Esterbrook 9450 Extra-Fine Nib Tines

aandrews

I'm comtemplating buying an Esterbrook 9450 extra-fine nib on Ebay, but the listing photo has me puzzled. It's a good pic (see below) of the nib, seemingly showing the slit to not be centered between the two tines, leaving one tine (on the left) extremely skinny. Is that normal?? The nib is described as new (old stock).

PS Reading over my post, instead of extremely skinny I should say that it seems to terminate to an extremely sharp point, which strikes me as not conducive to smooth writing. One would wonder (well, I would!) if it wouldn't tear the paper.

post-104928-0-99299000-1421293901_thumb.jpg

Edited by aandrews

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Biber

• aandrews

• tmenyc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Your observation and conclusion seem correct: it is not normal, nor is it desirable.

I suggest searching for another 9450.

My 9450 is affectionately known as 'The Steel Driver'.

Down-stroke line width is 'A':

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Visconti%20Purple/ac5993a7.jpg

Visconti Purple on 24lb laser copy/print

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

You do realize that the box indicates 9450 EXTRA FIRM, not FINE, don't you? There is a difference.

That could be an optical illusion. I've had nibs that looked uneven like that from certain angles but were in actuality just fine.

Edited by Biber

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

"You do realize...."

Actually (supposedly), it's both: extra-fine and firm. I tend to bear down rather hard and I'm looking for a nib like my 9461 Fine Manifold, which is "rigid", only EF.

Edited by aandrews

I wouldn't trust that list, it has been wrong before. I'd advise relying on Easterbrook's own published ads (easily found through internet image searches) as well as original packaging. Regardless though, you'll never really know until you write with the actual nib.

Edited by Biber

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

extra firm AND extra fine is correct -- it was designed for posting numbers in ledgers, very small numbers fitting into confined spaces.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

"You do realize...."

Actually (supposedly), it's both: extra-fine and firm. I tend to bear down rather hard and I'm looking for a nib like my 9461 Fine Manifold, which is "rigid", only EF.

Hi,

You're on the right course.

In the manner of the Manifold nibs, the 9450 is of heavier gauge steel than the 9550 'Firm Extra Fine'.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

You're on the right course.

In the manner of the Manifold nibs, the 9450 is of heavier gauge steel than the 9550 'Firm Extra Fine'.

Bye,

S1

Eureka!! Finaly an explanation for how they achieved the different qualities of stiffnes etc. What's your source on this information? I don't doubt you, I just want to learn more about their use of diferent gauge steel for nibs. I've never run across this before (not that I've actively looked for it mind you).

Eureka!! Finaly an explanation for how they achieved the different qualities of stiffnes etc. What's your source on this information? I don't doubt you, I just want to learn more about their use of diferent gauge steel for nibs. I've never run across this before (not that I've actively looked for it mind you).

Hi,

I wondered that myself, so when The Steel Driver arrived, I compared it with the 9550.

No apparent naked-eye difference in metallurgy or geometry - just the gauge of steel.

One thing about such rigid nibs is that should the tines need alignment, one must use a firm steady hand.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

I've tried using one on old ledger paper, writing old fashioned debits and credits. I'm a broad nib/wet ink guy, 9668 and 9968 nibs are more my line. It was really interesting to see how the small numbers fit perfectly into the columns.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Hard to tell from the photo, but it appears to me that the tipping is gone from the skinny-looking tine. I would pass on this one.

ron

Hi,

Comparo of the gauge of steel used in 9450 Extra-Firm Posting and the 9550 Posting nibs:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%202015/DSCN7199-EstieManifold.jpg

Bye,

S1

__ __

Edit to add, hence round-out comparison:

9550 down-stroke line width is 'A':

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Syrah/9fd045d2.jpg

Diamine Syrah on 24lb laser copy/print.

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

Comparo of the gauge of steel used in 9450 and the 9550 nibs:

[foto deleted by respondant in interest of space]

Bye,

S1

Wow! Thanks for that. I can only wonder about Esty's use of other gauges as well. I'll have to go home and look at all my Esty nibs.

Wow! Thanks for that. I can only wonder about Esty's use of other gauges as well. I'll have to go home and look at all my Esty nibs.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I would be interested to see a comparison of the flex-ish Estie nibs to their standard nibs...

Bye,

S1