Montblanc 149 Bbb Keep It Authentic Or Retip?

Opooh

Finally found a 149 with BBB nib to complete the regular 149 nibsizes. Unfortunately the tip best time is over, compared to a OBB and a OBBB it is more like a dry B. Because it will only be occasionally used , here's the dilemma. Should I keep the nib authentic and keep it out of rotation or should I send it to a nibmeister to retip and loose a part of the authenticity?

A writing sample compared to OBB and OBBB ( sorry for the bad handwriting ) and some pictures of the nib.

post-102554-0-51721700-1420391726_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-86707900-1420391916_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-21341200-1420391945_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-43604100-1420391969_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-29315500-1420392025_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-29432200-1420392051_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-16419100-1420392069_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-74763100-1420392086_thumb.jpg

post-102554-0-60577100-1420391754_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Opooh

• Ghost Plane

• jamesgibby

• playtime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

congrats on the beautiful celluloid 149!

I'd keep as is. I myself am loathe to alter vintage nibs - in time you may come to like this nib. Vintage MB factory BBB nibs are rare rare rare.

J

Edited by playtime

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

A little work on the feed might solve the dry without touching the nib itself. I'd hate to mess with that nib.

I'm never sure if the nib really matches the nib size printes on the piston knobs of vintage Montblancs.

Very often I get pens where I rate the nib much more narrow compared to what is imprinted. Don't know if k modern standards are off when it comes to vintage nibs or if the pen underwent a nib change (maybe many years ago). I don't know if Montblanc did exchange the filler knob as well when performing a nib exchange.

But nowto your question: keep the nib original and get a spare one you can get retipped to your likings. I'm sure there is a vintage 149 nib out there which could need retipping; not the cheapest possibility but the one I'd choose.

Lovely pen; so you have a collection of celluloid 149 in all nib sizes?

Cheers

Michael

I'm never sure if the nib really matches the nib size printes on the piston knobs of vintage Montblancs.

Very often I get pens where I rate the nib much more narrow compared to what is imprinted. Don't know if k modern standards are off when it comes to vintage nibs or if the pen underwent a nib change (maybe many years ago). I don't know if Montblanc did exchange the filler knob as well when performing a nib exchange.

But nowto your question: keep the nib original and get a spare one you can get retipped to your likings. I'm sure there is a vintage 149 nib out there which could need retipping; not the cheapest possibility but the one I'd choose.

Lovely pen; so you have a collection of celluloid 149 in all nib sizes?

Cheers

Michael

Yes, all of them from EF to OBBB. Thanks to Max, also a special kügel nib of the eighties, used for research purposes by MB. I will post some pics later.

Yes, all of them from EF to OBBB. Thanks to Max, also a special kügel nib of the eighties, used for research purposes by MB. I will post some pics later.

See, I knew it was worth getting back onto this forum :)

Pavoni.

A little work on the feed might solve the dry without touching the nib itself. I'd hate to mess with that nib.

I agree.

You might look for another nib section to swap it out with, I remember seeing one recently listed not sure where.

Its a really tough question Opooh. Particularly if the nib is not performing well as it is.

I think I would desperately try everything to fix the issue whilst retaining authenticity. If that doesnt work and this is a pen you want to use then go for a sympathetic nib repair is my opinion.

Good luck!

I have a modern B=BB Woolf. I have a '50-60's 146 OB that is narrower.

My 243 1/2 KOB is also a true old style OB, like a modern fat M....which is a writing nib, not a modern signature nib.

I have other wide nibbed vintage pens, like Osmia OB which is like a modern fat M. Or the OBB's that one can write well with.

My Pelikan 500 is a very wet OBB...could if I start using it, try to press the tines together to make it dryer. That is indeed a signature pen.

Many/most vintage nibs are narrower than modern.

To make a nib 'wetter', with thumb nails at the shoulder spread the tines a tiny bit. I would not put the blame on the feed, nor would I butcher it trying to fix what appears to be a nib slit width problem.

Your nib looks wide enough to be at least BB...could be BBB as described....but remember there is always a narrow and wide part of size in tolerance. It is possible that a fat F can equal a skinny M...exactly. Here it could be a skinny BBB=a fat BB.

Ron Zorn has a great article in the pinned Sheaffer sub section here, showing that in the Fort Jane factory nib gauge tolerances. Then there are those that are a hair deeper into the tolerance; that you can not tell by eye that it has backed towards the center of the tolerance range. Still looks a bit fat for a F...or thin for a B.

Should I ever order a replacement nib again on a pen from any company...I will tell them I want it in the middle of the tolerance, not on the fat size like that modern B=BB nor would I want one on the skinny side where a B would = a fat M.

When one sends in for a replacement, they should have enough time to find one that is in the middle of the tolerance range.

Today many want a fat signature B....instead of a writing B of vintage era.

Do try one of the wetter Noodler inks....that could make the nib write as fat as you wish.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'm never sure if the nib really matches the nib size printes on the piston knobs of vintage Montblancs..............

Cheers

Michael

This...+1 agree with Michael

Doesn't look like a BBB at all, even if worn down some. My guess would be that a nib replacement occurred at some point in this pen's life. I'd try and source a replacement, which won't be easy...or just have it retipped.

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

See, I knew it was worth getting back onto this forum :)

Pavoni.

Yes, would love to see the entire "opooh" collection of vintage 149s, and nibs. And this after enjoying Azuniga's magnificent pens in the "Are We Becoming" thread, wow, thank you!

I respectfully agree with Rick, for this wonderful pen, with the interesting BBB imprint followed by the little one-sided arrow, an impressive BBB nib would be appropriate, especially in the context of the collection.

We've seen some impressive restoration of vintage nibs in this Forum over the years, and I think the consensus is that accurate restoration does not negatively affect the value of the nib, or pen.

greg

I vote to retip. These pens entered life as workhorses, not porcelain dolls. I feel it is within the spirit of the original pen to have the nib serviced and adjusted to how you like.

I respect the other opinions expressed, but it is not like you are asking us if you should grind down an OBBB to an EF (which might cause some heart attacks). Make it the pen it should be in your collection!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Yes, would love to see the entire "opooh" collection of vintage 149s, and nibs. And this after enjoying Azuniga's magnificent pens in the "Are We Becoming" thread, wow, thank you!

I respectfully agree with Rick, for this wonderful pen, with the interesting BBB imprint followed by the little one-sided arrow, an impressive BBB nib would be appropriate, especially in the context of the collection.

We've seen some impressive restoration of vintage nibs in this Forum over the years, and I think the consensus is that accurate restoration does not negatively affect the value of the nib, or pen.

greg

+1 on the pictures!!!

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

146 Solitaire: Hematite; Gold & Black; Silver Fibre Guilloche.

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138 136  & 149 Silver Rings or Special Nibs