Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Black - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_146.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ErrantSmudge

• Tas

• evyxmsj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_147.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_148.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_149.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_155.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_167.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_155.jpg

Pilot Black and Sailor Black

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_273.jpg

This black came with the Sailor Profit.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_274.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Errant, thank you for posting!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/12-December/slides/2016-12-02-Inks_151.jpg

Aurora Black, Parker Quink black. Aurora Black is the left swab, Quink Black is the right swab.

post-132891-0-57240700-1481255127_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Four Noodler's Blacks. I got all of these as samples, and ended up purchasing a bottle of Heart of Darkness.

I'm only posting the samples on Rhodia paper. This is a high-quality, coated paper. I also tested on plain 20lb copy paper and a cheap office notepad.

Noodler's Standard Black

Noodler's Black is probably your best choice if you are writing on cheap paper. It performs well in terms of feathering and had the least showthrough on cheap paper. Dry time is very slow on coated papers such as Rhodia and Clairefontaine. It is a highly lubricated ink to write with.

fpn_1483750626__noodlers_black.jpg

Noodler's Heart of Darkness

Noodler's Heart of Darkness performed best on Rhodia, where it had the fastest dry times of the entire group and the blackest blacks. On cheaper paper, it has issues with showthrough and it puts down a wider line than does Noodler's Standard Black. On cheap paper, it does feather a bit but not as much as Bernanke Black. Like Standard Black, Heart of Darkness is a highly lubricated ink to write with.

fpn_1483750600__noodlers_hod.jpg

Noodler's X-Feather

X-Feather was third place in dry time, behind Bernanke Black and Heart of Darkness. It performs well in terms of feathering and showthrough on cheap paper, but so does Noodler's Standard Black. It's a little darker than Noodler's Standard black, but honestly there's enough overlap in performance I would just go with Standard Black over X-Feather.

fpn_1483750607__noodlers_xfeather.jpg

Noodler's Bernanke Black

Bernanke Black was by far the fastest to dry on absorbent paper, such as copy paper and my cheap office pad. On Rhodia, it dries quickly but Heart of Darkness dries even faster. Also Bernanke Black feathered the most on inexpensive paper, and has the most showthrough. It's the least black of the four blacks tested here.

fpn_1483750618__noodlers_bernanke_black.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Four Noodler's Blacks. I got all of these as samples, and ended up purchasing a bottle of Heart of Darkness.

I'm only posting the samples on Rhodia paper. This is a high-quality, coated paper. I also tested on plain 20lb copy paper and a cheap office notepad.

Thank you :)

Now, we need to put those in a window and compare them in a month and then 6 months.

Now, we need to put those in a window and compare them in a month and then 6 months.

That's a good idea. Stay tuned.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Rohrer & Klingner SketchINK - Thea

This is from Rohrer & Klingner's new line of "Sketch" inks. These are pigment-based inks that work in fountain pens.

Thea is a complex grey, with warm undertones. I bought it thinking I could use it for sketches, with grey being a versatile color to work with in combination with other colors.

fpn_1519928437__r_k_sketch_thea.jpg

The ink is permanent (waterproof) when dry, but you can do washes with a water brush before it dries. Here's a sample of some doodles on Tomoe River paper.

fpn_1519929039__rk_sketch_thea_wash.jpg

Edited by ErrantSmudge