Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Black - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ErrantSmudge

• Tas

• evyxmsj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perle Noire in european fine, japanese extra fine and my two darkest inks. Just as I was scheming to hack the penmanship's feed to improve hard starts, it starts to behave :bunny01:.

fpn_1521407703__perle_noire_verdigris_ya

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Lamy Black.

This is an underrated black ink; it doesn't show up often in the ever-present "what's the best black" threads here on FPN.

It's not the blackest black around -- it's a "soft" black, with purple undertones. But it is a very well-behaved ink, and flows well with good lubrication. What's notable is it also a very fast dry ink, even on Clairefontaine paper. This makes it a good choice for a general note-taking ink, and I think a better choice than Noodler's Bernanke Black -- which is formulated as a fast-dry ink but isn't anywhere near as well behaved (or as dark!) as Lamy Black.

I have a bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness for when I want "blackest ink EVAR" and also when I need a waterproof ink. But I appreciate the qualities of Lamy Black and also use it in my pens, especially for vintage pens.

fpn_1521937056__lamy_black.jpg

Edited by ErrantSmudge

The weather forecasts heavy rain and even thunderstorms for the next three days. Here's hoping we will all come out of it unscathed.

Pen used: Wing Sung 601.

Ink used: Diamine Onyx Black.

Paper used: Rhodia pad #18 blank 80g/m.

fpn_1522322738__diamine_onyx_black_doodl

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Lamy Black is definitely underrated. It’s not very saturated, so in swabs it doesn’t look very black. But it writes very black, and it’s very lefty friendly. And the low saturation means if you hit it with a waterbrush you get soft washes, not a black puddle. And you can keep fine details.

I haven’t played with it much in fat nibs, so I’m not sure if it can be talked into shading. That seems to be what pushes the grey button for a lot of people. But it doesn’t seem like pure saturation is the way to eliminate shading in black inks. Otherwise this one wouldn’t read as black ever.

I’m not sure there’s any other black with the combination of excellent dry time and art friendly washes. And definitely not for as cheap.

The next closest I can think of is Font India, but it’s not as well behaved.

• 3 weeks later...

post-42152-0-07476600-1523842357_thumb.jpeg

Some early noodling with a TWSBI eco 1.1 and Platinum Carbon Black. Favorite black ink. And 1.1mm is a really love hate relationship... wide enough for nice line variation, but so brutal and unforgiving if youre trying for crisp calligraphy.

post-42152-0-35831500-1523842556_thumb.jpeg

Great to draw with tho!

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_2_Ink/06-June/slides/2017-06-10_Ink_24.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Q-swab and a bit of writing using a dipped fine sheaffer nib.

Scribal Workshop Raven Black v2

post-127840-0-46983100-1524608640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aysun

• 6 months later...

My favorite of these black's

post-146308-0-50727500-1543049420_thumb.jpg

is definitely Noodler's Heart of Darkness. It works beautifully in my Rotring isograph, which is now finally seeing some use again

post-146308-0-65634400-1543049436_thumb.jpg

Edited by uceroy

I love the doodles.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 10 months later...

I already posted in another Black ink ToD that I mistook for this one. This topic however seems to be the more active one with more swatches so I'll repost the same photo here as well.

Here's Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi. It's soooooo smooth to write with, don't know if it's the ink itself or the pen&ink combo, since both are new to me and I don't plan to ink other pens I own with black. But at some point I will fill the same pen with Pilot Black and Diamine Onyx Black and then I'll get back to this topic with some thoughts on how the inks compare to each other.

post-149236-0-12449300-1569587268_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Eek. My images have disappeared.

Here are some black ink chromas, at least.

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/6615/7066/7531/blax_chromas001-640p.jpg

As a sucker for complex chromas, I find the MB Black fascinating. Is it even a black at all? Waterman and Quink look quite similar.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Eek. My images have disappeared.

Here are some black ink chromas, at least.

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/6615/7066/7531/blax_chromas001-640p.jpg

As a sucker for complex chromas, I find the MB Black fascinating. Is it even a black at all? Waterman and Quink look quite similar.

fpn_1570870229__img_5479.jpg

fpn_1570870245__img_5480.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Well...my Waterman Black is almost vintage (1990s), while I bought the Quink Black recently. What that might mean is beyond me. :huh:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Well...my Waterman Black is almost vintage (1990s), while I bought the Quink Black recently. What that might mean is beyond me. :huh:

fpn_1570987098__img_5487.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

• 8 months later...

fpn_1592889110__three_asian_black_pigmen

fpn_1592889148__three_asian_black_pigmen

fpn_1592889177__three_asian_black_pigmen

Among the three, Hero 234 is the darkest, Platinum Carbon Black is the closest to being waterproof, and Sailor kiwaguro is the one that sheens.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 10 months later...

One of my students just got back from Japan and, good student, brought me a bottle of ink! It was exquisitely wrapped, of course, and inside was more exquisite packaging containing a bottle of Lennon Tool Bar Heaven, which I'm thinking is in their "Atmospheric" range, but I don't see it available stateside yet. Interesting enough to post on here? It's not a grey, but a very unsaturated black. I don't use black ink, but this has some charm?

Lennon Tool Bar Heaven.jpg