sannidh

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• jameswatts

• Tas

What do you recommend using on the finish of the Visconti Homo-Sapiens finish. I have read regular car wax to dish soap. What has Visconti recommended? Is it as big an issue as I perceive?

Great review, very thorough . I will have to try the Visconti Blue? Thanks.

Earl Pitts

Hi Earl,

Got the below reply from Visconti Customer Service Team. Nivea Cream :P

“Many people like very much Homo Sapiens pen, first of all for natural material with it special soft touch and also for the spectacular flexibility of palladium nib.

Don’t worry for the small white spots in the surface of the lava material you can easely cleaning the body with Nivea cream or something similar, and cleaning it with a soft cloth.

Inside the box of the pen there is the instruction and the soft cloth too !!

Visconti company compliments for accurate descriptions and comments on the technical characteristics of the pens ....... my compliment to the staff for the spectacular images of flowers, that I like very much !!!”

Best,

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been using my Visconti Homo Sapiens for about four years now, and still love it as much as I did on the first day. It's consistent, it's got a balance and heft all of its own, and I love the fact that it's just about bullet proof. Before this, I used to adore my Conway Stewart Drake, which always had a superb feel, but the Visconti just feels more businesslike for when you want to write a lot. If anyone's interested and is considering a new Homo Sapiens, I have a short video review at

but I have to admit it's not as detailed as the information on this forum!

• 2 months later...

Great review thanks i find the video very informative

It's a small world......but I'd hate to paint it. -Stephen Wright

Great review thanks i find the video very informative

Thank you

I've been using my Visconti Homo Sapiens for about four years now...

Thank you for sharing this video. Loved your review.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I especially like the way the cap locks. I had the body come loose from the cap of a Pelikan and ruined a shirt. I liked the feel so well I searched out and found a decent deal on a matching ballpoint. The bronze with the subdued sheen of the charcoal lava looks fantastic and feels good in the hand.

Regards

Jeff

Thank you for your review.

Lovely photographs and pictures.

I did have the EF pen and sent it back for a nib swab to the stub... after going through several nib units, I agree with the terms "wet", "smooth" ... and a little bit of flex.

It is not really a flex pen, more of a soft nib. I sprung my EF testing out the flex... and I find the tines and Pd to be quite 'thin' which probably contributes to it's feel.

Unfortunately, I'm firmly in the belief one shouldn't have to adjust a pen in this price bracket. Both my Homo Sapien nibs went to nibmeisters to try to fix the gushy, wet and inconsistent flow. Lovely to write with on good cotton paper for letter writing but hopelessly impractical as a day to day pen. I'm glad you got much better experience!

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. ..

Hearty Congratulations on acquiring a lovely fountain pen :)

Thank you for your review.

Lovely photographs and pictures.

I did have the EF pen and sent it back for a nib swab to the stub... after going through several nib units, I agree with the terms "wet", "smooth" ... and a little bit of flex.

It is not really a flex pen, more of a soft nib. I sprung my EF testing out the flex... and I find the tines and Pd to be quite 'thin' which probably contributes to it's feel.

Unfortunately, I'm firmly in the belief one shouldn't have to adjust a pen in this price bracket. Both my Homo Sapien nibs went to nibmeisters to try to fix the gushy, wet and inconsistent flow. Lovely to write with on good cotton paper for letter writing but hopelessly impractical as a day to day pen. I'm glad you got much better experience!

Thank you :)

I too share your opinion. The QC problem seem to have plagued esp. the EF nibs. At such a price, we expect a complete piece. And you are right, one shouldn't try to flex the tines, which Visconti also states in the manual & labels. (I did the same mistake as you :P)

Bah, so the EF nib on the VHS writes a line almost as wide as a pilot M nib and is plagued with QC issues?

Not looking good for me getting one then, i prefer finer nibs and Pilot F is more my thing.

Thanks for the comparisons to the 823, really helpful for me since it is one of my favorite pens :)

I've had issues with F and M nibs, haven't had an opportunity to try the EF. The Fine I had to send in to swap absolutely gushed ink, and was very rigid, which is the only Pd nib I've seen act this way.

I love this pen in its ideal state. The bronze and the lava. The shape. In execution, I haven't found one that works for me. The HS Bronze I had contained a clip that tarnished to a very orangey color that did not come close to matching the rest of the trim, which were what i would consider to be bronze. If the clip tarnished to that color, I would absolutely love the pen and would consider getting the rollerball.

I have also found that using the Visconti supplied cloth on the clip would leave a reddish residue on the nearby lava material.

