Learning The Basics Of Fountain Pen Restoration

Alexcat

What's the opinion on a Parker 51 as a restoration project?

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• Glenn Atkins

• gweimer1

• nascentcowboy

I would start with the lever fill pens, and the Esterbrook is a perfect place to get comfortable with dismantling a pen and putting it back together in working order. One thing that makes Esterbrooks a perfect start is that you generally don't have to mess with the nib. It's a replaceable part in, and of, itself.

Parker 51s are great pens, but have a lot more variables. For starters - the body may be the same, but the engine can vary (Vacumatic or Aerometric). Depending on the model, you will also need to invest in more tools. Once you get into the hood of the Parker 51, you have more pieces that have to be fit together just right for a successful restoration. I don't find it difficult, but there's a lot more going on in there.

Get a few, or a lot, of Esterbrooks and other lever fill pens under your belt before advancing. I found out the hard (read - usual) way on that, and have a number of various types of pens in my repair box, filed under "future learning projects". I'm pulling back on some things in favor of refining what I already know. I would say that once you get lever fill repairs in order, learning to do a button fill might be a good second step.

Another skill you'll need is nib tuning. Before you invest in micromesh etc. or even start repairing a filling system you can learn a lot by adjusting scratchy nibs on cheap old pens. Tools needed - thumbnails and a 10x (some people say 15x or 20x) loupe. Learn the feel of a nib ('seeing with your fingers' as I-forget-who said) as you bend it (gently!) so that the tines are aligned, and if you're lucky and the tip doesn't need smoothing or reshaping you can enjoy the smooth feel of a well-adjusted nib you've restored yourself.

Also applicable to many new pens :(

Thank you Carl....that's really encouraging. I'm trying to get my paws on a starting project....preferably an Esterbrook. eBay is my friend ;)

Alexal

Alex,

In this case, Ebay is definitely your friend. I bought two lots of pens (three in one), (6 in the other) for this very purpose. I got two esterbrooks, three wearevers, and some assorted sheaffer cartridge pens. Each lot cost about $ 30.00 + shipping. Not too bad for pens to practice repairing. I felt that if I ruined one (really hope not) that I would not be out too much money.

The blessing is that one of the Esterbrooks did not need any repair at all. It has a functioning sac and filled up with no issues. I will put a new sac in it just so I know what I have.

Anyway, this is just to say that buying lots can be a great way to get into repair without a huge outlay of money.

carl

(1) The best book is "Fountain Pen Repair", by Jim Marshall and Lawrence Oldfield. The third edition -- the current one -- is $60 at New York's Fountain Pen Hospital. You should find it at a store in the UK...it is written and printed over on your side of the Atlantic.

+1.

You can by it from Peter Twydle (famous repair man): http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/books.htm (scroll down, it's at the buttom of the page).

Got the Marshall Olfield book for Christmas, what a great publication, chock a block full of information you can use. Got mine from Dr Oldfield direct, very prompt postage and he inscribed it for me.

Well worth your while getting a copy. (No affiliation)

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I think a loupe is one of the first things to purchase, unless you have exceptional eyesight. It's needed to determine the condition of the nib, and to examine for splits or cracks on the barrel and section. The Belomo 10x is a good recommendation. Good luck and have fun!