Another Vp/capless Question

Tom Traubert

Hi all. Me again. Had my Capless for a couple of days now and I've got a question about its appearance.

The body is a dark yellow, stainless steel trim but the nib is gold. Is this combination normal? Also, the nib doesn't mention 18k anywhere, just Pilot <M> which looks legit and the number 612.

I'm sure everything's kosher because it writes like a dream, just wanted to check.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Traubert

• Wolverine1

• PAKMAN

• ehemem

Mine has:

Pilot

18K750

<EF>

on the nib.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Quick bit of research leads me to realise that ehemem is right. It was advertised as such and I got over excited about a Capless for <£100.

But, it's a great nib anyway. On the fine side of medium so very good for marking students' work. Plus I love the dark yellow body.

Hi Tom,

The classifieds are an option if you fancy trying out a gold nib...it does bring you quite a bit closer to the RRP, but you've always got a "spare" in that case, too :)

Europe EF:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/30759-for-sale-or-trade-pilot-vp-ef-nib-in-europe/

US based F:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/31503-pilot-vanish-point-nib-unit-medium/

Of course, if you're happy with what you've got, there's not necessarily any need to spend the extra!

OP, you probably have the "special alloy" nib that is sold (I think) only in Japan. If you like the way it performs, you really are missing nothing by having steel instead of gold.

OP, you probably have the "special alloy" nib that is sold (I think) only in Japan. If you like the way it performs, you really are missing nothing by having steel instead of gold.

Having gone back to the listing, you're absolutely right. The same seller advertises other pens with the 18k nib, so it's all above board. The 18k pens are also about £20 more expensive, which makes sense.

I think I just went OMG! Capless! £43! And then didn't read anything else.

I may buy a gold nib unit one day. Or not - this one's a nice nib.

A 14K or 18K nib is nice, but it isn't necessary to have a gold nib for the pen to write very well. A gold nib will last longer, but a non-gold nib can be very good, depending on the alloy used. For instance, I've never seen a Sheaffer Palladium silver nib corroded through, and some "special alloy" nibs have held up just as well. The important thing is the tipping material.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.