Why WOULDN'T you buy a VP?

Shannon

QUOTE (rroossinck @ Mar 25 2007, 12:00 PM)
Apollo, welcome back! Haven't seen you in these parts for quite a while.

I wanted to address a comment that PinarelloOnly made a few thoughts up. I've got an identical setup to his, aside from the broad nib (which I had, but traded away). I use mine with a fine point for daily writing.

I'm also a lefty, and I don't find that the clip placement is intrusive. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the clip seems to support (force?) a triangular-shaped grip, albeit without using the triangular section that the Lamy Safari does.

I find the Vanishing Point to be quite comfortable, and I'm really glad that I had coffee with Ryan Long the day that I did back in early December and was able to doodle with his carbonesque blue for a few minutes. Since then I've bought one for me, and another for my wife!

*Edited to include final thought...

My advice would be to give it a try. You'll be able to find one used here on the Marketplace (they show up every week), and be able to pick it up for a pretty good price. Use it. If you like it, keep it. If not, put it back up on the Marketplace and it'll sell within a day or two. You won't have to take much of a hit on it, either.

It's too bad that the pen was not designed with a rotating clip. That way it could be positioned optimally by each user.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shannon

• rroossinck

• jonro

• Srehman

Sorry Gals and Guys but I just can't get past the "ballpoint" aspect of the pen. I've tried but just can't.

Srehman - Nice signature. wink.gif

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

I have become obsessed with the VP. I started with a nice Mustard Yellow, added the Raden, wanted to try the older models, so picked up a faceted Burgundy, and just this week added the Black Stealth.

For me and what I do at work, they are the perfect pen. The way I hold my pens, I don't even notice the clip. And for the people who think they are too heavy, try and earlier models. They are lightweight, and the clip isn't as large.

Yes, the converters don't hold all that much ink, that is why I refill cartridges, and have yet to run out while working.

I have 4 Med nibs and a Broad. For me the Med are great, as they all tend to write a bit finer which suits my style. I do plan on getting a Binder Cursive Italic to be able to swap amongst the pens.

My ONLY problem is deciding which one to use. Should I take the yellow today, no, lets do the Burgundy, wait, the Raden is calling out to me. OK, the Black Stealth wins today, but who knows about tomorrow.

Extremely happy multiple VP owner.

happycloud9.gif

Bob

I found the one handed operation of the pen a very attractive feature.

The issue for me is that the nib is not attached to the pen body, and the feedback you get from the nib is different than from a conventional FP.

QUOTE (EventHorizon @ Mar 25 2007, 09:36 AM)
Sorry Gals and Guys but I just can't get past the "ballpoint" aspect of the pen. I've tried but just can't.

Srehman - Nice signature. wink.gif

OTOH, the "ballpoint aspect" is what drew me in. It suits my rapid, intermittent jotting at work, without having to cap/uncap the pen.

And, ditto. Asimov rocks.

"The person who takes the banal and ordinary and illuminates it in a new way can terrify. We do not want our ideas changed. We feel threatened by such demands. 'I already know the important things!' we say. Then Changer comes and throws our old ideas away."

--Frank Herbert; Chapterhouse: Dune

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Some people say they have problems with the clip position.

I do not - except when used with an italic nib that is much more specific as to how you hold the pen - and yes, you guessed it, to write with the italic in a smooth nonscratchy way requires my fingers to be on the damned clip.

But with that caveat, you should have no problems with a normal nib and the VP is a handy daily user at the office - no removing and posting (or putting down and losing) a cap - just as convenient as any BP to use but much more pleasurable, being a FP.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I just answered this same question somewhere else on FPN.

Not once have I considered the clip on my VP to be an issue, not even a little bit. And my VP is my 2nd favorite everyday pen, with a custom italic nib.

The clip if anything makes for a more consistent grip.

But, if you have the chance to "test drive" a FP before purchase, you should.

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

I just read the entire thread. As I read, I could relate to the consternation of folks who either grappled with finding something untoward to say about the pen or flat couldn't.

The most mentioned issue seems to be the clip placement, which for some is a boon and for others is a bugaboo. The ink capacity is solved with the cartridge, in my opinion (something I mentioned somewhere in the multitude of VP threads).

Then it hit me...I would not by another VP if:

• Peg still had me on pen purchase restriction
  • I couldn't find the model I really wanted
  • I didn't have the disposable income at that moment.

Those are the only reasons...

Bill

Edited by paircon01

QUOTE (paircon01 @ Mar 25 2007, 04:03 PM)
I just read the entire thread. As I read, I could relate to the consternation of folks who either grappled with finding something untoward to say about the pen or flat couldn't.

Well, folks, no one talked me out of my purchase. If anything, just the opposite happened. I'll be ordering my pen from Pam Braun tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful help!