I am seriously eyeing a Dark age.

Just received my HS Bronze Age 1.3mm 23k Pd yesterday. Love the look and feel of the pen. Really really love the look. This size is Maxi and perfect for my hands BUT wowzer! This pen gushes ink like it's going out of style. Since I cannot tell how much ink is left inside the pen, I have no idea how I'm going to take this with me as a daily user. Not to mention how thick and wet a line it spits out. Like a paint brush. It does well on premium paper as I've tested it on Rhodia, Tomoe River, and my favorite daily paper - Staples Premium Arc Systems paper, however, with so much ink coming from this pen ... I don't think it would be suitable for work use. There is absolutely no chance any cheap paper would hold up to this 1.3mm. Really sad to say I have no idea when I would be using this pen. With so much flow, I cannot imagine how I would actually use it. Maybe someone would want to swap me for a EF??? I guess I could use it for journaling or home use, however, my pens spend their time 8-10 hrs a day on my office desk and pants/suit pockets. Anyone looking for a 1.3mm and want to swap me for an EF or F? :0)

Bought a HomoSapien as my 25th anniversary present to myself. Cannot begin to say how much I love this pen. I write with a light hand to begin with, and this Dreamtouch nib (XF) is perfect for me. I wrote the bulk of a novella with this pen. It's as close to the perfect pen for me as I might find.

Bought a HomoSapien as my 25th anniversary present to myself. Cannot begin to say how much I love this pen. I write with a light hand to begin with, and this Dreamtouch nib (XF) is perfect for me. I wrote the bulk of a novella with this pen. It's as close to the perfect pen for me as I might find.

I also bought from a member of another forum a Homo Sapiens Bronze with an F nib. Apart that it writes like an M, no other issues to report other than the ink capacity seems to be quite low.

But what a nice pen, a joy to hold in the hand and to write with. Maybe this is why the ink capacity seems so low?

Bah, so the EF nib on the VHS writes a line almost as wide as a pilot M nib and is plagued with QC issues?

Not looking good for me getting one then, i prefer finer nibs and Pilot F is more my thing.

Thanks for the comparisons to the 823, really helpful for me since it is one of my favorite pens :)

Thank you :)

If you get a right EF nib, I strongly suggest you dont miss the VHS :D

I've had issues with F and M nibs, haven't had an opportunity to try the EF. The Fine I had to send in to swap absolutely gushed ink, and was very rigid, which is the only Pd nib I've seen act this way.

I love this pen in its ideal state. The bronze and the lava. The shape. In execution, I haven't found one that works for me. The HS Bronze I had contained a clip that tarnished to a very orangey color that did not come close to matching the rest of the trim, which were what i would consider to be bronze. If the clip tarnished to that color, I would absolutely love the pen and would consider getting the rollerball.

I have also found that using the Visconti supplied cloth on the clip would leave a reddish residue on the nearby lava material.

I am seriously eyeing a Dark age.

All the best KTNJ :thumbup:

Also found the cloth a queer thing, brasso would work much better IME, if you do not prefer a dated look..

Just received my HS Bronze Age 1.3mm 23k Pd yesterday. Love the look and feel of the pen. Really really love the look. This size is Maxi and perfect for my hands BUT wowzer! This pen gushes ink like it's going out of style. Since I cannot tell how much ink is left inside the pen, I have no idea how I'm going to take this with me as a daily user. Not to mention how thick and wet a line it spits out. Like a paint brush. It does well on premium paper as I've tested it on Rhodia, Tomoe River, and my favorite daily paper - Staples Premium Arc Systems paper, however, with so much ink coming from this pen ... I don't think it would be suitable for work use. There is absolutely no chance any cheap paper would hold up to this 1.3mm. Really sad to say I have no idea when I would be using this pen. With so much flow, I cannot imagine how I would actually use it. Maybe someone would want to swap me for a EF??? I guess I could use it for journaling or home use, however, my pens spend their time 8-10 hrs a day on my office desk and pants/suit pockets. Anyone looking for a 1.3mm and want to swap me for an EF or F? :0)

Can you ask Visconti Customer service, they might do a nib exchange..

Congratulations !! Hope you enjoy the VHS :)

I also bought from a member of another forum a Homo Sapiens Bronze with an F nib. Apart that it writes like an M, no other issues to report other than the ink capacity seems to be quite low.

But what a nice pen, a joy to hold in the hand and to write with. Maybe this is why the ink capacity seems so low?

I feel the same, ink capacity for this one is comparatively lower, varies from 1.2-1.5 mL..