Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Ambers, Yellows And Golds - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

really digging this color. Just recently got a bottle.

Ditto. Love the color and the "texture" of the ink. KWZ inks have a certain "heft" or richness that I like a lot, don't you? And El Dorado is one of the best golden yellows I know of (I'm not as fond of the dark, "old gold" type inks).

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• Jan2016

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Inti!

fpn_1523224938__inti_and_co.jpg

My first thought was "baby food" but it has grown on me, now on a Muji aluminium with an F nib. Very calm, pleasant ink. To my eyes it gets along with all other inks, save for Ina Ho.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Inti is splendid. Just the right tone of ancient Andean pottery. Very warm.

[i have it in an Edison with stub nib —in my opinion, lighter inks need a broader nib to show off their best qualities...]

Inti is splendid. Just the right tone of ancient Andean pottery. Very warm.

[i have it in an Edison with stub nib —in my opinion, lighter inks need a broader nib to show off their best qualities...]

I would have to agree with that. I have El Dorado in my 580 with Artified B....stub. I had it in my Al Star with a 1.1 and like it in the 580 better as it is a wetter pen.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Ditto. Love the color and the "texture" of the ink. KWZ inks have a certain "heft" or richness that I like a lot, don't you? And El Dorado is one of the best golden yellows I know of (I'm not as fond of the dark, "old gold" type inks).

That's a good way to describe it. Never really thought about it like that before.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 7 months later...

This one is in Noodler's CYMK line up.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 6 months later...

Some mustards and golds:

fpn_1559153958__mustards_and_golds_-_may

KWZ Honey

De Atramentis' Umber

Diamine Ochre

Diamine Sepia

Pilot Ina Ho

De Atramentis' Havanna, York and Java

(Chinese?) Grain In The Beard

Herbin Ambre De Birmanie

Nothing thought through or intended as comprehensive, just a stock take of what I happen to have (in an attempt to resist the lure of buying everything Callifolio and anything with a "Gold" in the title from KWZ)!

Yummy!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...

Obsessed with yellows and golds currently.

ODAdPk7.png

Personal favorites are Kobe Ginza Sepia, Colorverse String, and Kyo-no-oto Yamabukiiro. Also really love Kobe #21 Taisanji Yellow, Sailor Kingdom Note Uca arcuata, and KWZI El Dorado

Sidenote: I would be absolutely shocked if Birmingham Marmalade wasn't a slightly diluted DeAtramentis Mahatma Gandhi. Really pretty color.

Edited by VivaTerlingua

Wow, Viva!

That ticks off all of the boxes I would want to see ticked, and all in one place too! A great service to humanity (and saves me a few bob!) - thank you!

Wow, Viva!

That ticks off all of the boxes I would want to see ticked, and all in one place too! A great service to humanity (and saves me a few bob!) - thank you!

Looking back at the photo, I think I'm unsatisfied with how my artificial lighting affected some of these yellows. I re-shot the swatches in plain daylight (just a few minutes before a storm blew in, lucky!) which hopefully gives a more representative view of how these inks really look.

37IR7MP.png

There are 4-5 on here that I haven't actually put into a pen just yet, so the swabs are all I'm going off of - but of those, the Robert Oster Marrone Mustard and Kobe #22 Shinkaichi Gold are at the top of my soon-to-try list. Just based on the swatch, the Blackstone Golden Wattle looks like it could be pretty legible in a medium or larger pen. I was gifted Krishna Yellow Valley but haven't tried it yet... it is pretty thick so I'm thinking it will be a real pain to clean out. I think this lighting also further illustrates the Brimingham Marmalade/DeAtramentis Mahatma Gandhi connection.

I don't know what it is about Yamabukiiro (when written, not necessarily the swatch - the swatch kind of removes the green undertones) but something about it really makes me happy. It isn't super saturated, so it has a lovely slight color change along the edge when it dries. It is definitely something I reach for on a bad day.