--Shannon

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

I was helping to mark routes with a GPS. I need to make notes and had only a fountain pen with me. With hands on the wheels, stopping, removing the cap, writing notes and recapping, my hands soon became an inky mess. Should have brought my VP with me. I prefer the Decimo. The clip does not get in the way too much. Another advantage with VP is you can buy customize nibs together with converters. The nibs are capped with cut acquarium air hose that are airtight. Imagine the benefits of simply switching to any refills or nibs you fancy for that day.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I liked the VP so much when I first got it that I forced myself to learn to use the tripod grip (for all the years previous I used a four finger grip). After working for a few weeks with the VP, and getting over the fear that my pen was about to fall out of my hand at any moment ohmy.gif I finally began to naturally hold the pen correctly. The positive side effect of this is I began to hold all my pens correctly, and this has made writing all the more pleasurable to me.

If pressed, my one gripe would be that the VP is a bit heavy. But I own plenty of pens that are "a bit heavy" and love them all the same. Weight is not a deal breaker for me.

happiness isn't caused

Tank, what's the diameter of the airhose? I've been trying to put a nib storage solution together, and have come up somewhat blank on it. This sounds like a great idea, and I know that from my old reefkeeping days, I've got some tubing laying around.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

QUOTE (Shannon @ Mar 25 2007, 10:16 AM)
I just read the entire thread.  As I read, I could relate to the consternation of folks who either grappled with finding something untoward to say about the pen or flat couldn't. 

Well, folks, no one talked me out of my purchase. If anything, just the opposite happened. I'll be ordering my pen from Pam Braun tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful help!

--Shannon

Good for you. smile.gif

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

The issue for me is that the nib is not attached to the pen body, and the feedback you get from the nib is different than from a conventional FP.

That's what I did not like about the VP. There was a "mushyness" to it that was not a result of the nibs contact with the paper, but of the mechanism of how the nib was held. It gave and slipped just the tiniest bit when the nib hit the paper, and I did not like that. Sold mine to some lucky FPNer a couple of years ago.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

QUOTE (rroossinck @ Mar 26 2007, 02:36 PM)
Tank, what's the diameter of the airhose? I've been trying to put a nib storage solution together, and have come up somewhat blank on it. This sounds like a great idea, and I know that from my old reefkeeping days, I've got some tubing laying around.

Sorry. My mistake. I thought it was from a airhose when I got mine from Richard Binder. I tried one from my aquarium but it wouldn't fit as it is too small.

James

Tank, what's the diameter of the airhose?

The most mentioned issue seems to be the clip placement, which for some is a boon and for others is a bugaboo. The ink capacity is solved with the cartridge, in my opinion (something I mentioned somewhere in the multitude of VP threads).

I'm not sure which thread you mentioned it in, but it's useful enough to bear repeating again. As I remember: you said that unlike the CC the cartridge for the VP is huge, and that the way to get a good few days writing out of a VP is to syringe fill the cartridges with the ink of your choice.

Very useful - the VP is notorious for the small CC but no one had told me the cartridges weren't similarly undersized. I might put a Carbon or a Raiden back on my possibles list.

- Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (Shannon @ Mar 24 2007, 04:52 PM)
I'm trying to make the decision to buy a Namiki VP. Everything I've read about them is very positive. I'm trying to weigh my options--so tell me, why WOULDN'T I buy this pen?

Thanks for all of the unbiased feedback.

--Shannon

I am not terribly familiar with the ins and outs of fountain pens, as I've only been using them for about a year, but shortly after I got interested in them, I found a terrific deal on a Namiki VP, fine point, on craigslist...new, it was $40.

Anyway, I love the pen's styling, and the clip/grip issue isn't really a problem for me.

The two complaints I do have are:

1) Ink capacity. I know this is well-documented, so I won't detail too much, but I use the piston filler, and even with my very moderate usage, I find myself filling it much more often that I expected. A minor issue, though, and like I said before, I don't have much case for comparison with other fountain pens.

2) It sometimes writes a little scratchy. I think this has more to do with the ink flow being low, as it's smooth as can be the first day or so after I refill it.

Overall I love the pen, and for the price, who wouldn't! Now if I can just get the gumption to fork over the cash for the MYU!

I really like my VP, but aside from a small ink capacity, it's impossible to see the ink level when you're using the converter and you have to disassemble the pen to see the level when using a cartridge. That is a genuine negative.

You should not buy them because:

- some thicker models have bad chosen colours and are really ugly

- if you hold it clip-up, as a custom, the nib can enter your thumb

- the converter for filling is horrible

Otherwise I have 3 VP's in my collection and the Fermo is on order...

So the advantages are winning in the end.

But I do see an improvement for the maker:

They should take the idea of Lamy Rollers where the clip 'sinks' into the pen while in use.

See www.lamy.de choose English goto My Lamy and choose under products Roller Pens. There is an animation.

The Legend

Keep writing.

Keep doing it and doing it.

Even in the moments when it's so hurtful to think about writing.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/hruud/TheLegendSignatureFPNPR_UB.jpg