Jinhao 156 - Stainless Steel Finish

mehandiratta

PEN REVIEW - JINHAO 156

This review is probably late for a a pen which i procured 3 months back.

I bought this pen the moment i took a look at it. It looks fabulous as you can see from the image below. Its a beautiful looking shiny silver chrome plated metal pen with a slim and slender profile.

5.jpg?w=660

Design :
The pen is quite sleek which is rounded at the bottom and the cap is fitted with metal clip which is finished in the matte silver finish. The pen comes in two finished stainless steel finish and black shiny finish. The grip section is finished in the matte sliver finish with the rings engraved.

8.jpg?w=660&h=948

The pen operates via a converter filling mechanism which is sub standard in quality.

1.jpg?w=660

The center-band (bottom of the cap) is finished in matte silver finish which displays the name of the brand and pen.

6.jpg?w=660

The cap comes with the good spring clip and inner cap lining which is made out of cheep plastic and came out once or twice which then i had to glue to the cap.

2.jpg?w=660

The silver stainless steel finish is easily prone to smudges but still looks amazing. The balance of pen is not that well when we post the cap, however it feels very amazing when writing without the cap. Fits my small hands perfectly. It will be good for people with small hands and actually lot of ladies will like the pen for size and looks.

4.jpg?w=660

JInhao 156 – Broken Down

Nib:

The nib is steel M, marked 18 KGP comes with beautiful carving. Its monotone silver finish. The nib however is a disappointment when it comes to writing.

3.jpg?w=672&h=335

7.jpg?w=660&h=486

It did not glide through like my other Jinhao pens, rather i had to apply some pressure to write. Even after some fine tuning i was not happy with the performance of a nib. Feed is made of the plastic.

Pros:

1. Great Stainless Steel Finish
  2. Sleek and Slender
  3. Low Cost

Cons:

1. Poor inner lining plastic cap
  2. Bad Nib
  3. Cheap quality converter

Below is my hand written review in detail for further reference.

new-doc-1_1.jpg?w=660&h=949

new-doc-1_2.jpg?w=660&h=975

Bottom line:

I will not recommend buying it.

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• 4lex

• Gourish

• rishminder

I bought the same pen some days ago on eBay and the nib on it is smooth.. Like other jinhao pens I have

Edited by rishminder

I bought the same pen some days ago on eBay and the nib on it is smooth.. Like other jinhao pens I have

I am pretty much with all the Jinhao pens i have but particularly not this one.....

Its a hard stiff nib and sometimes i have to apply pressure on the nib ....

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 2 weeks later...

@mehendiratta This jinhao model 156 comes in various permutations and combinations of matt,glossy silver,gold & black. I really fell for this model and have bought nearly all combinations. As is normal with Chinese manufacturing no two pens write the same, still if you are a serious collector of Chinese pens particularly these are hard to let go by.

As most jinhao models are a one time run in Indian market I'd suggest to buy them at first notice if you need to as they may not be seen as easily later when stocks empty out.

Edited by Gourish

This is one good looking pen! Unfortunately with my luck the nib will probably be a bad one and chew on my hard to get paper.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 5 months later...

I agree with you on the cheap white plastic inner cap and cheap converter. But my experience of Jinhao Quality Control is on average better then with Delta pens, and that is impressive considering the price difference. What I would add is that it is worth while buying their "higher" price pens which are still very very cheap but overall very good.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

I agree with you on the cheap white plastic inner cap and cheap converter. But my experience of Jinhao Quality Control is on average better then with Delta pens, and that is impressive considering the price difference. What I would add is that it is worth while buying their "higher" price pens which are still very very cheap but overall very good.

I like thier pens with screw in cap mechanism.. Like Jinhao 886 and Jinhao 159.. Lovely

vaibhav mehandiratta

I like thier pens with screw in cap mechanism.. Like Jinhao 886 and Jinhao 159.. Lovely

I never tried 886. Does the plastic feel cheap? I like 159 too.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

I never tried 886. Does the plastic feel cheap? I like 159 too.

886 is one amazing pen... its the metal pen ...

check the review here.... LINK LINK2

img_20150226_0944042.jpg?w=768

vaibhav mehandiratta

886 is one amazing pen... its the metal pen ...

check the review here.... LINK LINK2

img_20150226_0944042.jpg?w=768

Wow thanks, that is one good review. I think I will get one. Do you have any experience of Jinhao with ceramic barrel?

Wow thanks, that is one good review. I think I will get one. Do you have any experience of Jinhao with ceramic barrel?

Getting one soon

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 1 year later...

is the Jinhao 156 pens nib removable?. i want to replace mine with some better nib as i love the body of the pen but hate the nib. what size nib can it take? the original nib seem smaller then number 6 so i am guessing it n.o 4 or 5 size maybe??

I have a few 886's and I like the style a lot. Unfortunately, I have dry-out and hard-start issues with all of them. As an experiment, on one pen I put clear nail polish around the base of the clip where it attaches to the cap, which seemed to help a bit, though it didn't completely solve the problem. I may dig them out for another try. Really nice looking pens.