Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole 2015

RMN

My SOL wants to get in on the fun....with a friend....Peter Pan. My largest and and smallest pens.

fpn_1448587416__20151126_1856450.jpg

fpn_1448587908__20151126_181844_1.jpg

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

It's loading fine here. Files may be too large for your connection. I reduced them before uploading.

~~Larry Brown

Having experienced yet another rather quiet day at Portobello again on Saturday, I have regained my enthusiasm to get on with the Marilyn Monroe overlaid pens.

It is a rather laborious procedure, scouring and polishing each overlay, but now that the base pens have been made, I find that I am in the 'hot-seat', holding the process up! So, I will have to re-kindle my enthusiasm, and get on with it!

These pens will eventually be sold via British Bespoke Pens, which was a peculiar situation, mainly because it was originally going to be made for Conway Stewart, then they went into Administration, and then Onoto took over, then it sort of 'evolved' [as so often these things do!] and BBP took the reins!

Happy Days!!! :) :D :excl:

As has been the 'norm' for the last three weeks, I haven't got a clue how things are going to be up at Portobello Road today.

I'm all packed up, and ready to go, and I have had no indication from anywhere as to what is going to happen, but as usual, I am trying to be positive, and hopefully some pen collectors might turn up and see me.

I'll keep you posted as to how things go.

Truffle Finder. :) :D

We always enjoy your reports, no matter what happens (or has happened by now since you are several hours ahead of me typing this in the early morning in the U.S.). Good luck today,

Post Script

Many thanks for your posting Postscript.

I'm pleased to report that things have improved this week, it all kicked off with an American [fairly early on in the proceedings] in fact I had only just returned to my stand, having been up to the fruit and veg market to stock up on 'goodies' for home consumption!

He had bought a few of my overlaid pens in the past, but I hadn't seen him for quite a while [i should think a couple of years anyway] and so he asked me about my more recent creations, and it looked as though he was quite interested, and then I showed him a silver overlaid teardrop patterned button filling Easterbrook pen in hard rubber. I must have made this overlay at least four years ago! Anyway, we talked about the price, and then we agreed, and he bought it!

The rest of the day was taken up with selling of mainly vintage fountain pens, [one of the customers was a charming lady from the Far East], who is a Fountain Pen Network user, so you never know, she might report back on this thread, you never know!!!

It was certainly a pleasant relief from the last three weeks!

I would like to make a suggestion to anyone out there, [who likes reading books] to get a recently published book about Wanstead House.

The title is:- 'The Angel and the Cad', by Geraldine Roberts.

As the title suggests, it is a tragic story about a young heiress who fell in love with a man who then proceeded to squander her family fortune within a very short period of time. Her family were at that time the richest in England, and Wanstead House was one of the largest palaces in the country. It is a very sad story, but it is fascinating.

The incredible wealth of her family, was accumulated from the proceeds of the East India Company, [comparable to the gross national product of smaller 'countries' at that time!] and was spent over the course of just a few years.

Having been born and brought up in Wanstead, it is a story that I have been aware of, but as far as I am aware, this is the first book that deals with this true story. I have often thought that it should be made into a BBC costume drama, but I suspect that that might only happen after quite a few years of further research, and script writing etc:

I must point out, that I personally have no affiliation to the author of the book, but having read quite a lot of it over the past week or so, I felt that it might interest some of the people who 'look in' to this thread.

Truffle Finder.

As usual, I haven't got any clues regarding how many people might turn up to see me today, but at least [if it isn't busy] I will be able to continue with my book, which I am thoroughly enjoying so far!

I'll let you know later how things have gone.

Surprises all round today!

i wasn't aware of it, but there is an auction on Monday of next week, at Bonhams auction house in [or to be more precise, just off!] Bond Street, comprising a wonderful selection of Namiki Lacqueured pens, as well as many limited edition Mont Blanc Pens, and other fairly well known makes of pen manufacturers.

As a result of this 'pen excitement' in London, there were quite a few familiar faces who turned up at my stand at Portobello Road today. The first person to appear was an old friend of mine named Osman, who is Turkish I believe, and ever since I have known him, [probably 20 years or so] he has always been so helpful to me when it comes to very complicated filling mechanisms, especially during my early days of collecting.

