• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• billydo

Yes, Esterbex, I can confirm that I will be attending the Little Rock Pen Show at the end of February, also the Trunk Sale at the Vannesse Pen Shop on the Thursday before the show!

This is all dependant on the Warm Fussies infestation at the Hotel, [like a couple of years ago!]

Still, I've been checking over my utility-belt, and everything looks in order, so I am well prepared!

We'll see!

Truffle Finder. :) :excl:

A few weeks ago, I mentioned on here about a French Lady who has asked me if I would be prepared to teach her how to make pen-overlays. Well, things have moved on from there, in that she will be coming over here, to my workshop on Thursday afternoon, and then I will run through the various procedures that she will have to learn. I think that it will take the best part of the afternoon, and after that it will be a case of meeting her at Hatton Garden in London to buy all the kit that she will need!

It might sound a bit optimistic to think that I will be able to transfer that amount of information in such a short time, but when it comes to actually making over-lays, it is all down to 'practice', and preparation!

I will of course make it clear to her that she can come back to see me about any problems that she might encounter, as many times as might be required, but basically, she will be on her own, although I would like to see her progress, as her skills improve.

I will keep you 'posted'!

Truffle Finder. :) :excl:

I can see the history books now...

The early 21st century Simpole school of overlay is credited to the influence and teaching of one Truffle whose students went on to become master artisans in their own right. As Tiffany is renowned in glass and Wright to architecture, so the resurgence in overlaid fountain pens can thus be laid to the London training ...

GP

You should become a writer... :P

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Just writing a quick post to thank Henry Simpole for giving me advice on where I would be able to find a replacement cap for my Conway Stewart Winston.

Such a shame I wasn't able to custom make an overlay cap for my pen!

I have often said that Henry should write a book maybe you could help him, you know like a ghost writer

sorry I could not resist.

You speak the plane truth on that. A mysterious French Lady coming to him for instruction? Sounds very readable.

Post Script

Oh, my. Sir, your work is so exquisite it brought tears to my eyes. Although I shall never be able to afford your artisanry, I appreciate being able to view your work just like I have the Mona Lisa, at a distance and with great admiration for a master of his craft.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Well, I'm happy to report that my French guest has just departed from my workshop, having spent most of the afternoon with me, learning the basic techniques I use to make my overlays.

We started off with the procedure that I use to transfer the design to the flat raw silver, and then having done that, I showed her how to use the piercing saw, and then we worked on some engraving practice.

That may sound like a very intense afternoon's work, but in fact the lady concerned was becoming very proficient by the time she departed!

I kept on telling her, that basically, it will all be down to practice, and infinite patience, but that as long as she remains determined to succeed she will get there in the end!

On her way out, she thanked me very much, and told me that definitely wants to continue with it! Which was very encouraging!

Our next meeting will be to meet her at Hatton Garden, and I will give her my advice with regard to the tools that she will need to carry on with her new found 'pastime!'

Truffle Finder, :) :D :excl:

I can see the history books now...

The early 21st century Simpole school of overlay is credited to the influence and teaching of one Truffle whose students went on to become master artisans in their own right. As Tiffany is renowned in glass and Wright to architecture, so the resurgence in overlaid fountain pens can thus be laid to the London training ...

We have a historian amongst us!

Well, I'm happy to report that my French guest has just departed from my workshop, having spent most of the afternoon with me, learning the basic techniques I use to make my overlays.

We started off with the procedure that I use to transfer the design to the flat raw silver, and then having done that, I showed her how to use the piercing saw, and then we worked on some engraving practice.

That may sound like a very intense afternoon's work, but in fact the lady concerned was becoming very proficient by the time she departed!

I kept on telling her, that basically, it will all be down to practice, and infinite patience, but that as long as she remains determined to succeed she will get there in the end!

On her way out, she thanked me very much, and told me that definitely wants to continue with it! Which was very encouraging!

Our next meeting will be to meet her at Hatton Garden, and I will give her my advice with regard to the tools that she will need to carry on with her new found 'pastime!'

Truffle Finder, :) :D :excl:

Amazing work with the pens, and even more impressive that you are so willing to help another person learn the/your art form.

I am up earlier than usual, [it being Saturday, so as a consequence Portobello!] and I have absolutely no idea how things are going to turn out during the course of the day.

All the pens that were left with me last week have been repaired, so they will be ready for collection from me at my booth.

It is very strange how optimistic I usually feel, [particularly when I have absolutely no indication about who might be coming to see me] when I am about to embark on another day at the Antiques Market, but I am pleased that I have a fairly positive outlook on life, which must help, I suppose!

Of course one of the things that I can never predict, is that I can never know what fountain pens I might find, or be offered! Maybe that would explain my enthusiasm!

Truffle Finder.

Saturday's Portobello market turned out to be quite quiet, there were plenty of people about, but obviously not too many Pen People!

This morning, a good friend of mine sent me an E-mail, to let me know about a Watermans Patrician, which he had picked up somewhere, and apparently needs some major surgery, so he will be sending it to me to restore very soon.

Hopefully, I will be able to send it to Neal for photography, 'before', and 'after' I work on it!

I'm rather looking forward to tackling it!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

11610 Pleasant Ridge Rd

Little Rock, Arkansas
(501)353-2362

• msg-41965-0-14638300-1422037056.jpg

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown