Pilot Iroshizuku - Shin-Kai

jasonchickerson

I wrote a letter using Shin-kai on Crown Mill Laid Paper (cream) tonight. The results were beyond expectations. This ink has depth and beautiful sheen.

It's a beautiful, understated ink, I love it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jasonchickerson

• tinta

• Sandy1

• amberleadavis

One of my favourites as well, and my go-to ink for signatures. I keep my 149 filled with it, just to make my colleagues turn a strange shade of green on a daily basis.

- P.

Okay, you sold me. Even though I have other samples to try (including some of the new Sailor 4 Seasons inks). Even though I finally decanted the vintage Quink Violet into smaller bottles. Shin-kai gets tried. Soon. Possibly even next....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstaindruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Okay, you sold me. Even though I have other samples to try (including some of the new Sailor 4 Seasons inks). Even though I finally decanted the vintage Quink Violet into smaller bottles. Shin-kai gets tried. Soon. Possibly even next....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstaindruth

Great. Please post your thoughts here when you do.

My sample bottle smelled terrible upon first use. It seems to have calmed down in the pen.

Any one else notice the smell?

Jason: You mentioned yours smells nice?? Maybe my sample had bad ju ju?

My samples so far dry into a matte finish. As with all Iro inks, so far performance has been superb, however, the color is not one that is "special" enough for the price. YMMV.

enjoy

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

My nose is nearly as good as our Zoé, the Golden (at least that's what my wife thinks).

My Shin-kai is a new bottle. Other than a slightly fruity note on opening (sounds like wine, doesn't it?), there is no perceptive odour. On the second whiff, even that first impression disappeared. Neutral.

"Bone215", your sample may be off for some reason.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

My Shin-kai is a new bottle. Other than a slightly fruity note on opening (sounds like wine, doesn't it?), there is no perceptive odour. On the second whiff, even that first impression disappeared. Neutral.

"Bone215", your sample may be off for some reason.

I checked again and there is a faint scent like a strawberry hard candy when I open the bottle.

A nice scent might be as good an indication for an ink being "off" as a bad scent. I imagine they're all fine.

Jason: You mentioned yours smells nice?? Maybe my sample had bad ju ju?

My samples so far dry into a matte finish. As with all Iro inks, so far performance has been superb, however, the color is not one that is "special" enough for the price. YMMV.

Bone, it may be the plastic sample vial you are smelling and not the ink. I'm sure your sample is fine.

Here in the US, the Iroshizuku inks ($32 for 50ml, $0.56/ml) are 50% more expensive than those by J. Herbin ($11 for 30 ml, $0.36/ml) and over twice as expensive as those by Rohrer & Klingner ($12 for 50ml, $0.24/ml).

For me, the total cost of the bottle is prohibitive when my usage doesn't match up with the bottle sizes offered. I'm looking to buy a bottle of Rouge Hematite for Valentines cards this year, but don't really want to spend $26 for 50ml. This is simply not an ink I'll use regularly and I don't understand why such a niche ink is only offered in a size much larger (50ml) than the regular Herbin inks (30ml). On the other hand, Jet Pens offers a number of Herbin inks in 10ml bottles.

I feel the Shin-kai is worth the price simply because, after testing about 15 inks from other manufacturers, it was the only one that I had to have.

Pilot blue black is the poor mans Shin-kai, albeit without the sheen.

I don't have any Pilot BlueBlack and I can't find a direct comparison online. However, from the scans I've seen, they do not look to similar. Can you post a comparison here?

I have not seen a blue/black ink I've felt was comparable.

Amazon.com currently has Iroshizuku Shin-Kai for $16.64 with free shipping, and you do not have to be a Prime Member.

After seeing the chomatography some of you have done in your ink reviews, I thought I'd give it a try. Here's the separation for Shin-kai. I had expected the presence of a dark/black dye, but there is none.

post-106358-0-53639900-1422222281_thumb.jpg

I don't have any Pilot BlueBlack and I can't find a direct comparison online. However, from the scans I've seen, they do not look to similar. Can you post a comparison here?

I have not seen a blue/black ink I've felt was comparable.

Hi,

Below we have shin-kai on the Left and Blue-Black on the Right side:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20shin-kai/INK926_zps8af6aba1.jpg

More chit-chat @ Post № 3 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/238417-pilot-shin-kai/?p=2576941

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks Sandy1, that is more in line with what I remembered than the photo in the link I gave.

Hi,

You're welcome!

As shin-kai is a malleable ink, sensitive to pen+paper+manner of writing, I would not be surprised to see a range of depictions/comparisons, especially against PBlBk which is less malleable. i.e. When both inks are quite dark (wet pen + absorbent paper + heavy slow hand) they could appear quite similar under indoor domestic lighting.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Amazon.com currently has Iroshizuku Shin-Kai for $16.64 with free shipping, and you do not have to be a Prime Member.

Thanks. Just ordered a bottle, will use it it my new Pilot Custom 742 along with Asa Gao and Ku Jaku. There are actually quite a few differnt color Iroshizuku inks available from this seller in the $16 to $18 price range shipped for those who may be interested.

post-106358-0-15367900-1422492154_thumb.jpg

I finally had a chance to do some actual sketching with this ink. I like the results I'm getting with it, although the sheen keeps the dark areas from being truly dark at some view angles.

Eastern Bluebirds inked with Shin-kai, J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie and Rouge Hematite. Care was taken to ensure color accuracy.

Hi,

Below we have shin-kai on the Left and Blue-Black on the Right side:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2013/Ink%20Review%20-%20Pilot%20shin-kai/INK926_zps8af6aba1.jpg

Thanks for your addition, Sandy. Your reviews are legend.

attachicon.gif_FUJ6402.jpg

I finally had a chance to do some actual sketching with this ink. I like the results I'm getting with it, although the sheen keeps the dark areas from being truly dark at some view angles.

Eastern Bluebirds inked with Shin-kai, J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie and Rouge Hematite. Care was taken to ensure color accuracy.

I LOVE your sketches!!!

Thanks Sandy1 for explaining the "malleability" if ink concept.

I've often read the word in your most excellent reviews, but was too shy :blush: to ask what it meant.

I figured that eventually, through syntax, the meaning of this term referring to a characteristic of ink will be revealed.

Now I understand.

I will start to observe this characteristic with the inks, nibs & papers that I use.

PS: Might as well ask you what you mean by "majic" in reference to ink. Apparently a couple of my inks have this potential.

Cheers:

tinta

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)