I'd like to shop around a bit if possible.

Is there a listing somewhere that I'm not seeing? If not, does anyone have any recommendations?

"I have nixed all Noodler's inks in large part because of their feel, but also their behavior, etc. When I put Iroshizuku or Sailor ink into my pens, it's like the ink, pen, and paper are having a 3-some with smooth 'n sultry 70's jazz playing in the background." ~ Betweenthelines

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Garageboy

• pen2paper

• jar

• Aetheric Continua

the big guys in america

Pendleton Brown

Mike Masuyama

John Mottishaw

EU

John Sorowka-Britain

Japan

Nagahara Yukio (his father Nobuyoshi has retired)

Katsuhiko Kubo - (Nakaya Pen store no not that Nakaya pens which is a sister of Platinum) does tuning only

Moriyama Nobuhiko

your Lamy 2000 F isnt unnsual I think if you have a local pen posse who knows how to deal with gold nibs he or she can open up the tines no problem thats how I got mine to work without sending pens in and waiting for months for now I just suggest using Sailor Kiwa-guro ink for now... until you can meet up with your local pen folks

Edited by Algester

I'm curious as to what defines a Nibmeister? Are there different types of Nibmeisters? Is there a guild?

Can you call yourself one or is this a title conferred upon an individual by a committee?

I really am curious about this. I can actually think of at least one person that is commonly called a Nibmeister and when asked, he claims such to be untrue.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Some people just prefer a different term than the combination of an English and a German term. OTOH, Nib master or Federmeister just don't have the same ring to it :).

I certainly do know a person who prefers the term "calligraphic nib enhancer" :). And personally, I prefer just "nib enhancer" :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

AC- since you are in Raleigh, NC, check out Deb Kinney. She is in Durham, and is employed at Duke U. Just contact the Triangle Pen Club in Durham (link is in Jar's post), and you can get in touch with Deb. Deb does excellent work, and she has fixed up a Lamy 2000 belonging to a friend who is a writer.

And AC- I contacted Deb on Facebook, she is a FB friend. Her email is: debkinney(AT)alumni.duke.edu

She said to contact her and she can help adjust you Lamy 2000 fp for you.

Edited by Wolverine1

AC- since you are in Raleigh, NC, check out Deb Kinney. She is in Durham, and is employed at Duke U. Just contact the Triangle Pen Club in Durham (link is in Jar's post), and you can get in touch with Deb. Deb does excellent work, and she has fixed up a Lamy 2000 belonging to a friend who is a writer.

How could I forget to mention Deb?

Mea Culpa.

My Website

The ironic thing is that there are no formal schools, no formal certifications for either nib mechanics or pen mechanics. The profession is considered to be obsolete, though the demand in the community may indicate otherwise.

I would think that the term "nib mechanic" would be a better term for the general description of someone who grinds, straightens, tunes nibs etc. with the term "nib meister" being reserved for someone who has been in business for quite some time with an extended track record of excellent work. There is a difference.

I prefer to refer to myself as a pen mechanic. Restorer though I may be, the term pen mechanic is I think an accurate description.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

This is a great topic. Anyone know of a nibmiester or mechanic in the Chicago area? Also, what's the protocol for bringing one's pen to a pen show and having a nib person work on it? Just show up with pen and stand in a line? Should the pen have ink in it or should it be emptied and flushed clean with water?

As a funny coincidence, as the moderator of the Nibs forum, I am currently making a Nib Workers thread. It will be up in the near future though it may take a while, as I want to check the information for each person before I include it. When it's ready, and I've run it by the board admin, I plan to make it visible and pin it.

So, any names that are included in this thread, that I don't already have, I'll include in the pinned index of nib workers.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation of Deb Kinney. She's done several nibs for me and they are all wonderful. There's nothing quite like being able to meet with your nibmeister so they can see how you hold your pen.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

This is a great topic. Anyone know of a nibmiester or mechanic in the Chicago area? Also, what's the protocol for bringing one's pen to a pen show and having a nib person work on it? Just show up with pen and stand in a line? Should the pen have ink in it or should it be emptied and flushed clean with water?

