Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole 2015

RMN

Thank you for the compliment 'Fountainpagan'!

It would appear that there are new people visiting this thread from time to time.

I wish that more of them would say something though.

Truffle Finder. :)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

I received an E-mail from an old friend, [by the name of Don Yendle] last week, he wanted to know if I would be interested in restoring, and then selling the remains of his collection of Mainly Conway Stewart vintage pens.

[For those of you, who might not be familiar with his name, Don was the man who re-kindled the Conway Stewart name, and opened the factory down in the S West of England about 20 odd years ago!]

It was really good to hear from him again, and I have replied to his E-mail, so now all I have to do is wait until the 70 odd pens arrive!

Viola... here's my original pen (cap) and then new, modified version created by Henry. I think the sheet silver design as shown is the side that Henry will curl into a new design. No doubt he can explain more.

Neal.

fpn_1437660497__nealscap2015.jpg

Viola... here's my original pen (cap) and then new, modified version created by Henry. I think the sheet silver design as shown is the side that Henry will curl into a new design. No doubt he can explain more.

Neal.

fpn_1437660497__nealscap2015.jpg

Exquisitely elegant!!! :notworthy1:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

It is very elegant indeed Esterbex!

But I can't take the credit for that, as I have said earlier on this thread, the original design was used by Rene Lalique for the handles of the spoons and forks in a set of cutlery, in the 1900's

It's all plagiarism really!

You know what they say about a 'good' piano player, he can play really great music, but he didn't necessarily compose it!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

It is very elegant indeed Esterbex!

But I can't take the credit for that, as I have said earlier on this thread, the original design was used by Rene Lalique for the handles of the spoons and forks in a set of cutlery, in the 1900's

It's all plagiarism really!

You know what they say about a 'good' piano player, he can play really great music, but he didn't necessarily compose it!

But like all great music, it is in the execution. Close inspection reveals the art... the way the pattern appears to overlay parts of it self (the picture of the cap exemplifies this) - the proportion and subtlety (akin to the dynamics and volume of a great musician). You play the Rach 3 and are not found wanting... Thank you for bothering :D

<p>Tack</p><p>Australia</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-family:verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"><em>Never confuse legibility with eligibility....</em></span>

Another fan has discovered your artistry today. Our eldest saw me using the CS100 with your overlay band on the cap, and was very taken with it. He then spent the morning immersed in this and the original thread - and he is still unable to speak without muttering superlatives.

An extraordinary feat, Truffle. I can't recall him ever being thus captivated previously. I suspect he is now plucking up the courage to ask his parents to buy him one of your overlay pens for his twenty-first next year.

I can see that I will have to start economising!

I recall my first swoon here....

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Thank you for your comments 'View from the loft', and I'm very proud to think that I have gained another person who appreciates what I do!

I will go off to Portobello this morning with a spring in my step!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

I'm very proud to think that I have gained another person who appreciates what I do!

Any time someone sees your work, they must appreciate the quality, style, etc. I can't imagine anyone seeing your work and *not* being an instant fan!

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Looking forward to hearing about your Saturday :)

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Saturday up at Portobello Market wasn't bad at all.

It started off with a visit from an old [pen] friend named John, who had come up to London from the Home Counties to see me, and the 'Camera Man' [George]. Which is another hobby that he indulges in from time to time!

Then a couple from the USA arrived, and after going over most of the pens that I have in stock, decided to go for a nice Watermans 'Red Agate' patterned pen.

An Englishman then turned up, with about 8 vintage and modern pens, that he was trying to sell for a friend of his, sadly only one of them was worth going for, it was a Deluxe Duofold in Green and Pearl plastic, and apart from 3 capital letters engraved on the side of the cap, it was a very good price, so I bought it. I am pleased to report that it is now fully serviced, and you would not be able to detect any problem with the cap!!!

Then a couple turned up from Italy this time, and the wife told me that her husband had heard of me from a Web-site [similar to this one!] in Italy! [it's amazing how small the World has become since the Net's appearance, but I still wouldn't like to paint it!!!] They looked at pens for a while, and eventually settled on an Easterbrook Relief pen from the late 1920's or early 1930's, with a V Broad Oblique nib.

A collector/dealer friend of mine then came, and he also bought another Red Agate Watermans vintage pen.

Needless to say, I didn't manage to read very much of my book, during the course of the day!

Fortunately, both the weather, and the underground system were working in my favour both going, and on my return!

PS. Thanks for asking Science Chick!!!

Sounds like Saturday was busy.

Don't forget to check travel arrangements for this weekend in goof time as it is Ride London, with lots of road closures on both days.

Well, after nearly a year since the inquiry was first made to me, I have just heard from a gentleman, whose father's vintage fountain pen collection [of approximately 1,000 pens] had been damaged by floods!

It would appear that the bank, [who were looking after the pens!] have agreed to compensate the man for the full restoration costs. So now we have to work out how we are going to ship the collection to me, [probably in batches of 100] and when they are done, the driver can pick them up from me, and drop the next batch off!

It is very strange, but I was talking to a good [pen] friend of mine only yesterday, and this had come up in the conversation!

Stranger than 'fiction!'

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

Could you advise please Henry if you are at Portobello all day on a Saturday, I have read elsewhere that it is important, or at least a very good idea, to be present around 7:00am

Thank you

The 1000 pen flood damage sounds remarkable, presumbly they were stored in an underground vault. You would hope that the bank will not chelp if the restoration costs exceed the market value.

Well, Beechwood, maybe it's my advanced years, but for the last year or so, I had decided to get to my stand at Portobello Road, by 9.00am, and I think about packing up to go home at about 2.00/2.30pm.

I'm sorry if that doesn't fit in with your itinerary, but most people seem to be happy with my hours of attendance!

Suits me very well thanks Henry, it shows that you should not listen to gossip!

I hope to see you this Saturday or next.

Best Regards

G

Well, it's Saturday again!

I have had a phone call from a gentleman who is a 'Prop' buyer for a film company, and he is coming to see me today at my booth at Portobello Road. He told me that he needs a few fountain pens from the late 20's or early 30's for a film that will be made shortly.

I have been asked to find out about the film , with a view to telling people visiting this thread, and when it is likely to be released, but knowing me, I might forget the essential details about it, but we will see!

I hope that the rest of the day will be good.