Ballpoint Recommendations For A Student?

Drcollector

As a full time university student and meticulous notetaker, I habitually collect ballpoints and the occasional rollerball. I began hoarding Staedtler stationery early on, and now my arsenal has come to include Cross, Lamy, Visconti, and a plethora of other brands. That being said, I prefer pens that are attractive and practical. I have rather small hands so I avoid larger pens. Additionally, I avoid pens that are strikingly colorful. I seldom invest over $100 in a solid ballpoint. I have read that refills are key when considering ballpoints. In that case, I favor Montblanc refills, but will not risk carrying a Montblanc pen around campus.

A list of features I prefer:

-Visually appealing

-Durable; nothing disposable

-Slim (nothing wider than a Visconti Van Gogh)

-Nothing extravagant or strikingly colorful

-Nothing with an all metal finish

-Nothing over $300 (I do not want to be mugged)

Examples of pens I like: Cross Stratford (black) , Lamy Safari (grey), Visconti Rembrandt (ivory)

Examples of pens I avoid: Cross Peerless, Delta Dolcevita, OMAS 360

Based on the above information, what are your recommendations for the perfect student pen? I may seem picky here, but my tastes do change and all opinions will be considered and much appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Urushiphile

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• Drcollector

• RMN

• The Blue Knight

Parker Jotters are nice with Parker gel refills. I love the Flighter jotter (all stainless).

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Find a vintage Montblanc and carry around campus anyway. Carring a high dollar pen helps instill a sense of responsibility.

Pelikan k200, get a used one. Uses Parker refills.

Montblanc used, a 164 ballpoint in red or black. I have been using a red one and a black one since 1983.

Waterman Hemisphere. Waterman Phileas.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thank you all for your advice! Though I am not a huge fan of Jotters, I do own an older Classique (which I adore). I had the misfortune of losing an auction for a vintage bordeaux model, so I have ordered a new Classique in platinum finish. I considered the Hemisphere, but I really liked the K400 in tortoise shell white. Please feel free to suggest more pens; I will definitely check them out. Thanks again.

Urushiphile

Besides the Parker Jotter Flighter, you also could think of the Parker 180 flighter.

And Lamy has some nice ones like the CP1.

I would not pay for the very expensive models, personally, as a Ballpoint pen is only as good a writer as it's refill.

A 10 dollar Jotter writes as good as a 1000 dollar Special Edition of one of the expensive brands.

Unless you want to look really cool or posh, ofcourse.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I don't understand why people spend more then a fiver on ballpoints as they all write the same and have the same refils

If you think they all write the same or have the same refills you are sadly mistaken.

There is more to a pen than the way it writes or what refill it takes.

I hope you do not also think all fountain pens write the same and take the same refills.

What I am saying a Parker Jotter ball point will write the same way as a Parker Duofold ball point. With the only differance being a fancier and Perhaps improved ergonomics.

However generally speaking with a fountain pen you are normally getting a better nib.

Gotcha, but you answered your own question.

With the only differance being a fancier and Perhaps improved ergonomics.

Fancier, better made, balance, status etc.

Gotcha, but you answered your own question.

Fancier, better made, balance, status etc.

Status? Yes

Fancier? Depends on how you define that, but yes, could be.

Balance? No, my under 10 Euro Pentel Ergonomix beats them. You might find it ugly, though (I don't)

Better made? You will have problems wearing-out a 15 Euro Parker Vector Flighter.

Writing? Entirely up to the refill.

D.ick

~

~

Better made may be the wrong phrasing. More interesting materials may be closer.

I realize everything is subjective and upto each person to decide, other wise we would have but one pen.

I prefer hefty pens made of Sterling Silver. Not just smooth but Adorned with fancy engraving.

If of resin or some other "precious resin" I prefer one that has a brass sleeve to give it weight.

Lots of colors in my resin is also a requirement.

You can have non of the above with a Bic ball point.

Again this is just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are likened to, right?

@ Zaphod

Sure Cramer, I agree that there are some beauties out there, and beauty/esthetics may be a good reason to buy an expensive ballpoint.

The difference with a fountainpen is, that the internal system DOES make a difference, although I have come back from my initial route of buying the top pens of each brand.

I am a user, and like you, I like some heft (that's why I have no Omas...) And while I like a good looking pen, I have stopped paying top money for looks, when the same or better writing experience can be had for a fraction of the money.

Those wanting to pay top money for top looks: great, and please enjoy it, but don't confuse top looks with superior quality.

The usual disclaimmers apply: YMMV and IMHO :)

D.ick

~

~

@ Zaphod

Sure Cramer, I agree that there are some beauties out there, and beauty/esthetics may be a good reason to buy an expensive ballpoint.

The difference with a fountainpen is, that the internal system DOES make a difference, although I have come back from my initial route of buying the top pens of each brand.

I am a user, and like you, I like some heft (that's why I have no Omas...) And while I like a good looking pen, I have stopped paying top money for looks, when the same or better writing experience can be had for a fraction of the money.

Those wanting to pay top money for top looks: great, and please enjoy it, but don't confuse top looks with superior quality.

The usual disclaimmers apply: YMMV and IMHO :)

D.ick

Yes, I totally agree, especially that top looks do not mean top quality. Sometimes the exact opposite is true.

Thank you all for your contributions. As someone who is no Parker fanatic, I was hesitant to purchase a product of said brand. However, I was quite disappointed with Visconti's gel-ballpoint refill that was included in my Rembrandt. I immediately set out on a mission to find a compatible refill. Upon stumbling across several articles about the shapes and sizes of refills, I discovered that Parker-style refills were almost ubiquitous in the world of ballpoints. What did I do next? I ventured into the depths of the local office supply store and found a Parker ballpoint refill. It's no Montblanc, but it serves its purpose.

Urushiphile

Most comfortable ballpoint 'prize' would be the Pilot Acroball, or Stabilo Smartball (this uses Parker refills and has touchscreen prodder on the top. left and right handed versions.)

For pens using 'Cross' refills, 'Stratford' or 'Calalis'.

For pens using 'Parker' refills, Jotter with plastic barrel (better grip), or again Stabilo Smartball.

Edited by Mike 59