I know you like your mustard inks and I'm really falling back in love with Colorverse String after not using it for about 8 months. Having been really struck by your recent color combinations and the encycolorpedia recommendation, I think my July pens will include String in some way. Centered around Kobe #19 Minatogawa Lime I can also ink up Colorverse String & Robert Oster Opal Green (Analogous) and Birmingham Boysenberry & Colorverse Crystal Planet (Split-complementary). What a cool site!

Edited by VivaTerlingua

I had been wondering about the Krishna inks and the Platinum Citrus Black, so really good to see those in context.

I have to and fro'd between the Kobe's #21 and #22 a few times, but here it looks as though they are distinct and both quite lovely!

My Kyo-Iro / Kyo-No-Oto "must have" list is also growing - I don't have any yet (a gentleman of limited means!), but this makes it up to at least four that look essential - and now I want to look at that green again too!

Similarly Colorverse is a universe I have not dared enter (fear of black holes - especially economic ones!), but that String does look very tempting, and what on earth (or not?!) is that dust storm?!!

So in fact - dratt you for posting this (but genuine thanks too)! I'll take it as a challenge to cultivate self-discipline!

Oh, and I think you have saved me some money on KWZ (. . . . . although their Green Golds still look pretty nice . . . . . )

Edited by pgcauk

I had been wondering about the Krishna inks and the Platinum Citrus Black, so really good to see those in context.

I have to and fro'd between the Kobe's #21 and #22 a few times, but here it looks as though they are distinct and both quite lovely!

My Kyo-Iro / Kyo-No-Oto "must have" list is also growing - I don't have any yet (a gentleman of limited means!), but this makes it up to at least four that look essential - and now I want to look at that green again too!

Similarly Colorverse is a universe I have not dared enter (fear of black holes - especially economic ones!), but that String does look very tempting, and what on earth (or not?!) is that dust storm?!!

So in fact - dratt you for posting this (but genuine thanks too)! I'll take it as a challenge to cultivate self-discipline!

Oh, and I think you have saved me some money on KWZ (. . . . . although their Green Golds still look pretty nice . . . . . )

I think I can save you even more money!

The Krishna inks are hit or miss, because most are SO thick and saturated that the novelty wears off pretty quickly. I liked Jungle Volcano but it is an absolute nightmare to clean out. Yellow Valley is so thick that it is almost gel-like. The Platinum IG inks are really cool to watch change color... but they are the driest inks on the market, bar-none. I can't really recommend them at all.

I'm trying to think of what Colorverse/Kyoto inks I would re-purchase if a Wizard of Oz situation occurred and took all of my inks away in a tornado. Even as a Colorverse fan, I think I would only re-purchase Gravity Wave, Dark Energy, String/Brane, and Monsoon Storm/Monument Valley. Everything else they have is nice, but outside of Vortex Energy and maybe Black Hole, there isn't much else in the line that isn't replicated by a cheaper company. My main criticism of the brand is that often times the more interesting of the two inks in a package tends to be the 15mL bottle, which is sad (Gluon and Valles Marineris especially come to mind here). Well, that and they have 100 shades of teal, but only a couple earthy greens and browns. The Dust Storm ink is so pale that I regret buying it. Maybe it is fine in a flex nib or something but otherwise... not so much.

As for the Kyoto inks, if I had to start over, I think I would really only certainly get Yamabuki-iro and maybe Hisoku. Stone Road of Gion is very nice, but Monteverde Moonstone is close enough and a fraction of the price. Soft Snow of Ohara is interesting, but Birmingham and Robert Oster have 100 moody purples that can scratch the same itch. Moonlight of Higashiyama seems to be popular amongst us brick-lovers, but something about it just doesn't grab me. Nureba-iro is just a badly-behaving extremely dark blue - give me Kobe #51 any day. For me, the rest are just underwhelming. The one other ink from this line that I really liked is Frosting of Arashiyama but it appears to no longer be made, so that decision has been made for me.

The KWZ green-golds are nice, but between the Jentle/Kobe lines and Alt-Goldgrun, I really have no use for them. Honey, Brown #4, and IG Turquoise are my mainstays, and what wonderful inks they are! Monarch and El Dorado are nice in juicy nibs. KWZ is just one of those companies where I like every one of their inks... but other than the ones listed, not enough to buy more than a sample of.

