Wood Machinist's Chest: Costco (Usa)

bogiesan

This very well-made wooden chest is available seasonally at Costco warehouses in most of the USA. I do not know if they appear in other countries' stores and I have only seen it on costco.com once a few years ago. Cost is US$100. Not as many drawers as the Harbor Freight unit but it's made of higher quality materials and shows better construction.

However, you can get the HF unit for much, much, much less if you watch their stores and flyers carefully: $80 msrp, get it at a sale event for 25% off = $60, sometimes you can apply an additional 25% coupon = $45.00. At that price, do your friends a favor and buy three!

http://t.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-boxes/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html

post-37713-0-63918700-1420988783_thumb.jpg

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Recoil Rob

• EclecticCollector

• bogiesan

• Tasmith

Thanks for sharing. I have the Harbor Freight, and yes its construction isn't the best, especially the sloppy fitting and sticky drawers (the stickyness was fixed with a dab or two of paste wax on the drawer guides). But for my needs of holding pens and pen supplies just sitting on my desk it works just fine.

I'll take a look at the Costco one. It looks very nice and I could always use more storage. One thing about Costco, if you see an item you like buy it soon as they don't always restock items that are sold out.

Edited by Tasmith

I saw that chest around Xmas... should have snagged one then.

"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at both chests today, and decided to spend the extra $ for the Costco one. The fit and finish seemed nicer, and I really like the tall narrow drawer in the middle - it'll be perfect for ink. I haven't gotten home yet from shopping, and then I have to fix dinner, so it'll be a while before I can move into it. Both chests that I looked at have the same number of drawers, as far as I could see.

Debbie

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

All of the HF coupons I've seen in the past several months have excluded tool storage, do they have occasional sales that don't?

I saw that at the Costco near us in Cranberry last week. Rather a nice chest. The "bible hole" (small b intentional) is a great place to store your pen sacs. Put them in labeled poly bags or coin envelopes.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

If someone might measure the inside depth of the top and bottom drawers on the Costco unit and post them I would appreciate it.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

All of the HF coupons I've seen in the past several months have excluded tool storage, do they have occasional sales that don't?

Are you in their upscale, online, millionaires only, exclusive clubs? Seems that's where the super duper coupons come from.

I think half the fun of shoping at Harbor Freight is trying to get their worst products at the best prices. I don't pay any attention to prices till I'm in the store and then I hit the website on my iPhone and have the coupons ready to scan at checkout. The online site has different coupons than what comes (endlessly) in the mail.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I saw that at the Costco near us in Cranberry last week. Rather a nice chest. The "bible hole" (small b intentional) is a great place to store your pen sacs. Put them in labeled poly bags or coin envelopes.

I've got a couple of Fine Woodworking's tool chest and shop books. Never seen the term "bible hole" in any reference. Google returns only your posts with the term. Can you explain this thing of yours a bit more?

I think it depends on the individual store in the case. Their coupons always exclude tool storage but historically that has applied to their red or black rolling carts, the Snap-On copies. And for the non-professional mechanic they are quite a good value.

However in this case I don't think that exclusion wood apply, depending on the store I think you could probably talk your way into getting the wood chest at discount.

BTW does anyone have the Costco item number for their chest?

thanks,

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

The best description I ever heard about HF is from a friend of my husband's: "If you buy a tool there, and it breaks, go buy a better one elsewhere. If you buy a tool and end up never using it, you're not out a lot of cash."

The problem with Costco is that it's a "membership club" -- you have to pay to join (like you do for Sam's Club). We looked into Costco for purposes of my husband's sideline business and they literally would not sell us what we needed. Even the sales rep Steve talked to looked into it -- and the answer was still "nope" (we run a food booth at something once a year, and we could not buy boxes of frozen bread loaves, cookies or croissants -- we could only get ones that Costco baked off...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Are you in their upscale, online, millionaires only, exclusive clubs? Seems that's where the super duper coupons come from.

Probably not. :) I'm on their physical mailing list and get coupons in the mail but nothing online.

For those who don't want to consider these new examples there are older ones available as well. I got mine last summer at a flea mall.

I guess it originally had a lift down door that would have secured the drawers? That was missing but otherwise it is nice old oak & I think I paid about $75.

Shoping for pens, inkwells, stands, and pen storeage at flea markets and boot sales is a huge investment of time. For the $25 you saved it was probably worth it since you may be at those venues reguarly. For many of us, $100 for a fancy, if heartlessly mass-produced, wooden machinists-style tool chest is a massiveely cool bargain.

Hi all

i realy like the look of thease chests any sugestions about where to get someting like this in the uk

thanks

Peter

Shoping for pens, inkwells, stands, and pen storeage at flea markets and boot sales is a huge investment of time. For the $25 you saved it was probably worth it since you may be at those venues reguarly. For many of us, $100 for a fancy, if heartlessly mass-produced, wooden machinists-style tool chest is a massiveely cool bargain.

I did not mean to suggest that purchasing a "vintage" (i.e. used) case was meant as cost saving in regard to the newly mentioned chests. I was not aware of their availability or price when I purchased mine. I just saw it & liked the design for pen or other "smalls" storage & organisation of same. I was also happy with the older finish & merely wanted to offer another suggestion for acquisition as it seemed there was some debate about the availability of these chests @ the sites mentioned.

You are absolutely correct when you say one's time is valuable & must be measured into pricing of purchase. And again correct that I enjoy shopping the secondary markets so it was no problem for me. I have the time & enjoy spending it in this manner. Sometimes I find things that are useful or appealing to me & if I do not it is not a problem. I have only purchased pens & inks from dealers as I trust their offerings & although I enjoy hearing about someone finding a "bargain" pen in an antique shop I doubt it will be me. I believe everyone has their own preferred methods of procurement & whatever suits them is the best place for their shopping. For a person who has NO local access for pen nor inks I am happy to use phone, mail or internet orders even though I am not able to handle the item. So they are my best sources while others have "brick & mortar" stores & they are probably their preferences.