Chelpark Sona Vs Lincoln From Beena

Anirban4u

When I purchased the two Chelpark Sona pens from Mr. Subramaniam of ASApens way back in Feb,2014, he requested me to give feedback about these pens. Well, I did inform him on call, but a written review never happened. My bad!

Then on 28th Dec,2014, I came across a Lincoln, from Beena. Another Indian piston filler. After looking at the pen I knew I had to do a review of these two pens, much like a certain Mr Brown with his shootout series. Read on.

First Impression:

Both pens are packed similarly. I mean you can change the wrappings & the boxes and that wouldn't make any difference. The packaging is good enough, pens are housed into a hard plastic box which is inside a cardboard box. No problemo!

post-108404-0-57475800-1420466495_thumb.jpg

post-108404-0-65293700-1420466504_thumb.jpg

Looks & Size:

The two pens are almost identical twins, had it not been for the caps & the gold ring. A few more dissimilarities showed up when I dug deep. But I'll pull the rabbits one by one from the proverbial hat. ;)

I Compared the pens with a Lamy Safari, so you'll get a rough Idea about the size. I dont own a scale so can't tell you how it weighs. But they are made of plastic, and weigh roughly similar to a NoNonsense (with a piston converter). My guess may be off by a few milligrams. Can't help!

They are easy to hold and write. I personally prefer pens with a bit more girth, but I can adjust. Good enough in my books.

post-108404-0-21317500-1420466601_thumb.jpg

post-108404-0-37388300-1420466612_thumb.jpg

Nib:

Yes, the rumors are true. Both pens sport a screw in nib-feed assembly. I don't own an Estie (Do you have one to pass on?) so I can't tell you if the assembly are interchangeable. But look at the pictures below. It's possible to make a frankenpen out of them (and NOT two!).
The nib on the Lincoln is a shade thicker than the Sona and this is the first time I am seeing an Indian medium nib in that Lincoln. I don't have enough competency to tell you, but I don't think there are more Indian pens with M nibs. Perhaps Hari317 can shed a bit more light.
Both nibs are smooth with a bit of pleasant feedback. I did not do the figure 8s on buffs before scrawling a few lines, but maybe I shall with the Beena. Just my preference.

post-108404-0-57164200-1420466617_thumb.jpg

post-108404-0-16108300-1420466624_thumb.jpg

post-108404-0-34778000-1420466630_thumb.jpg

Price:

The Chelpark Sona used to cost 110 INR (<2 US$ current) in July 1996. The Lincoln's price was (is) 180 INR (<3 US$) when packed in June 2013. I think even at the price of 245 INR (<4 US$) (ASA), Sona is a cheap and wonderful pen. I can not say the same about few Walities that costs around the same. But they are a different category. The Lincoln is also a steal. Thumbs up to both.

Personal Thoughts:

I'd recommend this piston fillers to anyone. Not too long ago, I saw a few old German Piston Fillers (School Pens) up in the PIF section. I can't remember the name, but I think these pens can give hard competition to them.
Food for thought Mr. Brown :)

# Disclaimer 1 : Not affiliated woth Chelpark/Beena. :P
# Disclaimer 2 : My post is not intended to hurt anyone.
# Disclaimer 3 : Mods, I was unsure if to post this in India & Subcontinent or here. Please move if need be.

Your constructive criticism is always welcome.

post-108404-0-58057800-1420466639_thumb.jpg

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anirban4u

• hari317

• J_MM

• sanyalsoumitra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the interesting review. I have a Sona and I think it is a great pen, especially at the price. The nib unit, however, is not interchangeable with an Esterbrook unit. My memory is that the Sona unit is narrower than the Estie, but it could be the other way around. But, the Sona nib might be interchangeable with a Reform 1745 unit. I gave away my 1745 so I can check, but maybe someone else here can.

Jeff

Thanks for the detail post ..

Both are great pens .. As per my opinion Chelpark Sona is one step ahead .

Unfortunately Chelpark Sona is not available now in Indian retail shops

I am also enjoying both pens :)

Regards ,

BAAZ

In Some Low end ED Fellowship Pens, Indian Medium Nibs Can Be Found. They Are Specifically Marked As "M". Nice Review, Own The Chelpark Sona, Its A Great Pen...

Neelotpal Sinharoy

Thanks All..

@Jeff, Thanks, the name "Reform" skipped my mind. That's what I meant by "German Piston filler Cheapies".

@Baaz, yes Chelpark stopped production of fountain pens. Strangel, they are still manufacturing inks :)

@Neelotpals, Don't own any Fellowship pens yet. :) Naturally the fact eluded me. Thanks.

I think the price of these FPs converted directly to USD is not the right valuation. The same FP made in USA or Europe might be anything from USD 20 to 40 depending on company manufacturing it

besides this is chel-PARK(ER)

The quality of these FPs is much better than many of the FPs produced in India + they are vintage.

Even Reform 1745 on eBay is around USD 12

Good Review

:thumbup:

Edited by anup

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

@Anup (a_m), I merely stated the price in India. It wasn't my intention to hypothesize the price if they were in fact US or EU made.
But I do understand what you mean :).

Cheers & peace.

@Algester, you won't be disappointed. :D

The Sona sounds like a delightful pen. Unfortunate that it didn't seem to be well-known outside India until it was already hard to find.

Nice review!

ron

@hari317, actually the inspiration for this review came from your comment about the similarities between two pens in https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/268874-chelpark-sona-piston-filler/ .

@rwilsonedn, Thanks for your encouraging words.

@hari317, actually the inspiration for this review came from your comment about the similarities between two pens in https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/268874-chelpark-sona-piston-filler/ .

Okay. :) Even though the pens feature different brand names, they are made by the same company. The Sona's nib unit is an improvement due to the integrated metal sleeve to prevent cracking and features a plastic feeder as compared to the Ebonite feeder on the Beena.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

@Hari317, Yes, it seemed that Sona was an upgrade the moment I screwed in Beena's Nib-feed unit. They made the Sona backward compatible :D

Who's the OEM manufacturer, any ideas ?

• 3 months later...

Good review. I think the Chelpark Sona I have is the best pen value I have ever seen. Mine has a smooth nib with a bit of spring and very pleasant to use. Piston is very smooth.

I don't have a Pelikan m200 but it sure looks similar and at a fraction of the price.

@Rishminder,

Ask someone from Pune to keep an eye on the Venus Traders showroom in FC Road area (very near to British Council Pune).
They turn up sometimes, albeit rarely.

@V,

I'd rather grab both ;). Better coordinate with Rish.

@J_MM

I don't think it looks "THAT" similar with Pelikan 200. Here the barrell tapers at the end. I dont own a Pelikan 200 (yet!) to check, but this will compete with Reform pens any day!! :)