The School-Casual Writer's Conundrum

TheGiver1

Hello all,

I go to school and probably like most of you here, i find writing with a regular pen mundane and boring. I've been thinking about getting a fountain pen for every day use. This is not my area of expertise by any stretch of the imagination so I figured this would be the best place to start looking for a good every day fountain pen. Also, if this means anything I'm a lefty, so something that will dry relatively quickly would be good. I know that's a little tough to ask but if that is not possible than that's still okay. Thank you all for your help.

The Giver

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheGiver1

• PAKMAN

• parnesh

• bhthib3381

Oh yes, Another thing. i looked into a few. the Pilot vanishing point looks very nice. I'm not too interested in the beauty of the pen as i am the beauty of the writing.

Pilot Metropolitan. Cheap, awesome and a great variety of nibs (if you are happy to spend a bit more and swap from a 78G or penmenship). Buy two and it will easily last you a day of writing.

Further up, there is the VP and the Lamy 2000.

Edit: I would also add that perhaps a snap cap system is better for school and taking notes then a twist one.

Edited by parnesh

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome, Giver !

I have learned a little of left-handed writers here, at FPN. Which technique do you use in

writing ? Do you hook your wrist, and write from above the line ? Do you turn the paper

to put to to the right and bottom to the left, and write sentences toward your body ?

The solution won't be the pen. The solution will be absorbent paper, faster drying ink, and

keeping the heel of your hand out of the ink. Sorry, but there is no left-handed pen.

I am just a meddlesome right-hander. Smarter members are on the way.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

For school, my primary criteria for a pen is cost for 3 reasons; damage, loss and theft.

Getting that out of the way, there are a LOT of good low cost fountain pens. Here are some of them separated by Asian and Western pens. In general, an Asian nib will be finer than a Western nib of the same letter size. Example a Pilot M nib is about the same as a Lamy F nib.

Asian pens:

• Pilot Metropolitan; F and M nib, about $15
  • Pilot 78G; F,M,B nibs, about $15-25 depending on seller and preparation of the pen
  • Baoer 801; F,M nibs

Western pens:

• Lamy Safari or Al Star; XF,F,M,B nbis, about $30 for the Safari, $35 for Al Star + $7 for the converter, interchangable nibs ($15ea)
  • Parker IM; M nib, about $20-25 street price
  • Waterman Kultur; F,M nib, about $20-40

Used (these old pens have a finer nib than todays Western pens):

• Parker 45 (cartridge)
  • Parker 21 super (bottle loading only)
  • Parker 51 special (bottle loading only) this is the most expensive pen and will require hunting to get one at a low cost.
  • Sheaffer 330 (cartridge)

There are others, but I am not aware of them or can't think of them right now.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hi, and welcome to FPN

If you have never written with a fountainpen I would not advise a very expensive pen. Would be a shame if you just decide you don't like a fountainpen after trying...

Try a Pilot Metropolitan. They are nice pens and not very expensive.

Or a Lamy Safari.

The Pilot VP is an interesting pen, but many people don't like the placing of the clip in relation to their finger placement.

Anyway, enjoy the forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~