When Your Ink Test Notebook Is Full...

TeaHive

....turn it into an art journal!

I managed to fill up my Clairefontaine notebook with ink and nib tests in a very short period of time. Oops. I just can't help it--I get excited by ink. I hate to just toss it into the recycle bin, feeling I didn't do too much with it, but also no longer needing the information. So I thought of it as a little art-seed...

added water.. (not the same page as above)

..and it is blossoming journal of backgrounds!

Some inks are more permanent than others.

Adding splashes of Stormy Grey is encouraged.

Some areas that didn't bleed out all the way will be covered in other applications. Gesso, clippings, photos, more ink splashes, what have you. I'm pretty excited to see how the whole book turns out! I only have about 3/4 of the pages left to alter. :P

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeaHive

• amberleadavis

• Anne-Sophie

• brunico

What fun!! I used to do something like this when I couldn't bring myself to start a new journal or notebook. ('blank page syndrome') A little watercolor or ink on the page and I was free.

I like it. And the Sakura set it the background. Interesting, you may find some pages that lend themselves/inspire further adaptation to become "recognizable" art, like finding the underlying form of a horse in a field or some such thing then expanding on it. Flowers, obviously, might work.

Do you think you might be grabbing some waterproof inks, or another sort of pens, Microns or something, and start it over as a written journal? Or use them as backgrounds for cheesy refrigerator poster sayings?

Anyway, great idea and good recycling of cool stuff.

Thanks, all! It's kind of relaxing to wash over everything with water and see how the colors drip and mesh. And quite fun to take a full fountain pen, and shake some drops down into the wet areas. It's almost like meditation, but much more vibrant! Ah, ink blossoms..

I imagine some of the pages will get turned into drawings or paintings with more form. Some will be abstract. Some will be patterns (think zentangles), some mixed media/collage typed stuff. I guess it all depends on what I see in the background and what I feel like turning the page into when I come across it. And I have all kinds of supplies to use--watercolor, gouache, acrylic, fountain and dip inks, charcoal, graphite and colored pencils, pastels, coffee/tea, unwanted eyeliners and shadows, gesso, wax.. Anything goes!

I probably won't use it JUST to write in, as in whole paragraphs or pages. Writing will likely be involved in some pieces, but as snippets or notes. But who knows. I'm pretty carefree about it. And if a page doesn't turn out how I like it, I'll just cover it up with more ink or paint!

• 1 month later...

I love it!

Now, write on it again. Every ink you use will sheen. Doodle some flowers.

Then, put it in the window, the fades are amazing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

What a coincidence that I started working on this book again today, and now someone bumps the thread up. xD

Oooh, fading. I didn't think of purposely setting it out to fade, but now I'll have to add that into one of the planned projects.

I find myself saying this for the second time on a post of yours today: Holy (bleep) that is gorgeous! Every time I sneak a peek at your journals I get stupendously jealous of the handwriting and all those beautiful colors! :puddle:

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Nothing worth sharing, really. Just washing out more backgrounds, adding splashes and sprays of watercolor.. I haven't had any of the pages really pop out at me yet and scream, "Complete me!"

• 1 month later...

Really nice idea!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Are we going to get to see the finished product soon? :wub:

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

I have washed out a few more backgrounds and added some spots of watercolor. Only one "finished" page, and that's open to interpretation. xD Lemme go take some pictures!