I asked a similar question in the Philly Pen Show thread, and was told: if you want nib work done, clean/flush the pen. The person working on your pen will have ink to test it with after the work is done.

As for protocol, there is a sign up list. When I went to Philly, only Richard Binder had a real "wait", and in that time I had one pen worked on by Tim Girdler with no wait.

I am not entirely sure on the etiquette for pen shows if you have more than one pen that you want to have worked on though. I think it is one pen per person if there is a wait, but someone more experienced with these matters should probably tell us all. :)

Edited by StrawberryJam

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

I tend to use the term "nib technician" for those who work on (grind or adjust) my nibs.

In one conversation with Mike Masuyama, he referred to himself as one of the "nib guys" :D

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

In British English, the suffix -meister is a bit feeble. There's a perfectly good English cognate, -master, so no compelling reason to switch to German in the middle of a word. More than that, it can sound a bit naff, the sort of word that appeals to people who found the Hofmeister For-Great-Lager-Follow-the-Bear adverts amusing back in the eighties. Indeed, I started hearing people add -meister to everything around this time, so to me it sounds as dated and insipid - like the lager itself - as exclaiming "Skills!" instead of the more usual British English "I say, old chap, what a stroke of luck!" ;)

a pinned list of of those with nib adjustment expertise, by location, and their special focus, is an excellent idea!

I do understand the oblique cringe at adding -meister to ones skill or expertise as in the US it's a slang term from about the late 1970's. Some may easily pass by the folksy old wording, but others have labored to exactingly define in great detail pen-world skills along with terminology and history, so top level expertise+meister might grind a bit.

Woah! I somehow didn't follow my own thread and didn't know so many wonderful replies had been posted! Thanks, everyone! :D

There's Rick Horne in Georgia, Rick Ross in Durham and also an active Fountain Pen club in the Triangle with an annual show.

Oh! I heard of the Triangle Pen Show, but I didn't know we actually had a pen club! Thank you much :)

And AC- I contacted Deb on Facebook, she is a FB friend. Her email is: debkinney(AT)alumni.duke.edu

She said to contact her and she can help adjust you Lamy 2000 fp for you.

Thanks so much :) I'll contact her today. I'm all about supporting local businesses so this (and possibly Rick Ross) is perfect.

"I have nixed all Noodler's inks in large part because of their feel, but also their behavior, etc. When I put Iroshizuku or Sailor ink into my pens, it's like the ink, pen, and paper are having a 3-some with smooth 'n sultry 70's jazz playing in the background." ~ Betweenthelines

Interesting thread and I'm glad Dale's working on a resource for all of us who need nib services now and then.

Meanwhile, I'd like to know if there's anyone who can work on Sheaffer inlaid nibs--I've heard these nibs require special skills.

The ironic thing is that there are no formal schools, no formal certifications for either nib mechanics or pen mechanics. The profession is considered to be obsolete, though the demand in the community may indicate otherwise.

I would think that the term "nib mechanic" would be a better term for the general description of someone who grinds, straightens, tunes nibs etc. with the term "nib meister" being reserved for someone who has been in business for quite some time with an extended track record of excellent work. There is a difference.

I prefer to refer to myself as a pen mechanic. Restorer though I may be, the term pen mechanic is I think an accurate description.

I wish there was a formal school or list of accepted practices- Perhaps there's documentation from Sheaffer/Parker?

A lot of amateur nib work I've seen is pretty much "grind a foot into a nib until you have a stub that writes well for you"

Lots of uneven tipping work (align before grinding, please), not that high of a polish- it may write okay, but it could be better and certainly doesn't look pretty

Interesting thread and I'm glad Dale's working on a resource for all of us who need nib services now and then.

Meanwhile, I'd like to know if there's anyone who can work on Sheaffer inlaid nibs--I've heard these nibs require special skills.

noticed your inquiry had no reply. I Think Pendemonium still has contact with a former Sheaffer company employee that does nib work? If this is so, perhaps their experience includes servicing inlaid nibs. If no one seconds this, or has other suggestions, you might contact Sam at Pendemonium for information.