Pilot Iroshizuku - Shin-Kai

jasonchickerson

post-106358-0-44064100-1420959151_thumb.jpg

post-106358-0-54930600-1420959102.jpg

post-106358-0-50883500-1420959103.jpg

post-106358-0-82020000-1420959106.jpg

post-106358-0-45928200-1420959104_thumb.jpg

post-106358-0-11851600-1420991652_thumb.jpg

I am not a fan of blue ink. Before I found fountain pens, I used black ballpoint pens. In my pens, I use faded earthtones that lend themselves to ink and wash sketches. Iroshikuzu Shin-kai is the first blue ink I'll buy. It is fantastic.

These are photos not scans. This is a difficult ink to describe, much less capture in a photo or scan. However, reasonable care has been taken to ensure color accuracy.

As this was a Goulet sample, I haven't had the opportunity to make a proper attempt at sketching with this ink. If there is interest, I'll update later when I've done something worth posting. In the meantime, enjoy a 60 second sketch of my phone.

Correction: I wrote in my review that Shin-kai feathers on moderately priced copy paper. It was a fluke. I've now tried it on a number of other cheap papers and no sign of feathering. Fantastic.

Edited by jasonchickerson

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jasonchickerson

• tinta

• Sandy1

• amberleadavis

Thank you for a great review. I love the drawings.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Looks not bad. I have a 15ml bottle of it, but I haven't used it yet. I guess it'll be my next fill!

Was this from one of the "white boxes?" Are they available online somewhere?

Yes, a set of three 15ml bottles in a white box. I found them on a Chinese online store. I don't think they have them anymore.

Ok, thanks. I think this one warrants a full bottle in any case.

I just ordered a sample of this. Am I right in thinking that this doesn't lean teal (the way a lot of blue black inks do)?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It's not teal. You should like it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I just realized I misspelled Iroshizuku everywhere in this review except the handwritten page. I can't seem to edit it any longer, though?

I just realized I misspelled Iroshizuku everywhere in this review except the handwritten page. I can't seem to edit it any longer, though?

You can only edit for 24 hours. Soon, we will have premium memberships that allow for longer periods of editing. I changed the title for you.

You can only edit for 24 hours. Soon, we will have premium memberships that allow for longer periods of editing. I changed the title for you.

Great. Thanks!

Nice review.

Shin-kai is my go-to conventional formula blue/black. A lovely ink.

The others are all iron gall.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Nice review.

Shin-kai is my go-to conventional formula blue/black. A lovely ink.

The others are all iron gall.

I've never been tempted by iron gall inks. Waterproofness is not a quality I look for in ink.

I received my bottle of Shin-kai today and was surprised to find that it smells faintly wonderful. Anyone else noticed this? My bottle of Kiri-same smells of nothing.

O

I've never been tempted by iron gall inks. Waterproofness is not a quality I look for in ink.

Oh,... but the shading is fantastic with many ferrogallic inks. And, the change in their colour as they oxidize. Give them a try.

(Not meaning to derail your thread about a wonderful Iroshi blue/black. Just saying about the IGs)

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

O

Oh,... but the shading is fantastic with many ferrogallic inks. And, the change in their colour as they oxidize. Give them a try.

(Not meaning to derail your thread about a wonderful Iroshi blue/black. Just saying about the IGs)

Have you tried Rohrer & Klingner Salix? It looks similar to Shin-kai in the reviews I've seen. Do you mean that iron gall inks change color as they dry, or over time as the iron oxidizes?

Which are your favorites? Any recommendations? I'm not really looking for another blue at the moment.

R&K Salix is a basic good choice for introducing yourself to GI inks. A great shading blue/black.

I prefer R&K Scabiosa, as it is not a blue, but a dusty purple/violet..

This ink has been in one of my pens for almost a year now. I have used so much of it in a year that I have to transfer my Scabiosa into a test vial, so that I can fill larger # 6 nib pens. Scabiosa also darkens with age & shades beautifully..

Edited by tinta

I wrote a letter using Shin-kai on Crown Mill Laid Paper (cream) tonight. The results were beyond expectations. This ink has depth and beautiful sheen. I was equally impressed by the quality of the paper. Take a look.

post-106358-0-26085100-1421562180_thumb.jpg

post-106358-0-06836200-1421562396.jpg

I wrote a letter using Shin-kai on Crown Mill Laid Paper (cream) tonight. The results were beyond expectations. This ink has depth and beautiful sheen. I was equally impressed by the quality of the paper. Take a look.

attachicon.gifshin-kai 02.jpg

attachicon.gifshin-kai 02-2.jpg

That looks beautiful.