Another very good friend of mine from Australia came along, to drop off a couple of Fountain pens for repair, and then he wanted to see my stock of pens, and he left with a couple of nice examples which he fancied.

A few other people came along to pick up their pens which I had received from them last week, to repair, so all in all, it turned out to be a fairly busy day, but particularly nice to see so many familiar faces again.

This morning, I found that I had received an E-mail, [from the Managing Director] of a very well-known 'super-car' manufacturer, informing me that he has got one of the 'pen, pencil, and ball-point' Rolls Royce Sets, which were made by Conway Stewart, shortly after 2,004.

The problems with the set, seem to be that one of them has been dropped, [and has got a cracked barrel], and the fountain pen has problems with the ink-flow! [i seem to remember that C/S had problems with their nib/feed units at that time].

I think that I will make a phone call today, and talk with my friend down in the west Country, [who makes my 'base-pens' for me], to see if he can sort out the cracked barrel for me, and depending on the result of that inquiry, then I will contact the gentleman concerned, and let him know whether I will be able to help him out.

We shall have to wait and see!

Truffle Finder.

Edited by Truffle Finder

Well, I'm happy to report that I have had a long chat with the gentleman, and he is going to send me the pens shortly, for me to repair them.

He did sound so relieved to get the news that someone was prepared to try and help him.

Let's hope that everything goes off smoothly.

Truffle Finder.

I am fast coming to the conclusion that I am the only one who posts anything on this thread! A slight over-statement, but we do seem to have a number of 'visitors' to this tread, but very few make any comments, [which incidentally would be most welcome!!!]

Anyway, having got that off my chest, I am very pleased to report here, that today at Portobello, was a very good one. I had received an E-mail during last week, from a gentleman in Singapore, who said that he was coming over here, and he would like to see me at Portobello Road. He arrived mid-morning, with his delightful children, and proceeded to try some of the pens, settling on two that he liked.

Then there seemed to be a procession of people who wanted pens to give as presents for Christmas, and that was basically how my day unfolded today.

For those who might be interested, I will be attending my stand at Portobello next Saturday [boxing Day] from about 9.00am, until about 2.00pm, in the afternoon.

PS. Merry Christmas!!! :D

Edited by Truffle Finder

It is strange for us in my country, being in shop on the second day of Christmas, although these days more and more larger shops, especially furniture-malls, gardening-centres and such open up on the day after Eastern, Pentacost and Christmas. Traditionally those feasts are observed on 2 consecutive days here. But as more and more people get a-religious and do not object to some shopping on those days many shops are giving in.

And merry Christmas to you too, Henry

D.ick

PS: Please notice, that your "mega-topic" will get a rejuvenation early 2016, just as happened in January 2015. I'll try to make the transition smooth. D.

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Well, it is nice to see that I am not the only one contributing to this thread! Including a reference to Monty Python!!!

Thanks for the warning about the re-juvenation of this thread in the New Year RMN! It hadn't actually crossed my mind!

Today's news, is that I have got a couple of Pen repairs that were dropped off to me yesterday, and there are a few which I bought while I was at Portobello so that should keep me fairly busy until I get started on the cooking for tonight's supper. So much to do, so little time!!!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :lol:

Happy New Year, Henry; from one who does check in or comment on occasion. It is fun to live vicariously from across the pond as you report on your adventures at Portobello and in particular Cornwall. My wife's family is from Mevaghissey (hope I spelled that right; if not please don't tell).

Post Script

It is strange for us in my country, being in shop on the second day of Christmas, although these days more and more larger shops, especially furniture-malls, gardening-centres and such open up on the day after Eastern, Pentacost and Christmas. Traditionally those feasts are observed on 2 consecutive days here. But as more and more people get a-religious and do not object to some shopping on those days many shops are giving in.

And merry Christmas to you too, Henry

D.ick

PS: Please notice, that your "mega-topic" will get a rejuvenation early 2016, just as happened in January 2015. I'll try to make the transition smooth. D.

Whether a-religious or greedy, as the American version seems to play out, I applaud those that stand their ground....So....Has Anyone Heard, 3.0? Interesting.....

~~Larry Brown

Yep, Henry/Truffle gets enough traffic here that we now start a new one each year, just so it will load faster. One of the big threads on the board, if size matters. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more!