A Demonstrator Piston Hero 100? ... Yes Sir

TimTheZaj

This is the marvel I came upon while browsing the taobao. A demonstrator piston hero 100? I had never heard of such a thing, and being a huge hero 100 fan as some may know, I ordered one right away!

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?scm=1007.10009.3949.i36395397372&id=35632094233&pvid=674a6e60-1331-47c3-88b0-4725267fc3f4

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• TimTheZaj

• Jorge

• Seele

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What? Wow! What's in this coffee, is this for real?

Something very, very peculiar seems to be going on. Gorgeous piston fill smoke Hero 616 with a metal clutch ring? What's this, a demo GoldenStar alike piston filler? A wooden 616 barrel!! Some sort of Pilotesque piston filler?

MANY thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Very interesting, especially the Pilot-like one.

Anyone order from them before?

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

I have ordered from Taobao China to UK before, using a purchasing agent called MisterTao. They were great - they even sent a photo of the pen before they sent it on - and everything went without incident.

This is all so strange... wasn't there a guy selling selling some sort of Lamy2000 demonstrator / clone (with piston) a while back? Is he branching out?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Something very, very peculiar seems to be going on. Gorgeous piston fill smoke Hero 616 with a metal clutch ring? What's this, a demo GoldenStar alike piston filler? A wooden 616 barrel!! Some sort of Pilotesque piston filler?

O noz...I HAD to look, didn't I.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Does anyone know the dimensions of a standard "Venus 26"? I'm tempted.

[edit - by the blue demo piston filler, that is. Assuming it uses the same profile].

Edited by Flounder

I just had look at the fine print, it says what's offered are two parts only, the barrel (with incorporated piston assembly) and section hood, the purchaser has to supply everything else for self-assembly.

"Venus" is a machine translation of "Golden Star". In the Chinese tradition the first five planets other than Earth are named after the five elements: Mercury is Water, Venus is Metal (which in the Chinese language is "the category that includes gold"), Mars is Fire, Jupiter is Wood, Saturn is Earth. That is why the brand "Golden Star" is often translated as "Venus". The pictures for this item are watermarked "Handmade by Jiarong".

Hope this is of some help.

Edited by Seele

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Oh really? I thought it came as a full pen, :(, doesn't really matter as I have quite a few spare 100s laying around...

I just had look at the fine print, it says what's offered are two parts only, the barrel (with incorporated piston assembly) and section hood, the purchaser has to supply everything else for self-assembly.

"Venus" is a machine translation of "Golden Star". In the Chinese tradition the first five planets other than Earth are named after the five elements: Mercury is Water, Venus is Metal (which in the Chinese language is "the category that includes gold"), Mars is Fire, Jupiter is Wood, Saturn is Earth. That is why the brand "Golden Star" is often translated as "Venus". The pictures for this item are watermarked "Handmade by Jiarong".

Hope this is of some help.

Oooo....like the original Sailor Senshi, lol.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Oh really? I thought it came as a full pen, :(, doesn't really matter as I have quite a few spare 100s laying around...

I remember coming across Taobao dealers selling Hero 100 parts, so you might just pick them up without having to butcher yours.

I hadn't thought of doing that instead of, well rendering one useless. I might just order one on the cheap from taobao since I already have "all" of the equipment to take one apart instead of placing several orders with the taobao agent. Or depending on the price, I might just order a few spare parts and order another piston filler body. Especially that that last option enables me to customize the pens even more, using the cool gold cap from the 90s.

Thanks a lot seele

They even have pelikans and montblanc 149s!

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-4315603864.23.SSt676&id=41747295971

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-4315603864.23.XbGFbz&id=39096411143

Edited by TimTheZaj

I hadn't thought of doing that instead of, well rendering one useless. I might just order one on the cheap from taobao since I already have "all" of the equipment to take one apart instead of placing several orders with the taobao agent. Or depending on the price, I might just order a few spare parts and order another piston filler body. Especially that that last option enables me to customize the pens even more, using the cool gold cap from the 90s.

