• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

I'm pleased to report that the big parcel from Australia has arrived, along with the Watermans Patricrian, which is in need of repair. So, the plan will be to get it in the post tomorrow, to Neal, who will I hope do the photography, and then send it back to me.

So, hopefully it won't be too long before the 'before' and 'after' shots will appear on this thread fairly soon!

Truffle Finder. :) :excl:

I will be going to my first pen show in February. driving 8+ hrs to get to the little rock show and stop by Vanness. :)

Yesterday, I attended and took a stand at my old school's Careers Fair.

It was the third time that I have done this, so I was considerably more confident about doing it in comparison with my first time, when I was quite worried about what sort of questions the students were going to ask me about! [You know what they say about working with animals and children!]

I needn't have worried when I did the fair that first time, as these young people were generally quite unsure of actually what they wanted to do in their working lives, [that was the reason why the fair was being held!]

On reflection, it probably took a considerable amount of courage for the students to approach the stands in the first instance, and ask their initial questions.

I followed the basic format, of asking them what they enjoyed doing in their spare time, music, sport, or just a hobby that they found interesting. Then I suggested that they continue to study at their school-work, and get as many 'O' and 'A' levels as possible, but to continue with their past time interests.

I then basically explained to them how my 'hobby' had evolved into what is now my profession, making sure to mention how nice it is to wake up in the morning, and look forward to what I 'want' to do that day, instead of 'accepting' that I am doing a job that I wouldn't necessarily be doing out of choice!

During the course of the afternoon, I noticed that there was a gentleman's face behind the students who were listening to me talking, although I didn't think about it straight away, I asked him later who he was, and he told me that he was a teacher, and he was quite impressed with what I had been saying, and had gone back to find more students to come over and listen to me!

It was so nice to have this positive feed-back from him. Last year, a young lady came along to my stand, and told me that she had been outside with her friends, and they had told her that she ought to go back into the hall and listen to the 'Pen Man', that completely 'made my day', to quote Clint Eastwood!!!

I just hope that maybe some of the students had taken 'on board' just some of what I had been saying.

Truffle Finder. :) :D :P :bunny01:

Great story. I am willing to wager many of us here would like to hear more about your career path as well. Thank you,

Post Script

Great story. I am willing to wager many of us here would like to hear more about your career path as well. Thank you,

Post Script

Well, you could, if you'ld be willing to travel some 1200 miles to Little Rock in 4 weeks time....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Well, you could, if you'ld be willing to travel some 1200 miles to Little Rock in 4 weeks time....

D.ick

A very tempting proposition but the significant other would throw up a caution flag, knowing she would risk yet more pens invading our house.

Post Script

Good point. I was mourning that I'd be sitting in a university class. But this gives me another year to save up because there's no way I'd meet Henry without taking out a second mortgage, er, buying more pens.

I was on the telephone talking to someone [who is also a 'Pen Person!] when I was told the news last night about the departure of both Alistair Adams, and David Cooper from the Onoto Pen Company.

It would be an understatement to say that it was a shock, but for whatever the reasons behind their decision, there will be a big hole to fill, before the company can continue as it has done in the last few years.

It is a great shame from my personal point of view, because I am in the process of making a set of 50 overlays for Onoto in silver, so now I have to decide whether to continue with them, or to scrap them, and recoup my investment so far.

I will not be making a decision in haste, but I would welcome any opinions from anybody who might be interested enough to comment. The overlay in question is the 'Marilyn Monroe' design.

Truffle Finder. :(

I was on the telephone talking to someone [who is also a 'Pen Person!] when I was told the news last night about the departure of both Alistair Adams, and David Cooper from the Onoto Pen Company.

It would be an understatement to say that it was a shock, but for whatever the reasons behind their decision, there will be a big hole to fill, before the company can continue as it has done in the last few years.

It is a great shame from my personal point of view, because I am in the process of making a set of 50 overlays for Onoto in silver, so now I have to decide whether to continue with them, or to scrap them, and recoup my investment so far.

I will not be making a decision in haste, but I would welcome any opinions from anybody who might be interested enough to comment. The overlay in question is the 'Marilyn Monroe' design.

Truffle Finder. :(

Truffle,

An interesting conundrum. If this were me, and I had a contract with the Onoto (as in the company), then I would feel obliged to fulfil the terms of the contract. If there was no contract in place (and contracts can be verbal as well as writen), then I would contact Alastair and David at their new company.

The best advice that I can give somebody in this situation is to act in such a manner that their conscience will allow them to sleep at night.

Whatever your decision, you have nothing to lose by talking to David and Alastair.

View

I would definitely query Alastair regarding this, Truffle, since he was the initiator of the

transaction with you. It's a pity he hasn't given much consideration to you and your

situation in light of this new venture. He could have helped wrap up that loose end

nice and tidy. :huh:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

http://media.giphy.com/media/nib49P6PxC1uU/giphy.gif

~~Larry Brown

It's just gone 6.30 am. and I'm looking forward to hopefully a quite busy day, up at Portobello Road.

Yesterday afternoon, a lady phoned me,just to check that I was going to be attending my stand today, as she wants to travel in to London to pick a fountain pen for her husband's 60th birthday.

So, apart from the possibility that a few collectors might be up there today, it all bodes quite well!

Ever the optimist!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

Optimist or not, it did turn out to be a pretty good day yesterday, at Portobello Road.

Several collectors did turn up at my stand, and thankfully they all found fountain pens that they fancied.

The lady who wanted to buy a pen for her husband's birthday, did turn up at about 12.30pm, but I was already busy with another customer, as he was trying several pens before he eventually chose one that he liked. Having sorted out the financial transaction, he departed and then the lady was able to look over 'most' of the pens in my folders and trays! She tried quite a few of the pens, and eventually settled on a Parker Vacumatic which had caught her eye during her selection process!

I am aware that it is quite difficult for someone to buy such a personal item [like a fountain pen] for someone else, so I had assured her that her husband could always get back to me, [to exchange the nib for example] or if necessary part-exchange the pen, should it not be suitable for him.

I only bought one pen yesterday, it was a 'no-name' red-marbled button filler, with a lovely flexible nib, so that will be sorted out later today!

Quite a good day for this time of year!

Truffle Finder. :)

I look forward to and enjoy reading about your goings-on each week. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

You're very welcome! I enjoy doing it!

It appears that you aren't too far away from Little Rock, Arkansas, so what are you doing at the end of this month?

It would be nice to see you if you come along, and you might enjoy the Pen Show!

Truffle Finder. :) :P :excl:

I look forward to and enjoy reading about your goings-on each week. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Hi ScCh!

Please consider coming to the Arkansas Pen Show Feb 27-28. Many of the Dallas Pen Club attend and we return the

favour by attending the Dallas show in September. Are you a member of that club?

I also see we like a few of the same things...Esties were my first loves....You might find a few at this show as there will be

mostly vintage vendors in attendance.

~~Larry Brown

I had a bit of a disappointment last night, I was going for a Parker Senior 1920's Mandarin Yellow pen on E-bay, which was in need of considerable restoration, which I would have enjoyed undertaking, if I had been successful. Right at the last few moments I was 'pipped at the post'!

Still, you can't get them all!

Truffle Finder. :unsure: :(