Wood Machinist's Chest: Costco (Usa)

bogiesan

It's a nice looking box and I was just there yesterday. I will see if they have it in-stock now by NYC.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Recoil Rob

• EclecticCollector

• bogiesan

• Tasmith

If you don't want to drive to Newington, VA (or can't) there is a gentleman selling the exact same wood tool box from COSTCO, still in the COSTCO box, for $189 + approximately $18 to ship. He has five. You can always wait until next year. BTW, I sent an email to TRINITY the manufacturer asking if there was another way to acquire these wood tool boxes. Stay tuned.

Aren't they only $99 at Costco?

Our local COSTCO put them on sale for $79.99 beginning 2/09/2015 through early or mid March. A representative from the Trinity Company that makes them emailed me that COSTCO will also be selling them again sometime in the summer.

Grab 'em at $79.99 they are nice.

Pat McConnel,

somethingwritepens.com

Our local COSTCO put them on sale for $79.99 beginning 2/09/2015 through early or mid March. A representative from the Trinity Company that makes them emailed me that COSTCO will also be selling them again sometime in the summer.

Grab 'em at $79.99 they are nice.

I went in to get my price adjustment today and found that they lowered the base price to $89.99. After the $20 discount it's only $69.99!

Costco in Newington, VA had one out for display today. Its fit and finish is much better than the Harbor Freight, but it seemed a bit smaller. Harbor Freight has a lock while Costco's doesn't, just a latch. Still very nice for the price.

Edited by Tasmith

I went over to my Costco today to get another and saw that they were now $69.99. I bought 3 and immediately brought one back on my old $99.99 receipt to get the adjustment. If you thought they were a bargain at $100 they are very good at $70.

Costco's in Danbury and Norwalk, CT just got 18 each today, Danbury is down to 16.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

I ended up buying a vintage Gerstner machinist's tool box after checking out the Harbor Freight "modern" tool box a year or so ago; didn't like the fit and finish, to say the least, so went for the vintage toolbox. It cost a lot more but it is good looking, handmade out of oak, the drawers are dovetailed and open and close smoothly, the whole box is sturdy, has "history" and will still be in good shape and useable long after I am gone. I use it for my fountain pen repair tools, etc..

Good to hear the Costco tool boxes are better made than those available at Harbor Freight. Whichever one you get, these are really useful for our hobby and, if you don't intend it for portable use, I am sure even those, like HF's, which are not very well made, will work just fine for pen/ink/tool storage since all they have to do is sit on a shelf. :)

Holly

I couldn't justify a Gerstner's right now but I now have something to look for at tag sales.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

I bought one at the Costco at Madison Heights, MI this weekend - they had 5 or 6 left if I remember correctly and it was either $70 or 80 - was not paying attention closely. Seems like a nice box - but any leads on getting inserts to keep the pens from rolling around?

<snip>. Seems like a nice box - but any leads on getting inserts to keep the pens from rolling around?

I imagine there are other places where you can get them, but gopens.com is often recommended: pen trays. You can cut them to the size that you need. Not sure whether gopens is a good source for you as you are in Canada, but shipping shouldn't be too expensive, since the trays are pretty light. You might also be able to find something suitable at a local crafts shop. Or, of course, you can make your own pen slots/trays using dowels and leather or cloth; that would be my choice! :D

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Would there be a market for something like this, but purpose built for pen storage and made from quality hardwoods? I'm a woodworker and I'm always on the lookout for something new to make. Maybe if I sold a few I could buy some of these pens I'm eyeing. :lol:

I'm sure there would be, but I'm sure the price point would be a factor.

I could see two full width drawers, with 3/4" slots by 6-7 inches long for pen storage with a smaller 3/4" compartment in front of it for extra nibs, converters, etc. items specific to that pen..

More drawers underneath for tools and such, one full width for paper, the top compartment deep enough for ink bottles.

I use a vintage Gerstner that was originally made for dental tools. I retrofitted it for pens with a few modifications. It has collapsible trays in the top compartment.

post-42304-0-23512700-1424371722.jpg

Oh, that is a cool Gerstner chest you have, Argee. Perfect for pen storage, just as the Gerstner machinist's chest I have is perfect (IMHO) for pen tools and such; I didn't know they even made dental chests, but I guess that makes sense! :blush:

(For anyone that might be interested in repurposing a similar but slightly different chest, I just did a quick search and found an eBay auction for one - even comes with some dental tools - picks and hemostats - which are also quite useful for pen repair! Gerstner 13 drawer dental chest )

Holly

• 1 month later...

Hi, Newbie here :-)

I wondered if this should be under Marketwatch, but access (for starting a new post) is restricted.

I know this is an older thread, but if anyone is still looking for one of these, the Trinity wood chest is on sale and in stock at Costco.com for $64.97, plus $10 shipping through 4/10. After that, it probably goes back up to $79.99. It's also available in some stores for even less. If you call your local warehouse and ask someone in the admin offices, they should be able to tell you if they have it.

http://www.costco.com/Trinity-Wood-Tool-Box.product.100153740.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=trinity+wood+chest&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=

• 1 month later...

Costco item #922281. Current price $39.95. Free shipping. Extremely well built.

post-36725-0-48368900-1432577941_thumb.jpg

post-36725-0-26931900-1432577954_thumb.jpg

I just ordered one. The catch is - you can't buy it in the stores unless you are a member, but you can order online, with free shipping, and it will only cost you $2 as a non-member add-on fee.

I saw it originally for $99, and snapped it up when it went for $69. It's still in the box waiting for a space to open up so I can set it up. :-)

Thank you, cheerfulwriter and mmg122, for alerting us to this item's reappearance at Costco.com! I've just ordered one. :cloud9:

Edited by Djehuty