Fpn Inks - Good News!

wimg

Does anyone know how Starry Night compares to the FPH-exclusive Henry Hudson Blue and Ellis Island?

I've been wondering that myself -- particularly about Ellis Island, which when I dip tested it a couple of years ago was almost black, IIRC.

Henry Hudson Blue, OTOH, I just got a couple of weeks ago, and I would describe it as a dark grayish blue. The picture of Tas' mini-review card makes VGSN a bit on the teal side -- which HHB most definitely is not.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• RMN

• amberleadavis

• Last Knight

I've been wondering that myself -- particularly about Ellis Island, which when I dip tested it a couple of years ago was almost black, IIRC.

I am sure Tas can help us there... I just sent him a sample of both Van Gogh and Ellis Island... Tas?? :P

C.

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Was that a recently purchased Ellis Island? I liked the samples in girlieg33k's review:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/41275-noodlers-ellis-island-fph-exclusive/

but not so much the sample in this recent post, which doesn't have much blue at all:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/273635-is-this-typical-noodlers-ellis-island-blue-black/

A passing thought as I was reading about J.Herbin's Stormy Grey -- if you had these sorts of metallic specks in the midnight blue of VGSN, it would really be a Starry Night.

Ooh, awesome! The Galileo Manuscript Brown looks lovely.

Sure is. I bought 2 large bottles last time it was offered... using it in my green Pilot VP this week.

And metallic specks in the Starry Night sounds like a great idea; I'd have to buy some of that.

Glenn.

Sure is. I bought 2 large bottles last time it was offered... using it in my green Pilot VP this week.

And metallic specks in the Starry Night sounds like a great idea; I'd have to buy some of that.

Glenn.

Metallic particles in ink is something we will definitely not offer. In order to use such inks, one needs to keep a pen very clean, all the time, which means never let the ink dry out, regularly clean it, really on a daily basis, rinsing it extremely thoroughly, and even then particles will clog up the feed and capillary system.

Metallic particles are not supposed to be part of a fountain pen ink, only water soluble particles should be present, if one doesn't want to destroy a fountain pen. It is ok for a dip pen, not for a fountain pen :).

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Metallic particles are not supposed to be part of a fountain pen ink

Yes, of course, but what is it then that the good people at J. Herbin put into their Gris orage aka Stromy Grey?

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Yes, of course, but what is it then that the good people at J. Herbin put into their Gris orage aka Stromy Grey?

No idea. I guess that is best to ask in Inky Thoughts, I am pretty sure someone there knows.

Even so, if those are insoluble particles, I certainly would not recommend its use.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Metallic particles in ink is something we will definitely not offer

Sorry, that wasn't meant as a request - I was just idly speculating what a dark blue with 'stars' would look like. I've seen pictures here of pens that weren't maintained properly when using Rouge Hematite and it's not a pretty sight.

If there really is hematite in that ink, it wouldn't be a pretty sight at all, indeed. It would not only block the feed and pen, but start rusting too, and rust expands well beyond the space pure iron takes up, so it will likely lodge itself in all small crevasses, expand, and will not be removable without the use of acids. The expansion will be quite destructive too. So yes, I can imagine :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hematite is already an oxide. So it would not expand any further. But it probably would precipitate into larger complexes upon drying and is possibly not easily soluble..

Anyway, these particles in fountainpen-nk sound like a bad idea....

I remember my Waterman clogging from the gorgeous coloured Penman Mocha.... Best colour brown I remember seeing.... but not in my FP any more...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

No idea. I guess that is best to ask in Inky Thoughts, I am pretty sure someone there knows.

Good idea! I will do that.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Hematite is already an oxide. So it would not expand any further. But it probably would precipitate into larger complexes upon drying and is possibly not easily soluble..

Anyway, these particles in fountainpen-nk sound like a bad idea....

I remember my Waterman clogging from the gorgeous coloured Penman Mocha.... Best colour brown I remember seeing.... but not in my FP any more...

D.ick

:D

I just wanted to keep it simple. As a former geologist I am well aware that hematite, or rather haematite as we prefer to spell it, is ferrous oxide. However, the ferrous looking version, which most people know as the mineral hematite, is the simplest form of rust there is, and not all that stable, especially not in watery conditions. Complex forms of rust, which are most common in normal atmospheric conditions, have rather more complex mineral structures, even containing a lot of water, an expand anywhere from a few times their original volume, to up to as much as 10 or 15 times. This is what causes so-called concrete rot. Iron oxidizes, and absorbs a lot of water, expands, the concrete breaks, and the strength of the original iron is gone. And this is what simple ferrous oxide will do too in the right conditions.

Of if you think Penman Mocha is bad, you should try the old Penman Black :).

Having said that, the blue (don't remember its name anymore) and green (Penman Emerald) versions are really, really nice. However, they are in the Unobtanium corner of the periodic ink table ;).

Warm regards, Wim ;)

the Mad Dutchman

So exciting. I'm new here but I'd love all three, though the Blue and Violet really make my heart sing! Can't wait!

http://www.keenandgraev.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Take-my-Money-300x168.jpg

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

I am probably buying one bottle of everything except Starry Night, because I will be buying TWO bottles if I can get them.

Woot!!!

Yeah, this is going to be a painful year for ink, or rather my wallet after buying said ink. Between the FPN inks & KWZI...

Does anyone have a picture to post with a sample of the purple? Or is it posted somewhere on FPN?

Not much discussion about it, and I am curious how it looks.

Carl