Thanks a lot seele

For the record there are plenty of vendors of 100 parts: I cannot stand by these vendors but these listings turned up as I searched. Of course you also need a tool for disassemble and reassemble the 100, which is well-known enough.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9150109748

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3063302318

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=41960793341

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=18317499784

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=41480998452

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7962257773

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=19474306691

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=39596866160

Seele, that's very interesting about the Venus/Golden Star etymology. I'm glad you're on this board to tell us what's what!

I had noticed the garbled google trans self-supply note in the Hero 100 listing ("Note that only a pen and pen holder, pen cap in the picture with their own needs and capillary") but couldn't find a similar reference in the Pilot-style Venus/Goldenstar. Is that one a complete pen? Or this odd Parker style flat top thing?

Flounder, in your original Hero 100 parts listing, the notice in red says:

"Please be advised that this only includes the barrel and section hood, the cap, nib and collector as seen in the pictures must be supplied by the purchaser."

While the custom Golden Star 26 listing does not say it's a complete pen or merely the replacement parts, I also noticed some other listings are quite vague too. But to be practical, the original 26 parts required for this build are still plentiful, what's needed would merely be the feed, nib, tassie ferrule and clip, so either way it would not be a costly exercise for the builder to offer as complete pens. Still, better to check first, as these models were originally built as button fillers, the last incarnation as bulb fillers sort of watered down the full experience somewhat.

The Parkeresque pen listing does not even mention it's not a Parker, the illustrated nib unit is by SIPF (AKA Guiguan) so that should be as dependable as they come, While the additional parts needed for the complete build are inexpensive and plentiful - unless the Hero 100 nib - the illustrations mostly show the pen without nib unit, and whether it's a complete pen or not is never mentioned. The feedback reports, however, did not mention that either.

So, Ive purchased a plain cap for the regular demonstrator along with 3 nibs and three collectors as I will, depending on the outcome of the demonstrator buy the blue and add a 90s gold cap. The last last set of nib and collector will be put onto a 80-90s grey blue body with standard clip, which is the rarest plain plastic color, along with the section, fastener, sac and sac protector. ill try and post photos when I get them once I figure out how to build them. Hey seele do you know if there are any button filler Golden Star 26 or 28s out in the wild? I'd like to get one if they aren't outrageous as I love the vintage 12k nib on my modern 26.

So, Ive purchased a plain cap for the regular demonstrator along with 3 nibs and three collectors as I will, depending on the outcome of the demonstrator buy the blue and add a 90s gold cap. The last last set of nib and collector will be put onto a 80-90s grey blue body with standard clip, which is the rarest plain plastic color, along with the section, fastener, sac and sac protector. ill try and post photos when I get them once I figure out how to build them. Hey seele do you know if there are any button filler Golden Star 26 or 28s out in the wild? I'd like to get one if they aren't outrageous as I love the vintage 12k nib on my modern 26.

Hi Tim,

I hope you have ordered all the right parts for your builds; there are videos floating around online - probably on pages offering the special tool for dismantling and assembling the 100 - giving detailed information on how to do it; some screw threads, I understand, are left-handed to render assembly possible.

Button-filler Type 28 and 26 examples by any manufacturer can be a bit hard to find, they do turn up but tend to be offered by private sellers, so it would be tough to get it outside the country. Also, they tend to be really messed up, I have never come across a single example where the filling mechanism is complete, let alone functional. And the ebonite/celluloid parts can indeed distort as well. I do believe the switch to unjection moulded thermoplastics, while a viable method to make them in large qantities at tight tolerances, is a bit of a let-down as it takes away the weight and balance offered by the original.

Tim, could you give me a rough idea of the 26's dimensions uncapped, and the length of the section? I'm pretty keen on the blue demo, if it is a bigger pen than the Pilot Custom Heritage 92.