• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

And here we're indulging in great English lit, Truffle! Too busy checking the page 3 girl back in school?

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, SAY NO MORE!

we must do this little dance at shows!

I am less flex and more snap, crackle and pop these days....

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Portobello this week, was really quite a busy one!

There was a fairly steady stream of pen collectors, and pen fanciers who came to my stand, and having looked over my stock, they all chose the ones that they wanted, and all appeared to go away happy with their purchases.

At one point during the day, I popped along the road. to see a vintage watch dealer friend of mine, who buys fountain pens on occasions, and fortunately he had two for me this week, firstly a Conway Stewart 60, in red herringbone pattern, and the other one was an Onoto Magna, in black, in nearly mint condition, but for the nib, which has a fairly large split along the nib. Fortunately, I have a replacement nib, and I am pleased to say that it is now serviced, and is now in my Pension Scheme Folder with all the others!

All in all, it was a very good day!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

Portobello this week, was really quite a busy one!

There was a fairly steady stream of pen collectors, and pen fanciers who came to my stand, and having looked over my stock, they all chose the ones that they wanted, and all appeared to go away happy with their purchases.

At one point during the day, I popped along the road. to see a vintage watch dealer friend of mine, who buys fountain pens on occasions, and fortunately he had two for me this week, firstly a Conway Stewart 60, in red herringbone pattern, and the other one was an Onoto Magna, in black, in nearly mint condition, but for the nib, which has a fairly large split along the nib. Fortunately, I have a replacement nib, and I am pleased to say that it is now serviced, and is now in my Pension Scheme Folder with all the others!

All in all, it was a very good day!

Can't wait to see you this weekend for the Trunk show! Bring a sweater or two!

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

That's jumper to you, Truffle.... Wintry precip expected for Wed and Thurs, just plain old cold the rest of the time.

~~Larry Brown

Good morning!

Today, I will be packing my two cases in preparation for the big trip to Little Rock. This might sound fairly straightforward, but it always worries me, until I've done it, and then 'double-checked' that all the vital things are in there! In fact, I seem to remember that we had to go out to a hardware shop last year to pick up some tool that I had missed while doing the packing!

I will take your advice, and take a 'sweater' [or a jumper!] with me!

Am I correct in assuming that the 'Warm Fuzzies' haven't been as troublesome as they have in previous years? I hope that is the case, as I'm a little out of practise at dealing with them nowadays!

The camera is 'on charge' Esterbex! Hopefully you will be relieved to know that, you after all, will be the official 'camera person', and can post a whole load of pictures on this thread over the next few days! If that's alright with you!!!

I received an E-mail this morning from some people from Texas who are planning to come to the Pen Show, and just wanted to confirm that I will be there! I was happy to confirm that subject to a successful flight, I would be there!

BTW, I'm looking forward to having an all American Hot Dog for lunch on Thursday, with a whole bunch of the 'Extras'!!! Relish, onions, American Mustard, and ketchup!!!

There is a fairly 'local' Red Lobster Restaurant nearby to the Hotel, isn't there? I sincerely hope so!

I wish I could make the trip to LR this year! Earning a living really interferes with my pen life :). All you Dallas area folks have a safe trip - and you, too, TruffleFinder!

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I offered to carry his bags............pigeon went to the wrong address!!!!

Any sign of Henry and his bags yet? Warn all Lobsters please........hide melted butter!!! I don't seem to have emoticons at my disposal - but you can imagine a few here!!!

Hugs,

Chris

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

I'm afraid this poor fellow didn't get the memo in time....

"Now, now....Get our own!"

fpn_1424958197__imag2094.jpg

"Let me show you how it's done...."

fpn_1424958300__imag2095.jpg

I can assure you, not a morsel was left behind....not one. :o :o :o

~~Larry Brown

Knock - knock!!!!

Anyone seen Henry???

Hugs from cold Cornwall.........

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Well it seems they attempted to hold him hostage in Little Rock, then again in Dallas....something about possible ties to ISIS.

But it was all a case of mistaken identities and he has definitely landed in Ol' Blighty. I'm sure with a bit of recovery from jet lag and

general orneriness we'll hear from him shortly. :P

~~Larry Brown

I seem to be suffering from a bout of jet-laggedness this morning! [bTW, Esterbex, I've tried to look up the word 'orneriness', and there does not seem to be such a word in my dictionary! But then maybe it's an Americanism!] :wacko:

Well, the Little Rock Pen Show was very nice, it was great to see all the familiar faces from the last few years. Sadly there seemed to have been a lower number of people coming to the show in comparison to previous years, but it was very enjoyable nonetheless.

I was very pleased to have found two vintage fountain pens while I was there. The first one I found was on the first day of the show, and it is rare, a Sheaffer Balance Demonstrator, which was rather dirty, [but it's not now!] and the other one was a Nassau Green Parker 51, [a pen which I have never owned] but that one needs some work doing to it, and I haven't got to it yet! :rolleyes:

The journeys to and from Little Rock were both horrendous, in fact, I would go so far as to say that I have never had such troublesome travels ever before! It seemed as though I must have really upset the Gods in many ways, because it appeared that at every stage of the journeys, there were more problems! Can I at this point say, that I find American 'officialdom' is probably the worst in the world, it's almost as though they do not want any foreigners to darken their shores at all, they are so unwelcoming! But of course the problems were caused by virtue of the delays, which meant that I had to be directed to the opposite end of airports to board alternative planes, but only after I had picked up my case, and gone through passport control, and the ever present 'Security' checks!!! All great fun, particularly if one's Asthma is playing up, and you are feeling a bit 'stressed'!!! :unsure:

I did enjoy the Trunk Show at the Vanness shop in Little Rock on the Thursday, where I was warmly welcomed by those folks who came to see me. :P

Thankfully, there were no surprises with regards to the Warm Fuzzies!

Hopefully, Neal will be posting a few photographs on here pretty soon.

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

Mr. Truffle Finder,

Please accept my apologies for the added security of your "offspring" government!

I remember discussing with a friend of mine (a contemporary of my Father's) my fondness for travels in England. ( I had just returned from the Cottswolds & Bath where I had the pleasure of the Royal Crescent!) When she explained her love of same was because she felt England was "nice" in the way she remembered America before we "ruined it!" I then remembered a call I had made to a cousin who was living in London once when I visited. She was bemoaning the time it took her English clothes dryer to complete it's task compared to her's "back home." As I was aware she had "persons" other than herself to operate those machines I was never so glad I was only "calling" & not spending any time with her. She did express great love of the American Woman's Club she had joined ( which only told me how sad I was for her. )

So I am afraid you were just experiencing our "bigger & better" approach to anything that will "sit still!" (Somehow I always felt more comforted by the direct appearance of French, Italian & S. American "carbineer" than our myriad of airline "securities.")

Again I am happy you enjoyed your time in Arkansas & only sorry I was not able to join you for your lobster dinners. Perhaps someday you can also try a lobster "roll" in Maine. It is delicious & served in places that are a bit more enjoyable than our airports! And never fear the definition of orneriness I am sure it is a euphemism for "beloved."

.... And never fear the definition of orneriness I am sure it is a euphemism for "beloved

Ehem....right. :rolleyes:

~~Larry Brown