Nibs For A Ranga Ebonite Dip Pen

BookCat

I recently ordered a Ranga Ebonite dip pen primarily for testing inks, but also for calligraphy. However, for the latter purpose I'd need to find #5 size dip nibs preferably of the pointed flexy type.

Several searches for these have come up blank, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for dip nibs that are size 5.

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BookCat

• prasadvenkat

• Algester

• Turbone

I recently ordered a Ranga Ebonite dip pen primarily for testing inks, but also for calligraphy. However, for the latter purpose I'd need to find #5 size dip nibs preferably of the pointed flexy type.

Several searches for these have come up blank, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for dip nibs that are size 5.

Thanks.

Hi Book Cat,

As posted in the other thread about the dip pen, You can use the G nibs in this with no problem. The following nibs have worked for me

G Nibs (Nikko, Zebra, Tachikawa)

Leonard Principal EF, (feed needs heat setting)

Hope this helps

-Prasad

Hi prasadvenkat,

I read your thread from last May about the modifications which were done for you. Didn't you have the feed modified to take a Zebra G? I might be misremembering (I've slept since I read the thread :unsure: ). I'll be so pleased if it does take the G nibs. I've read and watched reviews of this pen which are all positive: it just writes and writes before needing to be re-dipped. I'm very impressed with the customer service too.

Algester,

Thanks for the information. I was beginning to think this thread would sink without a trace.

Hi prasadvenkat,

I read your thread from last May about the modifications which were done for you. Didn't you have the feed modified to take a Zebra G? I might be misremembering (I've slept since I read the thread :unsure: ). I'll be so pleased if it does take the G nibs. I've read and watched reviews of this pen which are all positive: it just writes and writes before needing to be re-dipped. I'm very impressed with the customer service too.

Algester,

Thanks for the information. I was beginning to think this thread would sink without a trace.

Hi Algester,

I was not sure about his feed sizes and so, being local I just sent him a couple of G nibs to be sure. I later found that his standard 5mm feed (used for his dip pens and smaller pens) fits the G nib as is. Like I said, since the stock ebonite feeds are hand cut, there is a slight variation snd this is taken care by heat setting.

A little tinkering will make it fit well, no worries.

Happy dipping and writing :)

-Prasad

Hi Algester,

I was not sure about his feed sizes and so, being local I just sent him a couple of G nibs to be sure. I later found that his standard 5mm feed (used for his dip pens and smaller pens) fits the G nib as is. Like I said, since the stock ebonite feeds are hand cut, there is a slight variation snd this is taken care by heat setting.

A little tinkering will make it fit well, no worries.

Happy dipping and writing :)

-Prasad

This is wonderful information, thanks. (I'm Catherine, Algester was the poster in post #2, silly me, I should have worded it better.) This pen sounds better and better.

This is wonderful information, thanks. (I'm Catherine, Algester was the poster in post #2, silly me, I should have worded it better.) This pen sounds better and better.

Mia Culpa Catherine,

I should have read it better, just to eager to share information with anyone using pointed nibs, I guess :)

Not your fault at all, I worded it very awkwardly so that it looks like a signature rather than an address. My fault.

Thank you for sharing your experience, it's all so useful. Really looking forward to receiving the pen and I've ordered some Zebra G nibs from Amazon in anticipation.

• 2 years later...

My Ranga ebonite dip pen won't fit into the holder with zebra g nib.

Is there a video on YouTube that shows how it's done?

My Ranga ebonite dip pen won't fit into the holder with zebra g nib.

Is there a video on YouTube that shows how it's done?

HI Turbone,

What size is the feed (diameter of the rounded end on the back)?

The zebra nib fits, if this is 5mm. You can remove the feed and place the nib on top of it and see if they match. If there is a small gap, you can heat set the feed to match the profile of the nib.

If you are only going to use this with a G nib, you can also use a file to adjust the size of the hole in the holder. Being ebonite, it's fairly easy to file off a little material. This can be done if the feed is the 4mm feed.

If the feed is larger, you will need to get a No 5 feed and use a little tape on the bottom to press fit it into the holder.

I don't think there is a Youtube video for this.

Happy writing

Prasad