This is a great game and deserves it's own thread: "If you had to rebuild your ink collection from scratch, what would be your initial selections? In order of priority please!"

And your answers are reassuringly honest!

Once I get through my De Atramentis' Umber, I may replace it with Ina Ho (or at least sample a few equivalents and make a choice, which may well be that it's best to stick with what I am happy with!), but if I have both at the same time, one will become a white elephant - would be a good discipline! I already have way too many alternative options to my mainstays. I have five good taupes already, I can justify two (cool and warm), but the rest are superfluous to need, even if they're lovely, yet I still feel that I "need" Stone Road of Gion, so thanks for telling me that I don't!

Exception of course for greens, where endless variations has to be the way to go!

Interesting timing VivaTerligua.

Stipula Zafranno arrived yesterday. Kobe 21 shipped today. Happily working on a sample of Diamine Golden Honey. Decided that Inti is close enough to stick with Ambre for now, and that I won't be finishing the samples of Old Gold or Gold Antiqua.

Saved your image for future reference. :)

Add lightness and simplicate.

This is a great game and deserves it's own thread: "If you had to rebuild your ink collection from scratch, what would be your initial selections? In order of priority please!"

And your answers are reassuringly honest!

Once I get through my De Atramentis' Umber, I may replace it with Ina Ho (or at least sample a few equivalents and make a choice, which may well be that it's best to stick with what I am happy with!), but if I have both at the same time, one will become a white elephant - would be a good discipline! I already have way too many alternative options to my mainstays. I have five good taupes already, I can justify two (cool and warm), but the rest are superfluous to need, even if they're lovely, yet I still feel that I "need" Stone Road of Gion, so thanks for telling me that I don't!

Exception of course for greens, where endless variations has to be the way to go!

It's a really interesting thought project, I would have to spend a decent amount of time thinking about what I would start over with. Maybe I'll start a topic when I get home tonight. My self-control has been pretty bad over the last couple months, and now I have 5 more bottles of ink in the mail. So I have told myself that as of today my monthly FP budget must remain under $30 per month, and I give away at least one bottle that I have been neglecting. Also giving myself some leeway with greens like youself, but also greys. I especially have too many blues and yellows/golds, so I will start there. I love blue, but how many shades of navy do I need?! Would my life be significantly altered if I didn't have both Colorverse Supernova and Taccia Ao? Hardly.

Interesting timing VivaTerligua.

Stipula Zafranno arrived yesterday. Kobe 21 shipped today. Happily working on a sample of Diamine Golden Honey. Decided that Inti is close enough to stick with Ambre for now, and that I won't be finishing the samples of Old Gold or Gold Antiqua.

Saved your image for future reference. :)

I think you will really enjoy the Taisanji Yellow. That was my very first premium ink purchase and what kicked off my love-affair with Sailor inks. The only very legible dark yellow I have used that unmistakably shades to darker shade of yellow - not gold, nor brown, nor orange. Also doesn't do that thing where it goes on super pale and you can barely see what you have written until it has dried. Good stuff.

If you had to rebuild your ink collection from scratch, what would be your initial selections? In order of priority please!

I will start an Inky TOD (Topic 0' Day).

As for the Kyoto inks, if I had to start over, I think I would really only certainly get Yamabuki-iro and maybe Hisoku. Stone Road of Gion is very nice, but Monteverde Moonstone is close enough and a fraction of the price. Soft Snow of Ohara is interesting, but Birmingham and Robert Oster have 100 moody purples that can scratch the same itch. Moonlight of Higashiyama seems to be popular amongst us brick-lovers, but something about it just doesn't grab me. Nureba-iro is just a badly-behaving extremely dark blue - give me Kobe #51 any day. For me, the rest are just underwhelming. The one other ink from this line that I really liked is Frosting of Arashiyama but it appears to no longer be made, so that decision has been made for me.

I love the Kyoto inks, especially Hisoku. If you still want a bottle of Kyo-iro Frosting of Arashiyama, try Appelboom: I got mine from them about 4 months ago, and the website still lists the color as "in stock."